Planning a Hershey, Knoebels, Dorney trip

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Re: Planning a Hershey, Knoebels, Dorney trip

Postby AndrewA86 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:36 am

Knoebels is NOT a "maximum thrills" park. It's a "maximum fun" park.

Pretty much all of their "best" attractions are unique in some way. Phoenix with its buzz-bar-enabled airtime buffet, Flying Turns for obvious reasons, Twister with its inspired layout, the best sets of Flying Skooters AND bumper cars in the US, the cheesy-yet-still-wonderfully-terrifying Haunted Mansion... The list goes on. There is so much variety in Knoebels' selection of unique attractions that you'll be able to find something "new" and interesting pretty much immediately after you begin to feel like something gets "old".

Certainly looking forward to Flying Turns. Maybe even more than Phoienix. I LOVE Bobsled coasters! But Knoebels overall sounds like a great place and I can't wait to go! Thanks for the info.

It's a Maurer spinning coaster. The same size as a wild mouse but with larger drops and twists as opposed to back-and-forth switchbacks. Steel Dragon at Waldameer and Whirlwind at Seabreeze are outdoor examples.
[/quote]

Ok cool. If I can catch it with a decent wait time I will.

coasterbill wrote:Keep your expectations right where they are for Phoenix and Twister. If you do then you'll positively lose your sh*t when you ride Phoenix. :lol:

Otherwise, my only tip is to bookmark this pierogie map. You need to eat these but don't get them from any other stand. They are imposters.

... actually, just eat everything. DO NOT eat on the way to the park. Food is really cheap and really amazing. Eat one of everything throughout the day.

LOL, P.O.S's broken... Sounds great man. I can definitely be counted on to clean up in the food department.

JG-77 wrote:Also, this isn’t related to trip planning necessarily, but I strongly suggest riding Phoenix in the very front, especially for your first ride.

Ok, I'm usually a back first, but I'll take your advice!

Taylor Finn wrote:Some of my personal Knoebels food favs:

Those pierogies, not the ones found elsewhere, sweet tea slushes, waffle ice cream sandwich, breakfast at the food court (it’s nothing crazy, but you can get it before rides open and it’s affordable), cheese-on-stick, warm roasted peanuts in the shell, and pork chop on a stick with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Eat it all.

And don’t miss the flats already mentioned. And maybe give Phoenix a ride in the 3rd row. It’s really great! If you’re going to go ticket route (weekends only option is tickets), stop at Weiss markets nearby and pick up $20 books for $16. Buy a bit more than you think you want.

Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich, wow... Now that sounds good!

I'm going to get the wristband. But thanks for the suggestion.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:55 am

AndrewA86 wrote:Ok, I'm usually a back first, but I'll take your advice!

The back row is pretty freaking good as well, that double-down is terrifying. Pick your favorite but ride in rows 1, 3 and 12 at least once. You'll see numbers on the deck of the station that point you to where you need to go.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby djcoastermark » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 am

I know it's been said, but don't forget to try the mundane looking rides. The park really does a good job of running rides as they were intended. An example, their Wipe-Out. It runs full tilt, at a good clip, both forwards and backwards, and a long cycle. Normally I skip Trabant style rides, but there was no line, hopped on and was quite surprised with this one.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:23 am

A.J. wrote:
AndrewA86 wrote:Ok, I'm usually a back first, but I'll take your advice!

The back row is pretty freaking good as well, that double-down is terrifying. Pick your favorite but ride in rows 1, 3 and 12 at least once. You'll see numbers on the deck of the station that point you to where you need to go.

I always went against the grain and preferred the back car of Phoenix. Every row is great though. It's also one of the only 3 bench PTCs where I have zero interest in wheel seats vs non wheel seats. The ride runs great everywhere because it's at Knoebels and that's just how they roll.

Postby bert425 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:48 am

djcoastermark wrote:I know it's been said, but don't forget to try the mundane looking rides. The park really does a good job of running rides as they were intended. An example, their Wipe-Out. It runs full tilt, at a good clip, both forwards and backwards, and a long cycle. Normally I skip Trabant style rides, but there was no line, hopped on and was quite surprised with this one.

the Super Round Up (kind of "hidden" back by the Eagles/food court area) runs a spectacular program too.

please do set your expectations for Flying Turns to be realistic.

it's a fun ride (and absolutely seemed to be running faster last week then it had when I'd ridden it a few years ago), but it falls way short of "thrilling". but it's a fun family style ride, that if the line is not nuts (but it always is), is worth waiting for. Hit it early, then move on to other things.

don't miss "Black Diamond" either. . . it's not really a coaster, tho it has a couple of "drops" . but a wonderful mish-mash WTF dark ride, that has 3 stories going on in the same ride. and it's right next door to the Miner's Museum, and Knoebel's history Museum . . .
IMG_5030.JPG
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby JT325 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:50 am

I was with a friend on the same 3 park trip a couple years ago. She was done with Dorney in under 2 hours but we could have easily spent a 2nd day at both Knoebels and Hersheypark (yes, we did preview night and the whole next day). Thought I would add my quick two cents. Have fun!
#CPFrontierLift2019

Postby bert425 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:55 am

oh, and do note: "Broken POS" (aka: Powersurge) on Bills Pierogies map, is up and running.

didn't ride it (we rode DownDraft right next to it, on recommendation of Elissa), but Powersurge was up and running!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby prozach626 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 am

We wrapped up a KW, Knoebels, HP trip last month. We did a day at KW, which was cut short from weather. Then, we did a day at Knoebels and 2 days at HP. We did two days, because we stayed at the lodge. We enjoyed the lodge amenities including the restaurants and shuttles. We also stayed two days at HP, because we like to drink beer during the late afternoon leading up to the evening, while at parks. There were plenty of things to do to keep us entertained with the park, Chocolate World, eating at the Lodge, and the Zoo. We also thought HP was a beautiful park. We wouldn't have changed a thing.

I suggest:

Half day at Dorney

One day at Knoebels to break up the corporate park monotony. We had plenty of time to enjoy the park, take several rides on Phoenix, sample the food, ride everything we wanted, and we even took a dip in the pool in the afternoon for about an hour.

2 days at HP, including Hershey Lodge to relax and take everything in to finish up the trip.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby AndrewA86 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks everyone for your input! I've got the trip all planned. I decided to go to Dorney on Monday the 20th with a Hershey preview that night. Then all day at Hershey the 21st, and all day at Knoebels the 22nd.

I was really struggling with the idea of spending 2 days at Hershey or just 1 plus the preview. I've been looking at the wait times all week, and it seems like during the last 3 to 4 hours of the day the park just empties. Everything except Laff Trakk was usually 15 minutes or less. And a lot of the time there were 5 and 10 minute waits for the 3 Intamins. So I think a whole day plus the preview should be more than enough.

I also gotta say that before I posted this I was definitely looking forward to Hershey the most. I just considered the other 2 throw in's because of their locations. But now I am probably looking forward to Knoebels the most. Not just because of what you guys have said about it, but based on some of the youtube videos I have watched like TPR's Roll O Plane POV!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v0qLNYaU7U

Postby coasterbill » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:44 pm

That ride is absolutely brutal but it’s certainly unique. :lol:

I sort of want to ride it again soon even though I should know better.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!