TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR in Japan - 2018 - Theme parks and Japanese Fun!

Update Index!

Day One - Arrival & Tokyo Disneyland

Day Two - KidZania

Day Three - Tokyo DisneySEA!

Day Four - Hanging out in Tokyo!

Day Five - More random Tokyo & Tokyo Disneyland!

Day Six & Seven - Tokyo Teleport, Making Gyoza, Tokyo DisneySEA!

Day Eight - Yomiuriland!

Day Nine - Tobu Zoo & Toshimaen!

Day Ten - Yokohama Cosmoworld & Sea Paradise!

Day Eleven - Hanging out in Tokyo & more DisneySEA!

Day Twelve & Thirteen - Misaki Park & Adventureworld! Bonus Osaka earthquake!

Day Fourteen - Universal Studios Japan!

Day Fifteen - Washuzan Highland & New Reoma World!

Day Sixteen - Hirakata Park!

Day Seventeen - Nagashima Spaland

Day Eighteen - Parque Espana!

Day Nineteen - Legoland Japan!

Day Twenty & Twenty One - Hamanako Pal Pal, Lagunasia, Tokyo Stuff, & Tokyo Disneyland!

Day Twenty Two - Fuji-Q Highland!

Day Twenty Three - Benyland & Lina World!

Day Twenty Four - Tokyo DisneySEA first "official" day!

Day Twenty Five - Tokyo Disneyland!

Day Twenty Six - More Tokyo DisneySEA!

REGISTER for our forum to leave a comment!

Be sure to follow our Twitter and Instagram Stories for live updates from our trip!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's right! TPR is back in Japan because this country is awesome and we can't get enough of it! We will be live tweeting and posting to our Instagram Story during our visit to be sure to check there for up to date posts!

Here's some of the updates we've posted so far!

Day One - Arrival and Tokyo Disneyland!

First of all, this....

De711PQVAAAiCfX.jpg

WOW! I did it! Three different Disney Parks on three different continents in three days! lol (technically less but time zones weren’t in my favor!) Getting invited to the Paris Disney FanDaze event was most certainly a nice last minute surprise, and it allowed me to be able to do this!

De2L2NJU0AEk1o-.jpg

I just got back from Paris less than 12 hours ago and we are already off on our next adventure! Japan, here we come!!!

De2Z4RDX0AIo2QN.jpg

One nice benefit of having loyalty status with Delta?

De2Z4RLWsAArgaM.jpg

A bowl of Cheerios for breakfast!!! (Seriously, LOVE this!!!)

De2cDFJW0AEHq25.jpg

Am I the only one who can’t see a bowl of blueberries without thinking about Judy Hopps and her family’s farm?

De41PQaX0AAUQDM.jpg

Almost to Japan! Only four hours left in the flight! Who thinks we should go straight to Tokyo Disneyland once we land?

De5yFLaU8AAhG1j.jpg

De5yFLOU0AMKNZh.jpg

Just walked off the plane in Japan and these were the first two signs we saw!

De551hOVAAE2jHe.jpg

Just an example of the amazing Japanese efficiency... The plane landed at 2pm and we’re already on the bus to the hotel at 2:30. That includes going through Immigration, getting baggage, pee stop, through customs, buying bus tickets, boarding bus... Oh Japan!

De6O5rFVQAAQTud.jpg

De6O5q8UcAEtCbf.jpg

De6O5q9U8AE-ecv.jpg

Once we’ve seen our first Taiko no Tatsujin machine we know we are officially in Japan!

De6UbZNU8AAcyBG.jpg

Here’s the Tokyo subway map. It’s not as difficult as it looks!

De6UbZMVQAA22J7.jpg

Have Suica card will travel!

I'm about to get on a train...I wonder where I'm going?

[twitter]

[/twitter]

And this is why the Japanese will always kick ass in video games!!!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

De6-VEOUYAAAUop.jpg

I am so happy right now!!!

Watch below to see the replay of our "Tokyo Disneyland Dream Lights" parade footage!

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

De9BQaUUYAAhJTO.jpgDe9BQaWV4AAWx0Y.jpg

Love the “Happy as a rainbow!” theme!!!

De9N12RUEAAkS2F.jpg

De9N12RUcAAcL75.jpg

I should also point out that I only came into the park for the last four hours of the evening and was only charged the equivalent of about $40 for the “after 6 passport!” What an amazing deal

De7LtEGUcAAaGKe.jpg

I love that 30 minutes after walking into the park I’ve already ran into one of our Japanese TPR friends!

De7Ob2JU0AEu3PL.jpg

De7Ob2HUYAAUzg9.jpg

I am not here for the rides...

De7Ob2IUEAA8R05.jpg

...I’m here for the popcorn!!!

De7XXTiV4AAvcHb.jpg

De7XXTfUwAERACZ.jpg

OMG! These two shirts are amazing! I love the Oswald one!!! Which one would you buy?

De7bKqhUYAAwQtF.jpg

I’ve always though it was cool that Tokyo Disneyland has Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin! Many people don’t realize it’s here and is always a nice surprise! This is an attraction I wish had made it to more parks.

De7guJgU0AAkYI8.jpg

De7guJbUYAINfky.jpg

Normally we start our day at Tokyo Disneyland with these INCREDIBLE Mickey Mouse waffles...

De7guJcVAAAXS72.jpg

...but since I’m only here in the evening, I’ll end my day with one! This is a MUST HAVE food here!

The projection show in World Bazaar for the 35th Celebration is just magical!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

De9e57iVAAArQrQ.jpg

35th Celebration Chip n Dale anyone? They are soooo cute!

De9hn8mU8AADks7.jpg

De9hn8mVAAAsZi7.jpg

These gift boxes are some of the most popular merchandise at Tokyo Disneyland! That “Chocolate Crunch” seriously flies off the shelf!!! If you stand here 15 minutes you will watch them re-stock the entire shelf at least once!

De7rdIcVAAEwZSN.jpg

Just ran into two more Japanese TPR fans! Great seeing you guys!

De7s8tfUwAAcX8y.jpg

De7s8tYVAAAQNxp.jpg

Got to ride Pooh’s Hunny Hunt twice tonight right at park closing! This is still one of the most impressive Disney rides! I wonder if the locals still love it or if it is not as special for them anymore? I think it’s amazing!!!

De7v-s3UEAATkTd.jpg

De7v-s4VQAAgKUT.jpg

De7v-tkV4AAaPEr.jpg

De7v-tfV4AAhDtU.jpg

ear America - can we please have shelves and shelves full of Baymax merchandise, too? Thank you!

De78OGGU0AE-8pw.jpg

So there is this weird "fruit theme" going on with some of the Tokyo Disneyland merchandise right now. At first I was all "This is really odd" but then as I kept seeing more of it, I kinda like it! What do you think?

We had a great first day in Japan! Remember to keep up to date with our trip via our Twitter and Instagram story!

Now, POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!! After all, we took the time to write this report, the least you can do is post something nice about it!

Click HERE for Part Two of our Japan Trip!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! I seriously and desperately need to get to Japan.

Had friends bring us back the Rainbow Happiness shirts from their visit late last year. I love them.

Looking forward to following along.

David

yay!

looks like y'all are having an amazing time.

I'm old, and don't twitter, so been following along via the link on TPR front page, but it has been a little frustrating that I couldn't comment, since no twitter account . . now I can!

LOL.. I ended up last night in a youTube hole watching vids about "Squishies". . I TOTALLY understand why KidTums is hooked, I wish I could smell that store, I'll bet it was incredible!

great pics. . keep em coming!

(and I absolutely love that Oswald B&W shirt, and would buy it on the spot)

Ooooo, this is way too much Tokyo Disney for my eyes!

Great way to spend your arrival evening too, Robb, Elissa and Kristen!

Looking forward to more of your visit there, and elsewhere in Japan.

REGISTER for our forum to leave a comment!

Click HERE for an index of all our Japan 2018 Trip Updates

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day two - KidZania! If you've been reading any of our international trip reports over the past few years, you may remember that we have started taking Kristen to the "KidZania" educational theme parks. There is nothing like this in America (yet) even though people keep trying to tell us there are "similar" things, but really nothing like KidZania. In short, KidZania is an indoor theme park based around a fictional city with REAL companies teaching kids about future careers as an adult. Kids will use REAL equipment and go through the same motions as these jobs would in real life giving them some idea of career opportunities later on in life.

There has been talks about bringing KidZania to the US (There was a failed example called Wanadoo City that didn't make it in the Miami area) and there are plans to open one in Dallas. Curious to see how that all goes.

Be sure to follow our Twitter and Instagram Stories for live updates from our trip!

Anyway, onto our day...

[twitter]

[/twitter]

De9yMh9VQAA4mIH.jpg

I want to live in a world where you get updates on the train from the characters of Animal Crossing!

De9zcDAVMAEY6d1.jpg

I love these little “mini escalators” you see all over Japan!

De92ohuVQAAiiLq.jpg

This morning we are at KidZania! We’ve covered this park before and we love it! It’s a kid-based theme park all about learning different careers! It’s incredibly life-like and IMO the best “educational” attraction ever created!

De95cnIUcAACV7q.jpg

De95cnHVMAAqelf.jpg

It’s “English Wednesday” at KidZania today! And not just for English speaking people living in Japan but also for Japanese kids to practice their English!

De95i1SUYAAjS2b.jpg

School groups will come to KidZania on Wednesday’s to practice English! (Note how well behaved they are following the “stand on one side of the escalator” guideline they have here in Japan.

[twitter]

[/twitter]

[twitter]

[/twitter]

De9_2ZaVQAAMdZw.jpg

Kristen’s first “job” is working as a bad-ass courier for the Black Cat delivery service!

De9_2ZbUcAAab8v.jpg

De9_2ZbUEAEu316.jpg

Black Cat is a REAL delivery service here in Japan. I love that they use actual companies.

[twitter]

[/twitter]

De-F8l-UYAAQ7Ik.jpg

Kids earn money for each job they complete. They open up a bank account and even get an ATM card! Then they can buy stuff in the shop at the end of the day!

De-HBzQUYAAN3u9.jpg

Her next job is working in a glasses shop!

De-HBzQVAAAU1bN.jpg

De-HBzQVMAANRbC.jpg

She will learn to make glasses and even cut the lenses and put them together! It’s all REAL equipment! Including cutting the lenses.

De-LxDAUYAURnMU.jpg

Here are the glasses she made! lol And yes, she gets to keep them!!

De-RxSPVQAEuFTN.jpg

The variety of jobs at KidZania is amazing! Here’s kids working in a call center...

De-RxSPVQAAsfqs.jpg

repairing cars, working at a gas station...

De-RxSRU0AAuXf6.jpg

and these kids are legit making pencils!

De-fzQ_VMAIfyhQ.jpg

Yes, there is currently a kid wedding going on right now!!!

De-m3GtVQAAMvgS.jpg

De-m3GtU8AAefl1.jpg

“Science Lab” and “Fire Department” are two more activities kids can do here! There must be around 100 different “jobs” to choose from!

De-qQgRU0AATZJ5.jpg

Now Kristen is working for the bakery!

De-qQgSVMAAH_sA.jpg

De-qQgSU0AAO580.jpg

They made and baked real croissants!

De-rBh2UwAAl4uP.jpg

We just ran into a Japanese TPR fan, Ryo working at KidZania! Thanks for saying hello to us!

De-29JxVAAAqsEJ.jpg

De-29J0V4AATuV_.jpg

De-29JwU0AEDtuq.jpg

De-29JwVMAAZat0.jpg

Kristen’s final job of the day is working in the “soap factory!” (She really wanted to do this one!) We’ve had an awesome day at KidZania!

De-7AM1VQAABUq9.jpg

More

We had such a great day at KidZania! Photos & video does not do justice how great this attraction is! Easily the most practical and entertaining of any “educational” attraction I’ve been to! The variety of "jobs" is just amazing. Everything you could imagine being in a real city from practical jobs like utility workers to fast food and even being a photographer or radio host! It's such a great learning experience.

Side note - KidZania is located in a giant mall in Tokyo and when you arrive the mall is still closed...

De949GAUEAEac_f.jpg

De949GBV4AAhSPj.jpg

De949GDUcAAHurQ.jpg

These shops are currently closed & it is amazing that some mall shops don’t have giant doors covering the front. It’s because they don’t have crime in Japan like in other countries. Can you imagine if GAP Kids in the US just had a small “please don’t come in here” barrier?

Now, POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!! After all, we took the time to write this report, the least you can do is post something nice about it!

Click HERE for Part Three of this report!

Edited by robbalvey

Man, I wish there was a Kidzania around where I lived during my childhood.

What a great way to learn about different jobs and skills involved, etc. I'm

sure it helps some of the kids with their future career decisions.

So, out of all that Kristen did there this time, which job/career

was the most interesting to her? Making her want to do it again?

Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin is definitely one of Disney's underrated gems.

Hunny Hunt still holds up as one of Disney's best.

Reading this makes we want to go back to Japan.

Just those first few hours at Disneyland were worth the entire trip! The waffles looked amazing, and I love the Oswald shirt! And I'm so jealous you visited Kidzania! I can't wait to take Jacob to one!

Man, I wish there was a Kidzania around where I lived during my childhood.

What a great way to learn about different jobs and skills involved, etc. I'm

sure it helps some of the kids with their future career decisions.

So, out of all that Kristen did there this time, which job/career

was the most interesting to her? Making her want to do it again?

KT says her favorite all time Kidzania Activity was the courier service job at the Dubai location. Her favorite in Japan was the eyeglasses. Honorable mention to the McDonalds job in Dubai.

She especially liked the London location as everything was in English and everyone spoke English!

Seeing the variety of age groups at Kidzania makes me wonder if they have different levels of training for different ages?

At the Tokyo location there are suggested ages for each activity and the kids can get more or less out of them based on their ability. There are certainly activities that skew older or younger. At some other locations we’ve been to there were different jobs within some activities for younger or older kids.

^ that really is so cool.

LOL, tho I think i'd get some odd looks if I went even just to check it out (way too old to participate). .but who knows, if we ever get them in Texas, maybe I could take my niece (she's 5).

Day two - KidZania! If you've been reading any of our international trip reports over the past few years, you may remember that we have started taking Kristen to the "KidZania" educational theme parks. There is nothing like this in America (yet) even though people keep trying to tell us there are "similar" things, but really nothing like KidZania. In short, KidZania is an indoor theme park based around a fictional city with REAL companies teaching kids about future careers as an adult. Kids will use REAL equipment and go through the same motions as these jobs would in real life giving them some idea of career opportunities later on in life.

There has been talks about bringing KidZania to the US (There was a failed example called Wanadoo City that didn't make it in the Miami area) and there are plans to open one in Dallas. Curious to see how that all goes.

How can you & Elissa bear being ADULTS and not being able to take part in the FUN!?! I want to make my own eyeglasses and pilot a plane and become a special courier, etc!! Heck, some of my fellow baby boomer friends STILL haven't figured out "their future careers!" (As retirement time hovers for a generation that 'forgot to save for the future,' we'll need a SeniorZania!)

Please keep us updated if KidZania ever successfully makes it to the States. It would, I suspect, take a great deal of organization here to keep such an operation smooth, fun and 'civilized.'

Alice