TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sky diver destroyed by storms.

Unfortunately, the major storms that hit New York today did major damage to a fairground classic...the sky diver.

From the pictures it looks as if the ride is a total loss. This is a bummer, as this ride is rare to find anymore. It's also hard to tell from the pictures, but it may have crushed another ride as well. No injuries were reported.

The last picture was taken before the storm hit.

This happened at the Hudson valley fair.

FB_IMG_1526439653981.jpg.dd678a8d8ef345386e2beadcd9677d3d.jpg

FB_IMG_1526439659741.jpg.f316a131f84fc1f481cf4de1ee12cd3b.jpg

FB_IMG_1526439664961.jpg.8bbc3ee05d59e83aac39a6ca6e3fcd08.jpg

FB_IMG_1526439700956.thumb.jpg.5e3e6a8682894c49729e31e95f35bdd4.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm glad no one was hurt!

Definitely a shame to see one of the rare Skydivers fall. I've only ridden it once at Lakemont Park and really enjoyed the ride. It wasn't quite as good as a Zipper, but it was a step up from a Rock-O-Plane.

...it was a step up from a Rock-O-Plane.

You take that back right this instant.

This is a shame, though. For me it's more because they're classic and rare. Due to single rider bans I've only ridden two of them, and they're kind of uncomfortable, but worth the experience.

I'm lucky to have gotten on one a few times years and years ago at a carnival in Buckingham, PA. It's so much fun. Shame about this one. I live in NYC so I know the wind was crazy today, there were tornado warnings in PA/Connecticut

...it was a step up from a Rock-O-Plane.

You take that back right this instant.

Sorry but I find the Rock-O-Planes pretty difficult to invert. The Skydivers are much easier to spin. I don't hate the Rock-O-Planes; I just prefer Skydivers.

I live 5 minutes from there. Yesterday’s storms were unprecedented. We were hit with hurricanes Sandy and Irene, but they were nothing like this.

It looks like straight line winds at our house but they were over 80 mph sustained and an area of about 20-30 square miles looks like a war zone. Our neighbors have a tree in their living room, mom was told she won’t have power for weeks, it seems like every other tree is down.

This is actually the first that I’m hearing of damage at the “fairgrounds”, though I’m not surprised.

I still can’t believe what happened yesterday. I’ve never seen such widespread devastation from (mostly) non-tornadic thunderstorms.

We got really lucky yesterday. No trees fell on the house and we have power. I wish I could say the same for most of our neighbors.

I live 5 minutes from there. Yesterday’s storms were unprecedented. We were hit with hurricanes Sandy and Irene, but they were nothing like this.

It looks like straight line winds at our house but they were over 80 mph sustained and an area of about 20-30 square miles looks like a war zone. Our neighbors have a tree in their living room, mom was told she won’t have power for weeks, it seems like every other tree is down.

This is actually the first that I’m hearing of damage at the “fairgrounds”, though I’m not surprised.

I still can’t believe what happened yesterday. I’ve never seen such widespread devastation from (mostly) non-tornadic thunderstorms.

We got really lucky yesterday. No trees fell on the house and we have power. I wish I could say the same for most of our neighbors.

glad to hear you're ok, and no major damage to y'all's house.

saw a timelapse of the storm moving in on CNN and was amazed by that! (story was on Port Authority suspending operations due to the incoming storm).

Glad that you are ok.

We're these bad storms expected in the area? The reason I ask, is because the local fair that comes thru my town always removes the seats off of the ferris wheels and taller rides when bad weather rolls in.

Here are a few more shots of the damage to that same fair. Looks pretty bad.

FB_IMG_1526482548773.thumb.jpg.ce2201feb83211044cf12bf5be111198.jpg

FB_IMG_1526482543304.thumb.jpg.8198949bbd945b225bda58cfe0d779c0.jpg

FB_IMG_1526482536801.thumb.jpg.8fe5618d7fb4f954c1a019d476aa7978.jpg

FB_IMG_1526482528934.jpg.7b6d234c0dec59f28fa879f70a0abb2e.jpg

FB_IMG_1526482520710.jpg.92d7449dff250f60e86cf99c497499f6.jpg

FB_IMG_1526482513988.jpg.72c2fcbd02566493ff57f8b977fa5329.jpg

FB_IMG_1526482507075.thumb.jpg.220c77e4f8399c5ebd75c4fb5f248aa8.jpg

FB_IMG_1526482501620.thumb.jpg.76d07a08bf7401ac834672a5ae0026b6.jpg

FB_IMG_1526482496251.jpg.8d876348dac0f663ba1a5f882ed986af.jpg

FB_IMG_1526482466580.thumb.jpg.45dfca2879964caf0042263c8703d7cc.jpg

Whoa dude, glad to hear you guys are OK.

Thanks guys! It’s so surreal seeing these pictures all over national news from Dutchess Stadium. The only time anyone cared about Dutchess Stadium this much was when we had Evan Longoria for like 5 minutes or when they accidentally shot their postgame fireworks into the stands instead of the sky because... it’s the Renegades (Yes that really happened. Yes there is video, Google it. You’re welcome).

Glad that you are ok.

We're these bad storms expected in the area? The reason I ask, is because the local fair that comes thru my town always removes the seats off of the ferris wheels and taller rides when bad weather rolls in.

Here are a few more shots of the damage to that same fair. Looks pretty bad.

Bad storms were expected, but not this.

We’re about an hour north of New York City, we just don’t get this type of weather here.

I spent the morning at mom’s house since she has power lines down across her driveway and a 60 foot tree down in the yard that brought the whole root system with it. I went over with some gas cans, gallons of water and coffee and we were talking to the neighbors a bit. One neighbor’s house is completely destroyed. A tree smashed it completely in half (and it’s a big, 2 story raised ranch). It looks like a war zone for about a 30-40 mile radius. She lives about 30 minutes from Dutchess Stadium (where the fair is), and it’s even worse there.

They’re saying it was a microburst that brought winds in excess of 100 mph to a huge area. There’s no way they would have expected this or prepared for it. I’ve never seen anything like it here, Sandy was bad but this is insane. Tons of buildings lost their roofs or were crushed by trees, it’s a mess and it’s going to be for a long time. I’m still trying to process it.

That said, on my way home earlier I drove by the stadium to see if I could get some pictures (since it was on the way and I had to make a beer run) but the ones that have already been posted are better anyway.

It’s definately the worst collapse I’ve seen at Dutchess Stadium since the last time the Renegades brought in a relief pitcher.

... sorry lol

The biggest takeaway for me is that that ride fell and the janky little Ferris wheel is fine. We’ve been driving by that fair daily and every time we do we’ve mentioned that the Ferris wheel looks like some crappy Chinese knockoff that you would see tipping it’s riders on one of those “Amusement Ride Accidents” websites. I guess I’ll stop talking sh*t.

By the way, the NWS has apparently determined (I have no idea how they determine this) that the winds here and at the fair were part of a “macroburst” with estimated wind speeds of 105 MPH.

I can see why they wouldn’t have prepared for that. I honestly wonder if there was anything they could have really done.