[Photo TR] Down Under 2018

Sea World Australia Update posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: [Photo TR] Down Under 2018

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Great report! Always a big "what if" to see Orphan Rocker. It definitely looks like it could have been a solid coaster.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lake Winnepesaukah & Alabama Splash Adventure

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby chaos » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Now for the coaster-less update of the trip: We took a brief side trip to Queenstown, New Zealand. I highly recommend it, as it is a short flight and Queenstown is absolutely beautiful and feels very vast, clean, and (mostly) untouched. You can take a cableway up to the top of a mountain, where there is a bungy and a downhill cart racing attraction. The ride is fun, but the views from so high up are what make it so special.

We went ziplining with Paradise Ziplines, which also involved hiking through some mountains and around a beautiful stream. Then we went on a jet boat through the river featured in the Fellowship of the Ring and the new Mission Impossible movie. Like I stated before - no coasters, but the scenery and other attractions definitely make it worth the trip.

Vie of lake.JPG
The whole town is situated on this lake
Up to the top.jpg
There is a mountain behind it, filled with fun attractions
Carts.jpg
Racing carts down
View and bungee.jpg
We did not do the bungee, but we did enjoy the view
Ready to zipline.JPG
Ready to zipline!
Beutiful stream.JPG
Here is one of the streams we ziplined over
landscape.JPG
They said may Lord of the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings scenes were filmed in this area
lotr tour.JPG
There were so many Lord of the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings tours driving around
landscape3.JPG
More landscapes that were in Lord of the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings (I think)
river with bridge.JPG
You could also bungee jump over this river
river.JPG
Mission Impossible had recently finished filming here
river2.JPG
Lord of the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings also utilized this river
sunset.JPG
Did I mention this place was beautiful?

Postby bert425 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:17 pm

^ wow.. . what beautiful pictures!

it almost looks like you were on an episode of the Amazing Race, doing go karts, and ziplines :)

great report, thanks for sharing.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby chaos » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Now onto Warner Bros. Movie World.

So I was only given one day in Queensland, Australia. That meant I had a total of 7 hours to go to Movie World, Dreamworld, and Sea World (Australian parks close promptly at 5 pm for some reason, even in summer) But, even though I was only at Movie World for 2.5 hours, I was able to ride all the coasters, eat, and take some pictures and videos.

The staff here was incredibly friendly, but they don't mess around when it comes to "no loose articles". They have eagle eyes when it comes to your pockets. The attendants spotted the outline of my hotel key card in my pocket and made me go put it in the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo.

So I love Movie World. It's what I imagine a Six Flags park might be like if Six Flags invested in theming and a higher quality park experience. My only complaint is that Movie World is pretty small. So here's my take on all the coasters:

DC Rivals Hypercoaster (front seat): This is my new favorite type of hyper coaster! Anyone who's been on the Mack launch coasters knows how comfortable the seats are. Now the first half of the ride has some good airtime, maybe a little more intense than large B&M hyper coaster hills. But then the 2nd half is filled with insane ejector air - like an RMC but without the quirky sideways airtime.
(backwards seat): This coaster backwards is the single most intense coaster experience I've ever had. It left a bigger impression on me than my first ride on X, or I305, or my first ride on Steel Vengeance. It may just be me, but extreme airtime when you can't see it coming is thoroughly unsettling and incredible.
So overall, I think this is a top 10 coaster, and its only real detractor is that it is built next to the parking lot.

Arkham Asylum - Shock Therapy: It's an alright SLC. The ride is only slightly smoother than T3 at Kentucky Kingdom (they both have the new trains with the new restraints). Yes, it does have that cool bonus helix. And yes, it is the best, most intense part of the ride. But what elevates this above every single other SLC is the queue line and the theming. And, if you're going to have an SLC, you might as well theme it to "Shock Therapy" at an Asylum.

Green Lantern Coaster: It's exactly what you expect. Quirky, kind of short, but fun. Not as good as El Loco at Adventuredome.

Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster: I really liked this one. It's like a Wild Mouse, but with lots of fun surprises thrown in.

Superman Escape: The coaster part is a slight disappointment, as it has little to no airtime. However, I had no idea how extensive of a dark ride portion there was. The whole "trapped in a subway" storyline is executed very well, with minimal but effective set pieces. And the moment where Superman "rescues" you left a big smile on my face. I wish Six Flags would clone this coaster (or at least the dark ride portion) cause I would love every single one.

DC Rivals Path.JPG
We headed straight for DC Rivals
DC Rivals Train.png
Those trains look so cool (and comfortable)
DC Rivals Back Row.png
Unfortunately, the back row costs extra (but it's worth it!)
DC Rivals Drop.png
If you've ridden Time Travel in the back, multiply that first drop by ten and you get this drop.
DC Rivals Overview.png
Big beautiful elements in the beginning; crazy airtime at the end
Green Lantern Queue.JPG
All the line had cool theming elements
Green Lantern.JPG
Pretty standard El Loco. The 4-a-row seating didn't change the experience much
Drop Tower Maintenance 3.JPG
The Drop Tower was being worked on
Drop Tower Maintenance 2.JPG
Hard at work inside the tower
Joker and Harley Quinn.JPG
The character actors were really good. Dare I say Disney caliber?
Wild West Fall Closed.JPG
I was bummed out to see this closed
Wild West Falls.JPG
Looks like a great flume ride
Superman Sun.png
This coaster just makes me happy
Superman Launch.png
Superman's dark ride section was amazing.
Superman Out of Tunnel.png
The rest of the ride is fun, but not as great as others like it.
Arkham Entrance.png
The best themed SLC ever
Arkham Coaster.JPG
Looks pretty standard here
Arkham Theming.JPG
But the line is very well themed
Arkham Theming 3.JPG
More theming
Arkham Theming 2.JPG
Even more theming
Bonus Helix.JPG
Bonus Helix!
From Parking Lot.JPG
Hard to say goodbye, but we had to get to Dreamworld!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Wow, how cool! You got to do some really fun stuff there. Looking forward to following this report.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Nice report! I would love to visit that park one day! Looks fun! =)
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:57 am

Great report! DC Rivals backwards really looks like one of the best coaster experiences out there. I loved Time Traveler's backwards ejector air filled drop, so I can only imagine what an entire layout of that must be like.

I'm sort of shocked Superman didn't have any airtime. That looked like a pretty solid layout.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lake Winnepesaukah & Alabama Splash Adventure

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Great report, need to check out DC Rivals. Looks like the best Mack IMO.

Surprised to hear your thoughts on Superman, I thought the two big airtime hills after the tophat had awesome ejector.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:32 am

Lovely report! I also loved Superman and thought it had great airtime (but mostly in the front). Do they still have allocated seating at the Aussie parks? A definite policy downside...

Sydney's Wild Mouse is pretty good but by all accounts didn't live up to Blackpool's version.

Does Not Support The Hobosexual Agenda

Postby Hurricane » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:10 am

They still do have allocated seating, however if you ask the loader if you can wait for a specific seat they will let you.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!