TPR 2017 Coaster Poll Results!

World's best roller coasters voted by TPR members!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: TPR 2017 Coaster Poll Results!

Postby Comeagain? » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:18 pm

coasterer wrote:Question: In the future, will my ballot remain in the system and be counted again even if I don't change it? That may help ridership numbers substantially in the long run as people won't have to resubmit a ballot every year to get counted. Those who have been to lesser-travelled parks can enter their opinions once, and then the number of riders will only grow from there, not fluctuate up and down from year to year depending on participation. That would be sweet.

805Andrew wrote:y question for next year's poll is when we log in will it save our rankings from this year (minus coasters that may have been deleted due to being retired/removed) if we did the poll this year so we can just adjust accordingly and add new coasters or will we have to rank our coasters from scratch again?

Yes. Your rankings won't go anywhere. It'll still require you to go click "I'm done", but the idea is that you can adjust it whenever you like, as you visit parks, and then next year won't take any significant amount of effort to submit.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby BlahBlahson » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:09 pm

Seeing nothing but SLC's and Volares on the bottom Steel somehow brings me...joy. :lmao: Also congrats to Medusa Steel coaster for beating so many taller, faster rides. It seems like the world unanimously agrees that the pace of that ride is ridiculous.

Mystery Mine and the Smiler seem WAY too low for me. Are they uncomfortable or rough for some? I think they are basically perfectly themed, ultra-loopy, fun, wild-mice thrill coasters. I Love the Gerstlauers. Saw: The Ride to a lesser extent as well.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:34 am

Comeagain? wrote:Yes. Your rankings won't go anywhere. It'll still require you to go click "I'm done", but the idea is that you can adjust it whenever you like, as you visit parks, and then next year won't take any significant amount of effort to submit.

To add to this, we'll be gradually entering new coasters into the poll in batches, and we'll let you know when we do so. For example, we know that Twisted Timbers just opened, but we're going to wait for Steel Vengeance, Wonder Woman, and others to open as well and just drop them all in at once.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:20 am

BlahBlahson wrote:Mystery Mine and the Smiler seem WAY too low for me. Are they uncomfortable or rough for some? I think they are basically perfectly themed, ultra-loopy, fun, wild-mice thrill coasters. I Love the Gerstlauers. Saw: The Ride to a lesser extent as well.

You pretty much answered your own question, haha. You love Gerstlauer coasters. Everyone likes/loves/dislikes/hates depending on what they prefer and the group consensus gives us the top/bottom.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:21 am

Okay, I have a question...

Untitled.jpg

I didn't rank Gringotts because I had no idea how to do it. I'm generally sh*t at ranking coasters, so I just went through saying "If these 2 coasters were right next to each other, neither had a line and I had to pick one which would I rather ride".

The problem was that if I did that I would have probably ended up declaring Gringotts my favorite coaster. That seems dumb since when I rode it I didn't even realize it was even considered a coaster and comparing this thing to other coasters is pretty much impossible so I just left it out.

I'm not calling anyone out or anything so I hope I don't come off that way, I'm just legitimately curious as to how anyone ranked this thing and how it ended up where it did. There can't be a single person on this planet who truly believes that a family coaster at Quassy Park is a better ride than Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, right? So how did people decide where to put this thing? Did people just subconsciously bury it because they all sort of agreed that it shouldn't be at the top of a "Best coasters" list?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:37 am

^I think the answer, at least for me, is that Gringotts doesn't quite qualify as a coaster--it's more of a dark ride.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:42 am

Oh, I absolutely agree. My question is that if that's the view of the person ranking it, what causes them to finally say "Okay, this is where I'm putting Gringotts since it's not really a coaster... right after Silver Bullet but before the Mine Train at Ocean Park :lol: ".

I feel like people just pick a completely arbitrary spot and stick it there and if that's the case, why even rank it? I'm not questioning anyone's system since I'm awful at this, I'm just curious how people came up with a place to put this thing.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:33 am

Gringotts was hard to rank because of how unique it is, but I basically asked myself the following for each coaster- if I had an ERT session on Ride X or Ride Y, which would I pick. I did the same thing for other borderline coasters like Journey to Atlantis. I wouldn't intentionally knock a ride down just for not being a traditional coaster, but my preference does tend to lean towards more traditional coasters. That's why I prefer Universal's other coasters like Hulk, Mummy, or Rockit over Gringotts.

And Wooden Warrior is awesome. It has more airtime than you'd ever expect for a coaster just 30 feet tall.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Most Recent Trip Reports- New Reoma World

Postby coasterbill » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:40 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:And Wooden Warrior is awesome. It has more airtime than you'd ever expect for a coaster just 30 feet tall.

Oh we rode it and it was a lot of fun but I mean... that vs Gringotts? Come on. :lol:

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:59 am

Gringott's is definitely weird to compare to something like Montu :lol:

A debate would between the two would be ridiculous "man I love the part on gringotts where the *spoiler* thing happens" "oh man but Montu's batwing is just ridiculous with the positive Gs" "still not as intense is the harry potter character shooting you with lightning on a screen!" :lmao:
In my opinion El Toro and Intimidator 305 ride fairly and are free of material roughness.
(That's an auditor joke don't kill me)

Coaster Count: 113

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!