2018 Adventures Photo TR

Now Kings Dominion'd For Your Pleasure
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: 2018 Adventures Photo TR

Postby TBpony414 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Great pics of your day at HP! It really is a fantastic park and has something for everyone in the family. You can go and ride your tail off on all the coasters or take it easy on the monorail and flat rides, see some shows, just hang out and enjoy the scenery of beautiful flowers, lakes, ducks, and plenty of shaded benches. Their food lines always seem to be long but I appreciate that they have many areas around the park to eat in... including some good "special people" food options as well as Subway. I'll be making my yearly trip up there in 3 weeks! Looking forward to your Kings Dominion report!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Location: Ypsilanti, MI (four hours closer to CP than my old home)

Postby cparkes92 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:14 pm

ericthewanderer wrote:I love that "display case" of damaged phones :lmao: !!I think every major park-especially the SF ones-should have one and make people look at it before people enter the park.

Kings Island has one in the Diamondback line, mostly consisting of phones from the late 2000s
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, GateKeeper
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby DarienPoint » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Looking at that case of phones, and I haven't visited this park before, I thought you had to store loose items in there, I was like "That's so bad, you're items could get easily stolen!" :lmao: :lmao:
Darien Lake is my home park. Sad but also proud about that. :lmao: :)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Playland here in Vancouver had one of those, posted at the entrance queue to Coaster. I loved it!
But it only lasted a couple of seasons, then they took it down.

Or it got stolen, lol. ;)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue May 01, 2018 4:56 am

I agree that Hershey is both "old school" and a bit "cutting edge." That's part of a its appeal.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Tue May 01, 2018 5:46 am

Great report dude, that was one of the best I’ve read in awhile.
Lightning Rod, Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , Phantom's Revenge, , StormRunner

I Love Donkeys!

Postby djmadmanray » Tue May 01, 2018 6:02 am

Hey man, great report! We def have to get back to Hershey Park. It's been a while. Your pictures are awesome, hope to get there this year, thanks!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue May 01, 2018 9:12 am

Great report! Coal Cracker is awesome. I've never gotten even remotely wet on it but it's a super fun ride... definitely one of my favorite rides at Hershey.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sat May 05, 2018 3:28 pm

So the next place we went to was Kings Dominion

I know you're probably sick of reading reports from here since everybody and their brother went for the Twisted Timbers opening, so I'm going to keep this one a little short. I was a week or two late to the party, but better late than never.

I'm quite fond of Kings Dominion. The (formerly) Kings Entertainment and Paramount Parks properties in the Cedar Fair portfolio really are gems and the Kings Entertainment properties have quite the storied herstory. The former owner did the cool Eiffel Tower replicas, shrouded by remarkably impressive entrance midways, in addition to some rides that the two share in common. The latter owner brought in some attempts at Universal-quality attractions. They missed the mark a little on that, but that's really not the point. They didn't do Six Flags cardboard cutouts, either. And while some of the names had to become generic af to meet the Cedar Fair mantra of calling everything "___hawk" or noun-itized verbs like Dominator, the themed attractions are more than skin-deep and carry some unique appearances and theme.

In short, Kings Dominion isn't the best park in the universe, but you aren't stuck riding another mind-numbing B&M hyper where you could be blindfolded and not know whether you were on Mako or Behemoth or Nitro or whatever. No, for some reason KD has always been endowed with completely random but cool sh*t that makes their line-up unique. Drop in a B&M invert, though, I won't complain.
IMG_0749.jpg
As we arrived at the park right at opening, we were apprehensive about how this day was going to go. There were storms scheduled to roll in starting at 1PM and lasting through the whole afternoon. We gamed it out beforehand; Twisted Timbers twice then i305 until they shut the park down. Annnnnd go.
IMG_0750.jpg
Put your f*cking children on a leash and get out of the way so I can take a picture of the sign. lol jk
IMG_0751.jpg
I immediately surrendered to the temptation of Starbucks being in front of my face. My friends bee-lined to Twisted Timbers, but I really wasn't starting my day out without something to eat and cold brew in my veins. Sorry not sorry.
IMG_0752.jpg
Weeeee and down the upside-downsy drop on Twisted Timbers
IMG_0754.jpg
Because this is a site filled with rabid coaster enthusiasts ranking every wacky worm against the next, high off PCP and the recent results of the first legit coaster poll in years, I guess I'll say some things about Twisted Timbers.

Just don't ask me to "rank" it, please. RMC is in a groove with their design abilities and ways to make magic out of little airtime "bumps" like these. As a result, this is somewhere in the upper echelon of the steel RMCs with something like Wicked Cyclone or Storm Chaser for me. It's kind of like Storm Chaser in that they have the twisty drop and a crap ton of intense airtime all over the layout, but I found this one a little more bearable, as Storm Chaser has some moments where you're holding on for dear life. It's awesome, you'll like it. There's this one little turn thing that you go around at a speed that should be illegal. Somebody is going to get a bloody nose from their riding partner having their hands up in that spot.
IMG_0756.jpg
Part of the theme of Twisted Timbers. It's like some kind of apocalyptic apple orchard tornado or some sh*t, idk. It doesn't really need a theme, but it looks good.
IMG_0758.jpg
An obligatory Cedar Fair trash can next to a landscape that isn't very Cedar Fair. This beautiful park is the product of multiple owners, making for a unique park that I absolutely love to visit.
IMG_0761.jpg
Look who decided to show up to the party this year.

We actually had to make a Volcano pit stop before i305 because my friends hadn't been on it yet and had to ride it.
IMG_0763.jpg
I f*cking adore the theme of this coaster, it's genius! Somebody came to a board meeting high one day and said "Yo, let's like make an attraction where we build a huge paper mache mountain and theme it to a volcano, then have it launch you up and out the center of where the magma would all jizz out of", and the rest of the board said a collective "f*ck yeah!" and green lit the thing.

It's not super thrilling or anything but the launches are cool. Admit it, it's awesome!
IMG_0765.jpg
I have two theories. One is that "avalanche" is the volcano erupting and turning all the snow to an ashy, muddy mess and running it off the side of the mountain. The second theory is that "avalanche" is actually a reference to the "snow", aka cocaine, that the guy at the Volcano meeting was snorting right beforehand.

What's that, did you say that Avalanche opened before Volcano? Of course you did, you're a coaster enthusiast and you rank Avalanche against the one at Europa Park very carefully.

Both of my theories are wrong, as it turns out.
IMG_0768.jpg
Jesus this thing is so awesome.
IMG_0770.jpg
We arrived at i305 to find that there was absolutely no wait, the one train on the track was going out with a few empty rows each cycle.
IMG_0775.jpg
Here's a ranking for you. In my very humble and probably provably-wrong opinion, I think i305 is probably the best steel coaster in the US.

The coaster is totally nuts. It's just barely between the line of re-ride the f*ck out of it and "if I ride one more time I'm going to die", depending on how much water you drank that day.

The G-forces are seriously ridiculous, the drop is incredible, the transitions want to snap your neck like Michael Myers on Halloween night. You NEED those shoulder straps to keep your life held together.
IMG_0780.jpg
Am I trying to pass a kidney stone or bear the G forces?
IMG_0781.jpg
Lollllllll not riding Anaconda any time soon. The tunnel feature is cool but if it were torn down tomorrow I'd celebrate.
IMG_0782.jpg
Where the coaster enthusiast buffet can be found ;) And why B&Ms ship with the big boy seats!
IMG_0784.jpg
Ugh, I'm going to get off my high horse for a second and admit that I'm a stupid b*tch who rode this thing for the credit. "I did it because sometimes these have cool pops of air", I tell myself to make myself feel better.
IMG_0785.jpg
I always had a hardon for Batman Knight Flight for some reason when it was new and I was a kid. I just thought it looked super cool, and I'm pleased to say that it is.
IMG_0787.jpg
Coaster enthusiasts be like, "#2 because strong airtime, but the same model at Wherever Park has stronger air so it's my #1!"
IMG_0788.jpg
This is that aforementioned Eiffel Tower. However, it would not be gracing us with good views high above KD on this visit.
IMG_0789.jpg
We wanted a fast lunch due to still being unsure about the future forecast, so we grabbed some Panda Express real quick. However, they annoyingly didn't have Chicken Teriyaki. Blast!
IMG_0790.jpg
We enjoyed our lack of chicken teriyaki *glare* while sitting next to the pretty fountains featured in the plaza leading up to the Eiffel Tower
IMG_0795.jpg
Dominator was next, with it's big yellow loop.
IMG_0798.jpg
It was so busy that day, the line was like 3 hours long.
IMG_0801.jpg
Some subs happily being dominated.

I'm definitely a fan of being Dominated myself. The drop is super fast, then you take the on-the-ground turns at breakneck speed! I think Coasterbill or Bodikus or one of you guys said it's like a "hyper floorless", and it really is. It's like the Kumba of floorless coasters or something. It's super fast and has some good forces. I think people that prefer Kraken or Medusa are drunk.

So, I lied and this report is going to take a second post after all. Sorry bout it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:45 pm

I know you're talking about TT theming. . but all I see is APPLE ZAPPLE :P

and it makes me go WOWIE ZOWIE

oh, and don't apologize for Woodstock. . we liked it so much we got a picture:
IMG_1766.JPG
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!