Photo TR: Opening Weekend Odyssey in The Old Dominion

PART TWO: Busch Gardens Williamsburg!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?
User avatar
 
Posts: 272
Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Gender: Male
Age: 26

Re: Photo TR: Opening Weekend Odyssey in The Old Dominion

Postby CoasterAuditor » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:54 am

^No lie that also makes justifying a Carowinds trip difficult for me as well. I’ve been several times I’ve never ridden Fury 325 because I haven’t been since 2012 and still knowing that when I go it’s like “alright we rode Fury, I232, and Afterburn......now what? Nighthawk?” I mean sure there certainly is still fun to be had but man does it drop off hard in quality after those three.
In my opinion El Toro and Intimidator 305 ride fairly and are free of material roughness.
(That's an auditor joke don't kill me)

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 5247
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Photo TR: Opening Weekend Odyssey in The Old Dominion

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:59 pm

Super late to this party, but just finished reading this whole fantastic report. Twisted Timbers looks great, and I love the steel wrapped around the tree. Very cool. Busch Gardens looks fantastic in every report I see about it, and I'm just going to have to get out there at some point. Really gives me a Grant's-Farm-with-rides vibe that is very right. Williamsburg seems to have the same sort of "nightlife" that Springfield does; we have 7 breweries now, but hardly anything is open late at all. The entire town (about a quarter million) just shuts down about 10 PM. :lol:
Image
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 6113
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: Male

Re: Photo TR: Opening Weekend Odyssey in The Old Dominion

Postby boldikus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 am

^ LOL I wondered if I said/did something. You really do need to get to BGW. I cannot wait to go back later this year.

CoasterAuditor wrote:^No lie that also makes justifying a Carowinds trip difficult for me as well. I’ve been several times I’ve never ridden Fury 325 because I haven’t been since 2012 and still knowing that when I go it’s like “alright we rode Fury, I232, and Afterburn......now what? Nighthawk?” I mean sure there certainly is still fun to be had but man does it drop off hard in quality after those three.


Yeah not to mention (and this is gonna sound super enthusiast-y) but if their legendary flyers are temporarily out of commission and are in fact coming back, I'd like to wait until then. After the B&Ms, those flyers are the only thing that really interests me at Carowinds.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?
User avatar
 
Posts: 272
Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Gender: Male
Age: 26

Re: Photo TR: Opening Weekend Odyssey in The Old Dominion

Postby CoasterAuditor » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:36 am

^That is at max enthusiast levels.
In my opinion El Toro and Intimidator 305 ride fairly and are free of material roughness.
(That's an auditor joke don't kill me)

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 6113
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: Male

Re: Photo TR: Opening Weekend Odyssey in The Old Dominion

Postby boldikus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:32 am

Parks high on my bucketlist have a large(r) (at least seemingly) solid lineup of rides - coasters and flats combined. More bang for my buck. A nicer park also goes a long way. Its a shame because Fury (and Afterburn) both look amazing but its not enough to make that park a must do, for me at least.

Right now its something like this (in order of importance)
Dollywood
Knoebels
Knotts (+SFMM)
Six Flags Great America
SFFT/SFOT/SWSA
Kings Island
Lagoon
Kentucky Kingdom
Canadas Wonderland
Coney Island
SFDK/CGA
Universal/Disney
Carowinds

I've also started to plan a midwest road trip down the line w/ SDC, SFSTL, Nick U/VF, Indiana Beach, HW, etc. Imma have get my drivers license for that one haha.

And eventually a Euro trip? That's way way off. Alton, Blackpool, Thorpe, Heide, Holiday, Grona, Liseberg, Europa, Mirabilandia, Phantasialand, Energylandia, etc

Sometimes I wish I'd gotten into this when I was younger. :?r

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 5247
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Photo TR: Opening Weekend Odyssey in The Old Dominion

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:59 pm

boldikus wrote:^ LOL I wondered if I said/did something. You really do need to get to BGW. I cannot wait to go back later this year.

People who diss Matt Bellamy are dead to me. ;) No, you're cool. Just didn't see it until Robb linked to it on the front page. :lol:

boldikus wrote:Parks high on my bucketlist have a large(r) (at least seemingly) solid lineup of rides - coasters and flats combined. More bang for my buck. A nicer park also goes a long way.

That's a good way to think about it. You and I both became enthusiasts about the same time and in similar circumstances, and that's kind of what I've done too. I started by going to the large Midwestern parks, and after I had done all those, asked "What are the best parks I've never been to?" West Coast Bash was a good way to get to Disneyland, Universal, and Knott's all at once, and then there was Knoebels and Dollywood. Now the highest priority is Sea World.

Your list is solid, those are some good parks. For you, Knoebels and Dollywood are pretty easy to get to bacause you know Bill and he has a car. Get to those ASAP. As much as you like Morey's and Busch Gardens, you'll enjoy Knoebels and Dollywood.
Image
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

I own the website www.donkey.com
User avatar
 
Posts: 837
Joined: 19 Jul 2011
Location: NOVA
Gender: Female

Re: Photo TR: Opening Weekend Odyssey in The Old Dominion

Postby TBpony414 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:57 pm

boldikus wrote:
CoasterAuditor wrote:^No lie that also makes justifying a Carowinds trip difficult for me as well. I’ve been several times I’ve never ridden Fury 325 because I haven’t been since 2012 and still knowing that when I go it’s like “alright we rode Fury, I232, and Afterburn......now what? Nighthawk?” I mean sure there certainly is still fun to be had but man does it drop off hard in quality after those three.


Yeah not to mention (and this is gonna sound super enthusiast-y) but if their legendary flyers are temporarily out of commission and are in fact coming back, I'd like to wait until then. After the B&Ms, those flyers are the only thing that really interests me at Carowinds.


It's kind of funny you say that because Fury and the flyers are the only reasons we make the trip to Carowinds. Last year we did a 2 week long trip down to Dollywood -> Carowinds -> family beach vacation and this year we were planning on repeating it... however, with the flyers gone this year we are considering extending our stay in Pigeon Forge and doing a week there and a week at the beach, skipping Carowinds. Fury is my SO's favorite ride though so we may end up doing a repeat anyhow but the flyers are a big loss this year. I desperately hope they don't do anything to change them in their new location and that you can get those nice little wind gusts wherever they end up

TL;DR: Fury is absolutely incredible but you are smart to wait until 2019 or later to visit Carowinds so the flyers are back and perhaps another coaster added.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron