Boldy's Beer and Airtime Adventures

UPDATE: July 4th Fest @ Great Adventure w/ Fireworks!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Opening Weekend Odyssey in The Old Dominion

Postby cfc » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:13 pm

boldikus wrote:
cfc wrote:The Amber Ox is very good. Were they serving their Cyborg Assassin Kittens IPA that night?

I'm not 100% sure but it sounds super familiar so I'm going to say yes. I had the Twisted Mirror? I think it was called? It was a sour saison and was delicious. One of the best beers of the weekend. I really liked that place and would go there again. Though I don't know if I'd have a choice considering nothing in town is open after dark haha.

Yep--Williamsburg is not known for its spectacular nightlife. :lol: But we have five microbreweries, a distillery, and a mead brewer now.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:39 pm

cfc wrote:Yep--Williamsburg is not known for its spectacular nightlife. :lol: But we have five microbreweries, a distillery, and a mead brewer now.

You ain't kidding! As we're planning for this we're texting each other back and forth about hotels, etc and then it dawned on me KD was closing at 8, and Bill said he'd rather drive right down to WB after so we were already there Sunday morning, I started looking up bars near our hotel (we stayed at the Econo Lodge Colonial) so we had somewhere to unwind if we wanted to (who I am kidding I knew we'd want to) and there was nothing at all.

So I looked further out and found the couple places down near Amber Ox (is that considered downtown?) and all those places closed by 9 or 10pm. All the "taverns" closed at 5!!! I'm texting him "Houston, we have a problem. All but ONE bar is open past 10pm, its a brewery and its open til midnight so that's our only option", which is why we wound up there. Glad we had at least one option for late night dining/drinking.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:13 pm

Great report! It makes me even more excited for my rides on Twisted Timbers. Glad to hear the ride is bonkers and loaded with airtime like all the other RMCs.

On a related note, how was the Econo Lodge in Williamsburg? I'm pretty sure that's the hotel I booked. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Most Recent Trip Reports- Nagashima Spa Land and Parque Espana

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! It makes me even more excited for my rides on Twisted Timbers. Glad to hear the ride is bonkers and loaded with airtime like all the other RMCs.

On a related note, how was the Econo Lodge in Williamsburg? I'm pretty sure that's the hotel I booked. :lol:

There are 3 of them. Econo Lodge Colonial is way too nice to be an Econo Lodge. The other two are the Econo-Lodgiest Econo Lodges that have ever Econo Lodged (but I guess they're fine, lol).

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:06 pm

Hmm I'm the Colonial one is only $5 more than the Historical Area one the weekend I am there. I think I may splurge. :lmao:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Most Recent Trip Reports- Nagashima Spa Land and Parque Espana

Postby boldikus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:08 pm

Yeah the Colonial is the spot. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Aesthetically the rooms were identical (except my room in the Colonial didnt have carpets, just faux wood floors which I prefer) but otherwise it was like night and day. Also its not even 10 minutes from BGW. The Ruther Glen EL is horrible, incredible since they were about the same price (around $60 a night all told).

Postby bert425 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:17 pm

great pics, and looks like y'all had a fantastic time.

when are y'all all coming down for Fiesta Texas so I can drive down to meet up too????

:p
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:18 pm

cfc wrote:
boldikus wrote:
cfc wrote:The Amber Ox is very good. Were they serving their Cyborg Assassin Kittens IPA that night?

I'm not 100% sure but it sounds super familiar so I'm going to say yes. I had the Twisted Mirror? I think it was called? It was a sour saison and was delicious. One of the best beers of the weekend. I really liked that place and would go there again. Though I don't know if I'd have a choice considering nothing in town is open after dark haha.

Yep--Williamsburg is not known for its spectacular nightlife. :lol: But we have five microbreweries, a distillery, and a mead brewer now.

they were advertising "clubs" at Colonial Williamsburg when we were there, tho we didn't stay for that.

the authentic food at the pub there was good (if overpriced), and the brew onsite was good to me (tho I'm not really a beer drinker)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby boldikus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:43 am

bert425 wrote:when are y'all all coming down for Fiesta Texas so I can drive down to meet up too????
:p

Eventually! If I won the lottery today it would be sooner rather than later. :lol:
bert425 wrote:
cfc wrote:Yep--Williamsburg is not known for its spectacular nightlife. :lol: But we have five microbreweries, a distillery, and a mead brewer now.

they were advertising "clubs" at Colonial Williamsburg when we were there, tho we didn't stay for that.
"Clubs"? Care to elaborate? Do I want to know? :lol:

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby El Toro_Ryan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:55 am

Awesome trip report man! Thanks for including my video in it!
#ThroughputAddict (I need rehab). YOUTUBE PAGE: http://www.youtube.com/c/ElToroRyan

2014: El Toro Team Member
2015: Kingda Ka Team Member
2016: El Toro Unit Supervisor
2017: El Toro Unit Supervisor (Month of April) and Random Team Member when I felt like working (August thru December)
2018: Millennium Force Ride Host (Halloweekends)

Credit Count: 303

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!