TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What do you think is the most improved park?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also going to be biased and say that CW is the most improved. Most parks had at least one coaster that was their proud landmark attraction.

In 2007 our best ride was between a suspended arrow and a Vekoma slc. Today we are two massive b&ms... soon to be three plus a massive upgrade in our family and thrill side department as well as general aesthetic and food.

A decade ago Wonderland would be làughable for any coaster enthusiast.

^ Canada's Wonderland and Kentucky Kingdom are two that came to mind for me as well since they each got 2 great coasters.

Fun Spot Orlando is a place that comes to mind for me. I don't think enthusiasts cared too much about them before White Lightning and Freedom Flyer were added.

Dollywood is another one that jumps out with Mystery Mine, Lightning Rod, Firechaser Express, and Wild Eagle all coming in the past 10 years to make it more of a place for thrill seekers while maintaining their charm.

Six Flags America, from what I heard, had an atrocious reputation ten years ago, one that it doesn't deserve any more judging from my visits. Still not a full-day park - the StarFlyer is a step in the right direction, but the back of the park is still in need of at least a restroom and another ride.

^They've also added more landscaping the last few years, making the park more beautiful. It's still not what it used to be, but it's a big improvement! Hope they keep up with that! Also bringing back the Instrumental music to International Street was very nice, and also having the band organ fixed on the Grand Carousel is nice.

It appears somebody was inspired by my “what was the most improved CF park in the past ten years” poll. lol

I'm gonna say Kings Dominion. When Paramount left, it really just seemed like a wasteland but Cedar Fair really did a good job breathing new life into the park. They got rid of their crappy coasters and improved their woodies. Plus they added Dominator and I305 which are arguably the best two coasters in the park. Plus they did an amazing job (and are continuing to) with Candy Apple Grove

Dollywood, Kings Islans and Cedar Point all come to mind as well.

California's Great America. Ever since Gold Striker, it's really been on a roll. I've always said that CGA needed just a little bit of TLC to be a higher rated Cedar Fair park, and now that it's finally getting some, bigger and better things are coming to that park.

Disney California Adventure, from everything I know of it, from the beginning designs,

and eventual "first opening" fail, to what it's become, today.

Definitely the template for any other park, that went through what DCA did.

IMG_2272.JPG.7b1236f1c85e958348944087b829bb84.JPG

One of my WOW (to me) shots at DCA. Sept.13, 2016.

IMG_2365.JPG.350e0c72c530e6a8a8d29a80a553c37e.JPG

One of my last shots at DCA. Sept.15, 2016. Before ToT went G2.

My vote goes to Kings Island. They've added Diamondback, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers within the last 10 years. I can't think of another park that really even comes close in terms of quality.

You could throw a ton of Cedar Fair parks in this thread, and very validly so. I'm biased toward KI since I live nearby, but I just think of my first visit to the park in 2007, when the best things I had to ride were Beast, Vortex, and Racer. Oh, and the headache I got from that SoB...

There's one park that comes to my mind instantly, and that is Toverland. Especially with Fēnix opening this year.

Toverland's a really remarkable story of a park starting small, catering mainly to children, and very gradually (and wisely) expanding over the years. Show their 2018 park map to anyone in 2003 (before Booster Bike and Troy) and they'd be completely stunned.

I laugh whenever there's one of those "why aren't new parks being built?" threads, in which people generally seem to assume that "new park being built" equates to "three B&Ms, an Intamin and an RMC on opening day." Not going to happen. New parks are being built, but more applicably to this discussion, small parks are expanding intelligently too. Toverland is a great example. I'd throw Holiday World in there too. Parks that very gradually grow and invest over the course of 10, 15, 20 years. That's the way to do it sustainably. Otherwise, well, have fun with another Hard Rock Park or SFWoA-expansion that fails and fails hard.

The Nor-Cal parks, SFDK and CGA. Both on their way to becoming small destination parks. CGA operations are amazing, among the best in the country.

I'm going to agree with CGA. Comparing the park now, to the dark years of *cough*Paramount*cough* it takes 1st place as most improved in my opinion.

There's one park that comes to my mind instantly, and that is Toverland. Especially with Fēnix opening this year.

Toverland's a really remarkable story of a park starting small, catering mainly to children, and very gradually (and wisely) expanding over the years. Show their 2018 park map to anyone in 2003 (before Booster Bike and Troy) and they'd be completely stunned.

I remember going there the first or second year it opened, and it was a small indoor park with only one "big ride" (the Vekoma Junior Coaster). No one would have thought that 15 years later Toverland would be one of the leading parks in Europe. It just goes to show that you don't have to start with big rides to become big, it is better to start small and grow from there. Like you said earlier, that's something more new parks could learn from.

Great question. My experience is super limited, as 5 years ago I had been to exactly 5 parks, and 3 of those were in Missouri. The Missouri parks are still the only ones I've visited over a 10-year range, so I'll say Six Flags St. Louis. After a particularly bad visit in 2007, we swore off the place, but then when Goliath opened in 2014 we went back just to process the season pass that would get us in cheap to Chicago, and we actually had a pretty good time. We've been members for the last few years now and get up there at least a couple times a year, and it's always a lot of fun. They've drastically improved operations and added several new fun rides, including Justice League and Tsunami Soaker, that everyone has to ride every time we're there. Really looking forward to the new water slide this summer!

CGA operations are amazing, among the best in the country.

For real for real? Granted, I don't recall having any serious complaints about operations in 2009 (I just remember they were huge on saying "check" after each restraint check, and I kinda hoped not all CF parks did that). But if they've become outstandingly good, that's awesome.