TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A loop around Lake Eerie - May trip planning

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mexicantown in Detroit is cool (Taqueria Lupita's and the La Gloria Bakery are great, but others swear by some of the other restaurants in the area too).

Los Galanes is really good in the center of Mexicantown, and El Rancho (which has a really good mole) and Xochimilco are solid too.

If one wants Mexican in Detroit I would recommend 2 places: El Barzon, and La Terraza. El Barzon is a traditional Mexican restaurant with good pasta. But La Terraza is by far my favorite. According to my girlfriend (who is Mexican) it is the most authentic Mexican place in Detroit. And it's very unique as a seafood-Mexican restaurant. The owners come from a town in Mexico on the Pacific Ocean. The place also has live singers and bands. I think it doesn't get a lot of notoriety because it isn't located in the "Mexicantown" neighborhood of Southwest Detroit.

But like, if you want to eat something distinctly Detroit and you're on a budget, there's Coney Island Lafayette. American Coney Island is next door, but that's for posers. Don't eat there.

As a coney enthusiast I can't let this go. Yes, coney's are awesome, I eat them at least 2 times a week. I highly recommend them. To say American Coney Island is for posers is just wrong. American was open before Lafayette. But I do agree that Lafayette is better, both are outstanding even though the service at both kind of sucks sometimes. I actually prefer Duly's Place in SW Detroit over both American and Lafayette because it tastes better IMO, and the service is much better.

As far as more stuff to do in Detroit. The city has some of the best Italian restaurants. Roma Cafe in Eastern Market was the best IMO. It was open since 1890 but closed in July when the owner decided to retire. It has since been re-opened by the head chef under the name Amore da Roma. Others that are really good are Mario's, Vince's, and Giovanni's. Mario's is in Midtown right next to the bars that others have recommended. Roma Cafe/ Amore da Roma is literally a 5 minute drive from Midtown. Vince's and Giovanni's are in SW Detroit. Vince's is very casual and laid back. Giovanni's is very high end expensive, and they have/had a dress code, I haven't been there in a while. Frank Sinatra had private party's there.

If you're into history I would strongly recommend Greenfield Village in my hometown of Dearborn, MI which is just west of Detroit. They have the Rosa Parks bus, Thomas Edison's lab, Abraham Lincoln's chair from the Ford Theater, JFK's limo, and a bunch of other stuff. Dearborn also has a very large Arabic population and with that comes a bunch of great authentic Arabic restaurants. My favorite is Hamido on Warren Ave. The only downside to the Arabic places is that they do not serve alcohol.

Dumb, but obvious question to me:

Is it cool to take a rental across the Canadian border? That just screams problems should something occur (accident, theft, etc.).

Yeah, it's cool. The rental agency may want to know about your plans, that's all. Additionally, US auto insurance covers you in Canada, and your renter's / homeowner's insurance will cover theft.

• 4 months later...