TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: The Big Apple Coaster adding a VR Coaster experience

While I myself haven't ridden this nor have done VR rides yet, I don't understand why they can't just invest in demolishing the ride and build a brand new and better coaster in its place. I agree that trying to use a gimmick like VR on a bad coaster doesn't make it better, in fact, I'm pretty sure it only makes it even worse.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While most of us disagree, I do think it should be pointed out that people think this coaster is great and totally worth it's insane ticket price. I don't know if it's because of the copious amounts of alcohol in Vegas or what, but people love the thing. There's no reason to build a better coaster because for some reason, people are perfectly happy with this piece of crap.

Seriously, when we rode it a few months ago the line to buy tickets was insane.

thumb_img_7766_1.jpg

While most of us disagree, I do think it should be pointed out that people think this coaster is great and totally worth it's insane ticket price. I don't know if it's because of the copious amounts of alcohol in Vegas or what, but people love the thing. There's no reason to build a better coaster because for some reason, people are perfectly happy with this piece of crap.

Seriously, when we rode it a few months ago the line to buy tickets was insane.

thumb_img_7766_1.jpg

They have deals for people staying at New York New York, IIRC it was like $2 cheaper and it was BOGO tickets.

This coaster was great and very smooth when it first opened. Just like Desperado at State Line. But the 110 degree beating sun all summer really took it's toll quickly and we stopped riding after a few years. Haven't been on either in a LOOOOOOONG time and VR is just going to make it less desirable for me. Tried the VR once(Revolution at Magic Mountain)and don't need to do it again anywhere.

I actually enjoy Desperado quite a bit. Granted, I haven’t ridden it in 3 or 4 years, but I remember it having an awesome first drop and semi-decent airtime. I remember always preferring Magnum every time I got off, though.

With that being said, I still haven’t ridden Big Apple Coaster even though I’ve driven through Vegas countless times, mostly because I’m reluctant to pay $15+ to get myself beaten up. I can’t believe they’re putting VR on this thing. I was hoping that craze had ended...

I actually enjoy Desperado quite a bit. Granted, I haven’t ridden it in 3 or 4 years, but I remember it having an awesome first drop and semi-decent airtime. I remember always preferring Magnum every time I got off, though.

With that being said, I still haven’t ridden Big Apple Coaster even though I’ve driven through Vegas countless times, mostly because I’m reluctant to pay $15+ to get myself beaten up. I can’t believe they’re putting VR on this thing. I was hoping that craze had ended...

You should ride it anyways just to get the credit lol. The ride may suck but it is in a cool location.

What a terrible idea. And they're late in the game. VR was new and trendy a year ago. They should have spent that money on a re-paint.

they're actually painting it now. lol

i really don't remember much about it. the only thing i do is how i thought the flip and dive thing was really cool at the time. i do remember is being rough, and one or two rides and that was enough for life for me. this was when it was brand new. i also rode the crap out of Desperado when it was new too.

Tickets are $20 for The Big Apple Coaster Virtual Reality Experience and $15 to ride the roller coaster the traditional way.

All passengers must be at least 54” to ride and a minimum of 13 years old to ride with virtual reality.

Well, at least it's an option - your choice of pain, LOL!

Because this is definitely the coaster I don't want to be able to see what's coming to brace accordingly...

+1

That was SERIOUSLY the first thing I thought too. Like, of all coasters to blindfold someone on so they can't brace for impact. . . Why this one?!

At least it's probably easier to keep the goggles on than on Superman RoS. With that ride the VR might have been enough cues to brace yourself, if it had only worked, but with it not tracking the ride and me in back row the only thing that saved me from that high tech blindfold was having memorized the ride.

So to recap...

- The VR has nothing to do with Manhattan or the fact that you're in a taxicab. Basically you're just fighting a giant monster that looks like a huge... you know what, nevermind.

- The VR is of you flying over the strip which you're already doing and actually has the roller coaster in it that you're actually riding.

- I'm not sure if there's audio and maybe we're just not seeing all of it, but going off of the video all the epic shootouts seem to happen in the parking lots and concert venue across the street from Mandalay Bay which is sort of an interesting choice. I mean, I just chalk it up to a coincidence because they've probably been working on it for awhile but I don't really know how that will go over.

- Honestly it looks cool but I'm surprised it has nothing to do with the whole "taxicab in New York" thing. The ride's setting is the coolest thing about the ride (actually the only cool thing about the ride), so I don't really think I'd ever want to ride it with VR but I expect it to be successful for them.

The biggest problem with VR coasters continues to be that the processing power to make it actually look real does not exist in that form factor yet. I could deal with low capacity if it was truly immersive and changes the experience in a good way---but all the VR coasters still look like N64 games.

The biggest problem with VR coasters continues to be that the processing power to make it actually look real does not exist in that form factor yet. I could deal with low capacity if it was truly immersive and changes the experience in a good way---but all the VR coasters still look like N64 games.

The number one thing you have to get with virtual reality is a stable, consistent, high frame rate, and do so while effectively rendering a 3D scene twice at once. It's never the polygonal models themselves that get sacrificed for quick-and-dirty VR simulations like this one - it's the lighting. The lighting doesn't look necessarily bad, and it wouldn't be out of place in a somewhat-decent video game from the early 2010s. But it's not even close to photo-realistic enough to allow for that suspension of disbelief that virtual reality is supposed to achieve.

• 1 month later...
^^This ride sucks, but like you I expected worse. Luckily putting VR on it should give it the extra boost it needs to take it from "just terrible" to "historically terrible" and it can finally live up to it's stelllar reputation.

You mean this coaster is not SUPPOSED to be rough?!?  Oh.  I always assumed they were trying to simulate a NYC crosstown taxi ride. (Virtual Reality always included!) 

Alice