TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tower swing rides

My question is mainly about these hundred plus foot tall spinning swing rides like the Starflyer. I know that when it comes to the smaller old carnival versions, the seats are just help up by chains. And there have been a few, not many but a few, instances where a chain link broke and the rider went flying. Up until now I don't think anyone has been killed in such accident, but if that were to happen at even just fifty feet, let alone 200 or 300, it could be deadly. Yes, I know there are dozens of these operating around the world for years without incident. But I still can't help but wonder. Do these rides work just like the little family friendly versions? Is it just a couple chains holding each seat, or are there cables as well. I understand these aren't chains like you buy at Home Depot. They are probably tempered and reinforced, but in the end they are still little interlocking rings of steel, each with a welded seam. What measures are in place to ensure that little welded seam doesn't separate, and if it did, what keeps the rider from flying away to their death? I just can't bring myself to place my life in the hands of tiny welds on on tiny links of chain.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I recall correctly, Starflyers have no less than 8 chains supporting each pair of seats. The chances of all 8 failing simultaneously is so low it may as well be nonexistent.

If they weren't safe you wouldn't see them at major parks (ie, Six Flags).

Excuse me, the proper term (according to the recording at Great Adventure) is "Crotch Strap". Get it right.

at Fiesta, the attendant referred to it as a "ballcrusher" (he was apologizing while pushing down to unlock it).

LOL

I haven't asked my ride ops what they call "it" that locks into the seat, between my legs.

Now, that it's become an interesting chat topic, I shall persue what AtmosFEAR's...

... uh.... straps are "called". In May.

IMG_0556.JPG.8ca24a08aaa08ae061565f8584241b0e.JPG

I actually dread THIS flying apart, more than the StarFlyer we got.

I looked it up, and I couldn't find exactly what you're looking for. But Starflyers have 8 chains instead of 4, and they also have a backup cable. I'm also sure they are rated for waaaaaaaaay more weight than you'd put on them. I'm 100% sure they're totally and completely safe, but your point is well taken. If you have any fear of heights the idea of these things can be scary!

Edited by steamedturtle

StarFlyers are a testament to defying Fears of Height.

Still gets to me a bit, every time I ride one. But I don't stop riding them.

I trust who has designed, built, and operated these things.

GayDay2011_08.jpg.549974cdcdbb146498ad24dfd18c6af5.jpg

Gay Day, July 16 2011. Also, Opening Day of AtmosFEAR in Playland(PNE)!

I looked it up, and I couldn't find exactly what you're looking for. But Starflyers have 8 chains instead of 4, and they also have a backup cable. I'm also sure they are rated for waaaaaaaaay more weight than you'd put on them. I'm 100% sure they're totally and completely safe, but your point is well taken. If you have any fear of heights the idea of these things can be scary!

So they do have a cable in addition to chains? That makes me feel better. That was my question.

The bigger tower swings have a bench for two people and so get eight chains (four on each seat). Even on the smaller ones with single seats, if two chains managed to break you're still going to hang on.

Even these dinky trailer chains are rated for 2,000 lbs, the next size up at 5,000, and you get that times 8.

https://www.etrailer.com/Safety-Chains-and-Cables/Curt/C80011.html