Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Camden Park- The awesome Big Dipper & so many WTF moments
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:25 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:I really need to get to Holiday World at some point... I appreciate how much emphasis the park has placed on their wooden coasters (save for Thunderbird) and I'm itching to experience The Voyage at some point. Thanks for reminding me that needs to get back on my list of places to go!

It was always a bucket list park for me and the park hasn't disappointed in my two visits.

boldikus wrote:Just getting caught up here. Awesome report, as always. I've heard mixed reviews on Holiday World but would love to get there at some point.

Thanks! Their 3 woodies aren't glass smooth, but I've never had any issues riding them. It's also not a full day park unless you are willing to reride things and/or spend time in the water park, but those are two things I have no problem doing.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Stricker's Grove & Camden Park

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:26 am

Canobie Coaster wrote: Voyage truly is one of the craziest coasters out there. I can definitely see some calling this coaster rough, but the only rough patch I noticed was in the final tunnel adjacent to the station. Voyage is one of the most ambitious wooden coasters ever constructed and it’s truly a testament to the park’s maintenance staff that this thing doesn’t turn riders into mashed potatoes. 10 out of 10

The park's maintenance staff does not save 5 out of every 6 riders who ride outside of the first car. You did the right thing taking the time to ride all three coasters in the first row to save your body.
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:27 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:43 am

I rode them all in the very back last year and still found them very rideable.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325

Postby larrygator » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:I rode them all in the very back last year and still found them very rideable.

Oh, to be young again!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:23 pm

larrygator wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:I rode them all in the very back last year and still found them very rideable.

Oh, to be young again!

:nina:
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Being young definitely does have its perks. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:28 am

Coney Island

When you hear Coney Island, what comes to mind? The Cyclone? The Wonder Wheel? The beach? Joey Chestnut wolfing down 70 hot dogs? The atmosphere? How about a small park in Ohio? Wait, what? Outside of locals to Cincinnati and hardcore enthusiasts I doubt many people have heard of Ohio’s Coney Island. While it’s not as famous as the New York City staple, Ohio’s Coney Island is a charming park in its own way.

Ticket Booth.jpg
99.9% of people will not think of this place when you say Coney Island.

I arrived a half hour after opening expecting a prime parking space. Instead I was parked in the back of the lot. This place appeared packed! Fortunately few people were riding things on the dry side. Most people were jamming themselves into the small water park or enjoying the picnic grounds.

Water Slides.jpg
The water park's two slide towers were at capacity on such a hot day.

Coney Island is a really beautiful park. Almost the entire midway is draped underneath tree canopies. It may have been 100 degrees outside, but it felt considerably cooler thanks to the tree coverage. But its not just trees. There are also several gardens scattered throughout the park, including the impressive Moonlite Gardens. Plus you had a lake at the far end of the park. It’s never going to be mentioned in the same breadth as a Busch Gardens, but Coney Island’s landscaping is quite impressive.

Fountain.jpg
For a park with an unimpressive ride collection, they take landscaping seriously.

Moonlite Gardens.jpg
Just look at these gardens.

River Runner.jpg
I'm a sucker for waterside locations. Technically that's something this place shares with its New York namesake.

Oddly enough, the ride collection is the park’s weakness. More specifically, it’s the park’s coaster collection. Coney Island only has one coaster in the Python. At first glance, it may appear to be you garden variety galaxy/zyklon, but it has some quirks. To start, there are the trains. They’re 2 car trains, but the oddity is that the front car has 2 rows while the back car only has 1 row. I’ve seen this done on lead or rear cars on mine trains, but never on a coaster with trains as small as this.

Python’s first two drops actually packed a surprising punch. I rode in the back and I was shot out of my seat. The rest of the ride was uneventful outside of one other tiny pop of air on the final drop and an extremely abrupt brake run. Definitely hold on for that one! 5 out of 10

Python Sign.jpg
Note the missing row in the back car.

I was also fully able to appreciate the brilliance of the Rock-O-Plane during my visit. I had previously ridden two at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and Sandy Lake Amusement Park and recalled it being one heck of a workout. I remember violently flinging myself forwards and backwards, desperately trying to get at least one flip. It was more exhausting than a game of ultimate frisbee.

But I learned I have been doing it all wrong. You see, I thought that lever was only for the operator to lock and unlock the cars at the beginning and end of the ride. I didn’t realize the rider could use the lever to control their rides. Now we were talking. That lever was an absolute game changer. I alternated between hanging upside down and releasing the car at the apex to get a wild flip on the way down. 8 out of 10

Rock-O-Plane.jpg
Learning what that lever did was like getting the training wheels taken off my bicycle. I was suddenly a lot more dangerous.

The ride I was most anticipating was Wipeout. No it’s not a Chance Wipeout. The only way I’d be excited for one of those is if it were enclosed in a building and called the Cloudpoofer. This is one of those rare Moser flipping arms. I saw one at Gillian’s last year, but it either hadn’t opened or was down for maintenance. There was no way to tell with that ride. Fortunately Wipeout was operating.

I had never seen one run, so I had no clue what to expect. My experience is being judged off just one ride, but it didn’t invert as often as I had expected. However, because of the ride’s small diameter, all of the movements felt very abrupt and snappy. I actually found the spinning near ground level to be more intense than the main portion of the ride. I definitely enjoyed this flat, but it couldn’t quite measure up to the Top Scans, Tangos, and Zippers of the world for crazy inverting flats. 8 out of 10

Wipe Out Rotating.jpg
Honestly this was the most intense part of the ride.

Wipe Out Sign.jpg
It looks like the park index is missing the official ride sign, so this one is for you Larry.

Top Spin.jpg
There was no way I was going to ride this thing after the same model at Fun Spot made me very queasy, but I had a strong enough stomach to get a picture for the park index. Naming this ride Top Spin is the perfect way to troll enthusiasts if you ask me.

And on the way out, I climbed aboard their Moser drop tower. This one was much larger than usual and probably in the neighborhood of 40-50 feet in height. I don’t know what it is about these Moser towers, but I find the drops to pack far more of a punch than they have any right to. But I’m not going crazy; I’ll still take the S&S or Intamin behemoths of the world. 6 out of 10

Scream Machine.jpg
It seemed like a park mandate that every attraction was either underneath or surrounded by trees.

Coney Island was a very pleasant park. Like its namesake in Brooklyn, Coney Island’s strength is the atmosphere. This one is a beautiful, well-landscaped family park which is a complete contrast to the rambunctious and rowdy boardwalk atmosphere of New York’s. I’m not sure if I’d be willing to sacrifice time at Kings Island considering it’s just a half hour away, but this park would become a no brainer for me if they added another coaster. One of those mini Gravity Group woodies would be a perfect fit if you asked me.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 am

Coney Island was a big surprise for us. We didn't really know anything about the place going in but it was really nice.

Great report!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Thanks! Your report actually was a big driver in convincing me to go. I had no clue this park looked that nice. I would have expected a carnival like atmosphere.

Postby larrygator » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Thanks, I was going to swing by in August just to get pictures of the new ride signs (and Top Spin) but I was too tired to make the side trip from Kings Island.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!