Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Camden Park- The awesome Big Dipper & so many WTF moments
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:04 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:
PKI Jizzman wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:I definitely found my night rides better and faster than the morning ride I took a few days later, but that could be said about a lot of coasters that need to warm up as the day progresses.

Riding through the fog sounds like a really cool experience on Diamondback. Wouldn't there be fog on Mystic Timbers and Beast as well?

Beast not that I can remember it is too far away from it all. MT maybe but I don't have experience to speak to. I'd believe it would be too far away as well. Unless Tombstone Terrortory is still going? I think that's dead.

Oh fog from the haunts! I was thinking the cooler weather was the cause of the fog. Should have known better. :lmao:

Comeeeeee onnnnnnn :lol:
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Kentucky Kingdom

Originally I was going to have a reasonably laid back day at Kentucky Kingdom and Beech Bend. I planned to spend most of the day at Kentucky Kingdom and leave in the mid-afternoon to get down to Beech Bend to try Kentucky Rumbler. However, one billboard threw all those plans out the window. It was a billboard for Holiday World.

I had forgotten Holiday World was just an hour from Kentucky Kingdom. It didn’t feel right to be that close to one of my favorite amusement parks and not visit. Since I already had pre-purchased Kentucky Kingdom tickets, I certainly wasn’t going to skip out on reriding Storm Chaser and Lightning Run. I also was hesitant to cutout Beech Bend as it would be a new park for me. So would I do the stupid thing and try and shoehorn all three parks in? You better believe I did. :lol:

I arrived at Kentucky Kingdom a few minutes before opening and was greeted with a sizable line. It was a sunny Sunday on a long weekend, so seeing a large crowd wasn’t totally unexpected. Fortunately the line moved quickly.

Sign.jpg
I'm truly amazed how nice this park looks considering it was abandoned for several years.

Once inside the park, my first stop was undoubtedly Lightning Run. With the ride’s close proximity to the entrance, I figured it would quickly build up a queue. One train operations assured that. I only had to wait 10 minutes for my ride, but the queue was stretched back to the entrance by the time I got off. Since I only rode Lightning Run in the back in 2016, I decided to try it in the front for my single ride.

This coaster is a little airtime machine. The first camelback has some strong air and it’s the only sustained air on the ride. The rest of the coaster consists of a series of airtime pops, each one more intense than the last. This culminates with an incredible finale consisting of 4 tiny hills. It’s reminiscent of Steel Vengeance’s finale, except I think Lightning Run’s air may be even stronger. It’s one of the best finishes to any coaster. Plus it’s glass smooth.

Lightning Run’s height and speed are relatively modest to other airtime-centric steel coasters and I definitely felt it. For comparison, Wicked Cyclone and Twisted Cyclone are almost identical in these categories but they feel a heck of a lot faster. I don’t know if it’s just the odd squeaky sound or the pacing, but it’s the one thing that holds Lightning Rod back from being in my upper echelon of steel coasters. Still it’s a great little coaster and I’m stunned more of these Chance coasters haven’t popped up. 9 out of 10

Lightning Run Overview (2018).jpg
I'm glad I came here first.

Lightning Run Bunny Hill.jpg
Lightning Run's finale is a great place for reaction shots. You can really feel the airtime.

I was worried Storm Chaser would have a delayed opening, but I decided to head back there anyway to beat the crowds. As I crossed the roadway and passed through the water park, I was reminded that Kentucky Kingdom may have the oddest layout of any park. Once I reached the dry section in the back of the park, it was a complete ghost town. But then I heard the familiar RMC roar in the distance.

Deep Water Dive.jpg
It pained me to skip such a good water park, but the thought of riding Voyage later in the day comforted me.

Storm Chaser is another example of a coaster with modest stats that absolutely hauls. After you float down that barrel roll drop, Storm Chaser is bonkers. The first half focuses on airtime. That first camelback is one of RMC’s best airtime moments even and the following overbank even manages to give some sideways airtime. The far turnaround offers strong pops of air entering and exiting. And then there’s another speedy bunny hill with some powerful ejector air.

Then the zero-G roll transitions into the ludicrous finale. While most zero-G rolls are floaty, the one on Storm Chaser is downright violent (in a good way). That’s followed by the trick track double up, double down thingy. This element is navigated so quickly that you don’t even have time to return to your seat in between airtime pops. I truly felt like a ragdoll here. There’s a quick turn and a surprise entering the brake run. There’s a strong pop of air and that’s followed by a perfectly flat turn that slams riders to the side of the car.

Storm Chaser simply does not let up. It has every type of airtime an enthusiast could want. It has hangtime, sustained ejector, ejector pops, and even sideways air. I was able to get several rides in a row without having to wait and it almost re-entered my top 10 steel coasters. 10 out of 10

Quick aside, but where exactly is Storm Chaser’s third inversion? I know there’s the barrel roll drop and the zero-G roll in the middle of the coaster. Is that first overbank considered the third inversion?

Storm Chaser Sign (2018).jpg
I enjoyed my unofficial ERT session on Storm Chaser.

Storm Chaser Airtime.jpg
Your butt is out of the seat more than it is in it.

Storm Chaser Overbank.jpg
Is this what's considered the third inversion?

Storm Chaser 2nd Hill.jpg
I remember when people thought this looked like the worst RMC. Boy were we all wrong.

Having completed my two main objectives, I made my way back towards the main entrance with the intention of maximizing my Holiday World time. However, I noticed Thunder Run was a walk-on so I hopped aboard the park’s only wooden coaster (for now that is).

I made sure to ride towards the front in a non-wheel seat since it was pretty bumpy back in 2016. That was a wise decision judging by some of the expletives from the row behind me. The outward leg offers some nice airtime. However, the second half is a dud. The coaster is still going pretty fast, but the combination of straight track and gradual hills yield no airtime whatsoever. 5 out of 10

Thunder Run Bunny Hill.jpg
Usually thunder comes before lightning, but I rode them in reverse.

I also couldn’t say no to Fearfall considering it was also a walk-on and right next to the exit. It doesn’t matter how many times I ride these Larson towers, but that drop is always a thrill. 9 out of 10

Fearfall Top.jpg
I had a wonderful view of the infamous phallic shaped rock.

I also grabbed a snack on the way out. You could say I’m a pretzel aficionado. Since I don’t like sweets, this is my dessert of choice. In terms of pretzels, I’d be hard pressed to find something that can top the gooey, buttery goodness of the Busch parks (especially when bacon is involved), but Kentucky Kingdom had a worthy contender. It’s always a treat to find a park offering something other than the standard Super Pretzel.

Pretzel.jpg
This was up there with Wetzel's in terms of quality.

I easily could have spent more time at Kentucky Kingdom. You would never know that the park had once been abandoned by Six Flags since it’s incredibly clean, well-kept, and busy. Beyond the excellent top two coasters, they have one of the best water parks in America and with the temperature in the 90s, most of the guests seemed to appreciate it. With the announcement of Kentucky Flyer and my desire to make it out to Holiwood Nights someday, a return visit will likely be in store soon.

Scream Extreme Sign.jpg
Kentucky Kingdom keeps adding new rides.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Stricker's Grove & Camden Park

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Great report!

I really like this park. I happy that I’ll have an excuse to go back next season with this new coaster.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:19 am

Just popping in to say I've been totally into the last couple of updates. KK is very high on my list, and after riding Wacky Taxi and then hearing about the new woodie, I'm even more stoked to visit in the next year or two.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:36 am

Getting caught up on this report now. Kentucky Kingdom is looking good, and I enjoyed the Columbus Zoo report too. Been meaning to get over there one of these days.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:40 am

coasterbill wrote:Great report!

I really like this park. I happy that I’ll have an excuse to go back next season with this new coaster.

Thanks! I've seen a lot of people mocking Kentucky Flyer because of the name and the Planet Coaster rendering, but I have little doubt that coaster will be awesome based on Gravity Group's recent pedigree.

boldikus wrote:Just popping in to say I've been totally into the last couple of updates. KK is very high on my list, and after riding Wacky Taxi and then hearing about the new woodie, I'm even more stoked to visit in the next year or two.

Thanks! Kentucky Kingdom's top three will be incredible for anyone who loves airtime.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Getting caught up on this report now. Kentucky Kingdom is looking good, and I enjoyed the Columbus Zoo report too. Been meaning to get over there one of these days.

Thanks! Columbus Zoo was a place I always had on my radar because of the wooden coaster, but I knew it was dependent when I'd be making the commute between Kings Island and Cedar Point. It just happened to work out this year.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:49 am

KK is worth going out of your way for simply due to Lightning Run and Storm Chaser. Add in the water park, the flats, and it's a great park. Storm Chaser is insane and it's even crazier to think that people were complaining about it when it first opened.

RMC does a great job with all of their coasters. You could look at Timbers and SC and say they have the same drop, but they feel a bit different.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:42 pm

^ Yeah I was shocked how much different the barrel roll drop on Twisted Timbers felt, but that one was really snappy while the one on Storm Chaser (and Medusa for that matter) were more floaty.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:27 pm

Beech Bend

Beech Bend is one of those places where you second-guess whether or not you clicked the wrong entry on Google Maps. There are absolutely no signs of an amusement park as you approach Beech Bend, just farmland and (to add variety and distinguish it from Indiana) rolling hills. But eventually I reached the parking lot, which takes inspiration from the state’s geography and consists of a sloped grassy field.

Entrance.jpg
Beech Bend is a very no frills park as evidenced by the entrance.

If you ever want to feel like a fried egg, Beech Bend is the park for you. The park is the definition of an asphalt jungle. Simply put, there is very little shade anywhere in the park. With the heat index in triple figures, that made for an uncomfortable visit. Fortunately I needed little more than an hour since most visitors were wisely enjoying the water park.

Vortex.jpg
Here's a tree. There aren't many of those at Beech Bend.

Water Slides.jpg
The saucer slide looked intriguing, but I only had time for the dry side.

My first stop was the reason I made the side trip to Bowling Green. And that would be Kentucky Rumbler. Because of the park’s location, it has been a long time since I’ve heard anything about Kentucky Rumbler. I figured the oppressive temperatures and humidity would have the ride running in peak form, so I just hoped it would be on the smoother side since GCIs can become bumpy without the right TLC.

I got two rides, one in the front and one in the back and I had a slight preference for the back. Usually the back offers some additional intensity at the expense of smoothness, but oddly Kentucky Rumbler was smoother in the back row. I figured it’d have a curving first drop like many GCI twisters, but it actually straightened out at the last second and delivered some good airtime. That was followed by the highlight of the ride, a large camelback with some uncharacteristically sustained airtime for a GCI.

The rest of the ride was characteristic of a GCI. It consisted of a series of tiny hills offering pops of air and overbanks. I thought the first half was well paced, but the second half did lag a bit. Midway through the coaster, there’s a sizable hill passing over the queue line. While this is a nice visual, it saps a good chunk of the ride’s speed. There are undoubtedly better GCIs out there, but Kentucky Rumbler is the perfect star attraction for a park of this size. 7 out of 10

Kentucky Rumbler Entrance.jpg
For better or worse, this was an average GCI. It was a lot of tiny hills and turnarounds.

Kentucky Rumbler Drop.jpg
The drop was surprisingly good for a GCI.

Air Race wasn’t one of my priorities, but the operator was anxiously awaiting riders so I climbed aboard. I always enjoy these Zamperla air races as they are a very disorienting flat. Compared to the others I’ve been on, I think this one may have had the longest cycle. I’m guessing the complete lack of crowds this park sees comes into play. 7 out of 10

Air Race.jpg
If you want to go head over heels, Air Race is your only option at Beech Bend. Well unless you want to roll down the parking lot.

I was proudly sporting a Phoenix t-shirt during my visit, which solicited an amusing reaction from the operator at Spinning Out.

“Pennsylvania has a theme park? I thought it was all football and farm land.”

If he thinks Pennsylvania is too rural, then what does that make Kentucky? :lol: As for the ride, it was an SBF spinner with a twist…or rather an additional twist since the cars already twist. This one had a bonus helix! However, it rode no differently than the standard layout. Yes it was longer, but I got half as many laps as usual to compensate. 3 out of 10

Spinning Out.jpg
Check out that bonus helix.

Zero-G may actually be the park’s best ride. It’s one of those insane Larson towers. The drop was as awesome as usual, but this one was lacking in the view department. This probably doesn’t come as a surprise, but there isn’t exactly much to see. What about the park? As luck would have it, the park’s only three trees just happen to be plopped down right in front of the drop tower. But that drop is so intense that I can look past the lackluster view. 9 out of 10

Zero-G.jpg
Every park in the world could get one of these and I wouldn't complain one bit.

The Haunted House is a must ride if only for the fact that it has air conditioning. It turned what would have been a trainwreck of a haunted house into an invigorating experience. I’m pretty sure my local carnival can top the effects inside this one, but at least the facade was reminiscent of a classic pretzel. 3 out of 10

Haunted House.jpg
I was hoping for a breakdown, but I wasn't lucky enough to get trapped in the ice box.

One of my most anticipated rides was the incredibly rare Scat II. Basically it looked like two round-ups on a swiveling arm. My local carnival has a similar ride (Hyper Spin); however, you ride sitting down. Scat II is ridden standing up. For that reason, I figured it needed to spin fairly quickly. And it most certainly did. This thing pulled some serious Gs. I had the sustained Gs of a round-up or a rotor while being spun about like a scrambler. There was just one problem. The ride was very uncomfortable.

The operator assigned locations (presumably to balance the attraction) and I was assigned an end. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem, but the end seats must have been designed for smaller riders. The head rests sat a foot lower than the middle seats. This caused my head to be forced against the metal grate during the ride. I felt like I was being bullied all over again. My only option was to slouch, which was also uncomfortable, but it was the lesser of two evils. If you’re over 5 feet, I strongly suggest you hold out for an inside seat. 7 out of 10

Scat 2.jpg
Where's Scat 1?

Last but not least, I hit the spinning Wild Mouse on the way out. I ended up waiting 15 minutes, which was longer than I waited for every other ride on the dry side combined. As far as spinning mice go, this one was pretty average. It did spin though and that’s something I’ll never take for granted again after riding that abomination at Hirakata Park. 5 out of 10

Wild Mouse Sign.jpg
You know crowds are on your side when this is by far the longest wait in the whole park.

Beech Bend really feels more like a permanent carnival rather than an amusement park. The only things breaking that mold are Kentucky Rumbler and the water park. Kentucky Rumbler is a solid wooden coaster, but not one I’d make a special trip for. However, if my future travels brought me directly past Beech Bend, I would definitely pop in for an hour or two.

Postby bert425 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:23 pm

nice update from Beech Bend. . .very impressed they have an Air Race, I don't see them that often, and certainly not in Texas parks for the most part.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!