Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Knott's!- HangTime, GhostRider, and chicken.
Users viewing this topic: JordyC and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:33 am

pfalcioni wrote:That looks impressive as heck!

Here's the footage that we shot on a previous visit to the park in 2014:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:38 pm

:nina: Thanks for sharing!

BlahBlahson wrote:Your Report made me check RCDB to find the location of this park, those dark rides are very intriguing. Sadly it looks a bit further south than the trip I would want to do but I guess that's the benefit of doing Japan with TPR, you get to do it all!

Without TPR it's pretty likely I would have skipped the park and I would have missed out on a really cool place.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Most Recent Trip Reports- Adventure City & Knott's Berry Farm

Postby bert425 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:52 pm

robbalvey wrote:
pfalcioni wrote:That looks impressive as heck!

Here's the footage that we shot on a previous visit to the park in 2014:

that's so fantastic. . and the description Canobie gave (Peter Pan and It's a Small World had a baby) is spot on!

not sure how I've never seen this footage before, but so glad you posted this Robb. . . adds an extra dimension to enjoying Canobie's thread.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:35 am

Seeing the POVs of several of these dark rides really shows just how weird they are while also being well done.

I liked going in blind to these dark rides, but it's nice to have the POVs to relive them until I hopefully return to Japan again.
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby pfalcioni » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:10 pm

I've never seen that POV before, thanks so much for posting it. What an amazing ride, and I agree that Pan + IASW baby is a perfect description. I just wish Peter Pan was even half this length, I love that ride but gosh it's short.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 pm

And as an added bonus, you don't have to wait in the 45-60 minute line Peter Pan regularly has.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:24 am

Hirakata Park

Visiting Hirakata Park on the same day as Universal was quite the contrast. One was a heavily attended, major park and the other was a laid back family park with a whole lot of charm. You can probably guess that Hirakata fell into the latter. Even Hirakata’s location has that relaxed feel since the walk from the train station passes through a quiet neighborhood.

Entrance.jpg
We're here!

For a smaller park, Hirakata actually has a respectable coaster collection. Heck they have an Intamin woody! Now before you get a woody, keep in mind this isn’t a pre-fab in the ilk of El Toro. Rather it’s a conventional wooden coaster, but it’s a pretty solid one in Elf. You’d think theming a coaster to an elf is perfect for a park with a whimsical theme, but “Elf” is oddly an abbreviation that stands for the “Episode of Little Fairies.”

Seeing the Intamin t-bars on a traditional wooden coaster looked really strange, but they left plenty of room for airtime. The coaster isn’t an airtime machine by any stretch of the imagination, but 4-5 of the straight drops had decent pops of air.

One negative with the lap bars was that it was easy to smash your knee against the t-bar’s column. That isn’t an issue on Intamin’s ultra-smooth hypers, but it does come into play on a woody. Elf is smooth for the most part, but it has some shuffles like you’d expect from any wooden coaster that isn’t new or at Knoebels. But after my first ride I knew to brace for it and I was able to enjoy the park’s best coaster. 7 out of 10

Elf on a Hill.jpg
You're all familiar with Elf on a Shelf. Hirakata has E.L.F. on a Hill.

Elf T-Bars.jpg
It's so strange seeing the Intamin T-bars on a traditional wooden coaster.

The park’s largest coaster is Red Falcon and it looks a whole lot more impressive than it actually is. For one, the track is over 4000 feet in length and cruises all over the back half of the park. Plus it’s the park’s tallest coaster. However, I wouldn’t really say the coaster has any drops. As a jumbo-sized jet coaster, any “drop” is more of a ramp.

Despite the OSTRs and some interesting looking turns (just watch the POV and you’ll know what I mean), the coaster is actually smooth. In a way it’s too smooth. When the ride finally decides to give riders a pop of airtime, it’s immediately followed by a turn into the brake run. If you go in expecting thrills, you’ll be disappointed. If you go in expecting a high speed monorail with some scenic views, Red Falcon is a solid coaster. 6 out of 10

Red Falcon Lift.jpg
The turn on elevated ground after the lift reminded me of Superman Krypton Coaster.

Red Falcon Ramp.jpg
This is about how steep all the drops are.

Red Falcon Finale.jpg
Red Falcon travels all over the park.

Fantastic Coaster Rowdy has two adjectives in its name. Only one applies. Can you guess which? The drops are profiled very sharply, but they’re taken so slowly that there’s no air. Conversely, the turns are compact as well, but the slow speed helps by mitigating any potential roughness. For uniqueness, I’d take it over most wild mice, but in the grand spectrum it’s not fantastic as the name suggests. It’s more like Decent Coaster Rowdy. 5 out of 10

Fantastic Coaster Rowdy Station.jpg
Replace "Fantastic" with "Decent" and I'm 100% in agreement on the name.

Speaking of a wild mouse Decent Coaster Rowdy is better than, look no further than Hirakta’s Crazy Mouse. It looks like a spinning wild mouse. And it has the spinning vehicles. Yet they don’t spin. That’s not even me complaining about weak spinning. This “spinning” wild mouse has the spinning disabled.

The first half gives the same ride as usual. Thanks to the rides placement atop a building, the hairpin turns deliver a solid view. And the first drop gives a pop of air too. But the second half just felt weird without any spinning. It’s like watching a movie without the audio or eating fries without salt. You can do it, but it doesn’t feel right. The slow speed negated most discomfort, but the finale with the unbanked ground-level turn gave quite the jolt since the car could no longer rotate to absorb the lateral force. Needless to say I prefer these spinning. 4 out of 10

Crazy Mouse.jpg
The only thing crazy about this mouse was the fact that it didn't spin.

Last but not least there’s Peekaboo Town. That sounds like the name of a walkthrough or children’s area, but it’s actually the name of their kiddie coaster. Like many kids coasters in Japan, this one only offered one lap. The approach to the drop built up more speed than expected, so I was optimistic I’d actually get some air. Then I remembered I was on a kiddie coaster not at Knoebels and realized how foolish I was. 3 out of 10

Peekaboo Town.jpg
Peek-a-boo, I see that kiddie credit over there.

The park’s most intense ride is without a doubt Giant Drop Meteor. The placement is sort of odd. Usually you want the drop tower to be the most imposing ride in the park. In a park sparse on thrill rides, it towers over everything but the obligatory colossal Ferris wheel found at every park in Japan pretty much by default. But I was shocked that a park built on a hill placed the drop tower at the base.

Unfortunately they were only loading the side facing uphill, which took away somewhat from the ride’s height. However, the drop didn’t suffer in any way. It had some great airtime the whole way down. This was probably the park’s best attraction and I would have ridden it a few more times if it wasn’t suffering from bouts of downtime. I kept seeing a maintenance guy working behind the vehicle. 7 out of 10

Giant Drop.jpg
I spy an Intamin drop tower.

Giant Drop Maintenance.jpg
The maintenance guy is getting intimate with the Intamin.

Washuzan Highland’s cycle monorail was like riding a junky POS along a scenic mountain road without a guardrail. You love the view, but also are secretly terrified. Hirakata’s Cycle Monorail by comparison was like riding a Harley Davidson along a mountain road with a guardrail. The cycles were far easier to pedal and the vehicles were more robust. And it also had a lift hill, so begin the debate- is it a coaster? :lol: 6 out of 10

Monorail Lift Hill.jpg
I see a lift hill. Start the "is this a credit" debate.

Hirakata also had the obligatory Japanese dark rides. Unfortunately I missed out on some volcano maze and the promiscuously named Naughty Witch’s Labyrinth due to time, but I did sample four of the others.

Naughty Witch's Labyrinth.jpg
She sure does look like a naughty witch.

Return of the Garg was a shooter almost identical to the one at Cosmoworld. It used the same ride system, had similar physical sets, and contained pointless screens (this isn’t me mocking screens, this is me saying you couldn’t get points shooting the screens). The large targets and laser aim made it pretty easy to rack up an impressive score. 7 out of 10

Return of the Garg.jpg
I didn't realize the garg had ever left.

The creatively named Dark Ride was a complete WTF. The building’s architecture is reminiscent of a classical pagoda, but the course passes by several odd monsters, including one of which can only be described as a Marshmallow man. But everything pales in comparison to the finale. The somber tone is broken and the ride becomes a dance party complete with a disco ball and J-pop. That may sound stupid. And it sort of is. But it’s stupid fun. 7 out of 10

Dark Ride.jpg
The facade should have warned me I was walking into something interesting.

On a hot day, the Ice House was a haven. Being from New England, I think I have the authority to evaluate the cold. And this gets a passing mark from me. The house was themed to the inside of an oversized refrigerator and freezer (or maybe we were shrunk?). The theme even included the dank smell of my old fridge. 5 out of 10

Ice House.jpg
Either we're small or Japan has taken super-sized portions to a whole new level.

Actually I take back what I said about Dark Ride. It was a WTF, but the true WTF was Legend of Luxor. We went in expecting some kind of walkthrough and were led to a room with sarcophaguses. The operator then gestured towards them. Would the sarcophaguses lead to another room? No, we were instructed to sit in them, put on our headphones, and stick our hands outside a tiny slit on the coffin.

The premise alone was creepier than most haunted houses. Then there was a film with 1980s caliber animation and cheap sound effects like Disney’s old Sounds Dangerous attraction. The cheapness shouldn’t have been creepy, but somehow it worked. Each sound was sending chills down my spine. We were confused why we had to stick our hands outside the sarcophagus, but there was a surprise effect that made it apparent.

Turns out I scored 888 and my heart weighed far more than a feather. There are worse ways to die. There definitely are more complex and sophisticated dark rides out there. There are also dark rides with more charm. But few are so screwed up and psychologically terrifying. I openly admit this shouldn’t have been as scary and effective as it was, but having absolutely no clue what we walked into quite possibly helped. 9 out of 10

Legend of Luxor Outside.jpg
I was not prepared for what was about to occur.

Legend of Luxor Inside.jpg
Neither was he. And yes, they actually do put you in the sarcophagus.

Legend of Luxor Results.jpg
I think this means I'm a very bad person.

Along with kiddie coasters, I also have a weakness for unique attractions. That is not limited to just adult rides. For that reason, I embarrassingly rode World Derby. Others were more than glad to commemorate my ride for me. Basically take the kiddie whip and replace the vehicles with bobbing horses and that’s World Derby. For some delusional reason I thought it may be exciting, but it was run at appropriately kiddie speeds. 3 out of 10

World Derby.jpg
Photo credit to PeoplemoverMatt for commemorating my sad and pathetic ride.

Kids Ferris Wheel.jpg
This was almost as tempting as World Derby. Almost.

Strawberry Cafe Tea Cups.jpg
I did resist the Strawberry Cafe even though that has to be the weirdest name ever for a set of tea cups.

Octopus Panic.jpg
And this also has to be the weirdest name for a himalaya/flying bobs.

Hirakata also had an intriguing looking log flume combining the screaming game from Cosmoworld with safari theming. It had potential to be the best ride in the park. The river rapids was also closed and drained. It was a shame to see both water rides closed on such a warm day, but that’s something to look forward to in a return visit.

Flume.jpg
Safari animals plus Cosmoworld's screaming game? That sounds like one of the best flumes out there. But unfortunately it was closed.

River Rapids.jpg
As was the river rapids.

The park also had a tiny little zoo area. This was probably the most shaded part of the park and had some interesting animals. They had an always entertaining group of mischievous monkeys and the red panda, which is better known as the lesser panda.

Zoo Area.jpg
Hirakata really was a nice looking park.

Monkeys.jpg
They look like they're up to no good.

Lesser Panda.jpg
This poor creature is called the lesser panda. That's like being called a lesser human. It's just not right.

Hirakata Park really is a hodgepodge of coasters and funky dark rides. Those are neatly packed together with a whole lot of charm and the Intamin drop tower is the bow on top.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:00 am

^The water rides were closed for inspection after the earthquake as the epicenter was just a mile or two from the park and those rides needed a closer looking at according to our contact.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:23 pm

^ Ah thanks, that makes sense!

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby pfalcioni » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I thought I wanted to go to Japan just to experience Tokyo Disney, but I now realize I also need to experience Japanese dark rides.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!