Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Six Flags Mexico- Is Medusa the world's best steel coaster?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2018 US Adventures

Postby OrlandoGuy » Mon May 07, 2018 5:37 pm

I don’t usually comment on these types of threads but I really enjoyed this report! You have a fun and engaging way of recounting your experience and I really like your photos from lesser-viewed angles as well. Hope there’s more to come!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 07, 2018 9:45 pm

OrlandoGuy wrote:I don’t usually comment on these types of threads but I really enjoyed this report! You have a fun and engaging way of recounting your experience and I really like your photos from lesser-viewed angles as well. Hope there’s more to come!

Thanks! There will definitely be more to come. Let's just say the next park isn't quite on the same level as Busch Gardens.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers
Top 5 Parks- Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Knoebels, Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland
Most Recent Trip Report- Six Flags Mexico

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 08, 2018 10:09 pm

Six Flags America

Ah, Six Flags America. The park actually has a respectable coaster collection, but it is often overlooked by the other major park a drive’s away like Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion, SF Great Adventure, and Hersheypark. And honestly, it's deserved. The park just can't compete with those places in terms of quality, but few parks can. Six Flags America certainly didn't give me a reason why it was better than those parks, but I did have an enjoyable day there.

Ticket Booth.jpg
I feel like I'm back at Six Flags New England.

Fountain.jpg
At least this fountain is different.

I arrived a half hour before opening and was first in line at security. 15 minutes before opening, they opened the gates. That alone isn't out of the ordinary. But what was odd and awesome was the fact that they weren't staging guests. That meant I was comfortably able to walk back to Superman without being mauled at rope drop. I had previously been to Six Flags America once, but Superman was closed. I had ridden the mirror at Darien Lake already, but that was 8 years ago, so I was interested to see how it fared now that I've been on considerably more roller coasters.

I made my way through the queue and stopped just short of the station. An employee came out of the station warning the ride wasn't open. I asked if it was just because the park hadn't opened; she looked at her watch, shrugged, and said come back later. I stuck it out and not even 3 minutes later, the same employee apathetically gestured that I could now ride. I think this exchange captures why Six Flags America is the butt of many jokes. That and their new for 2018 lazy river.

Because of the lack of crowds, I was able to marathon this coaster without leaving the station. The first drop has some nice air the whole way down, which is refreshing since SFNE’s Superman only gives a brief pop on the drop. The second hill has some sustained ejector air. So far so good! But then comes Superman's kryptonite. I don't mind a helix if it's forceful, but Superman's are so drawn out that they're forceless. Those helices and the section of straight track felt like commercials; I just wanted them to end so I could return to the main feature- airtime. I think the only positive things I have to say about the helices is that the first one has a surprising pop of air entering it.

In between those helices is another camelback with major sustained ejector air. Then the coaster ends with 3 consecutive hills each giving strong pops of air. I got a total of 5 rides, including 3 in the front and 2 in the back, and I definitely preferred it up front for the added rush of wind. At its best moments, Superman is as good as any hyper out there. But most other hypers don't waste track like Superman. 9 out of 10

Superman First Drop.jpg
I find it hard to believe a park with an Intamin hyper can get as much flack as Six Flags America gets.

Superman Second Hill.jpg
When Superman is good, it's really good. But at other points, Superman does its best Clark Kent impersonation.

Superman Bunny Hill.jpg
The airtime here is super, man.

Batwing has one of the oddest placements of any coaster. It's way back on its own in a big, empty field and it's only accessible by a narrow path next to Superman's gift shop. It felt like real life Roller Coaster Tycoon here and they spun the pre-built coaster until its layout fit. If Six Flags America wants to expand (and I know that's a big if), I hope they consider adding another ride back there. Not surprisingly, it was completely deserted.

In the past, I’ve had overall positive experiences on the Vekoma. This one was really rattly. It's a shame since the layout itself is actually quite good with that intense vertical loop and all those disorienting barrel rolls. I thought about giving Batwing a second chance but decided against it. When you come off a ride and feel like you just completed an endurance test, that isn't exactly the best sign in the world. 5 out of 10

Batwing Overview.jpg
I thought Batman liked to store his plane somewhere well hidden. It seems like he parked his Batwing in the middle of an empty field.

Batwing Helix.jpg
Layout wise, Batwing is actually pretty good. The execution is flawed though, much like Batman & Robin.

Hitting the park’s star flyer wasn’t a priority, but Wonder Woman was loading so I figured why not. As opposed to the AC/DC or Foo Fighters I’m accustomed to on SFNE’s SkyScreamer, Six Flags went all in on the Wonder Woman theme and blasted none other than Beyonce’s Girls Run the World. I couldn’t help chuckle, but it was a very fitting song choice.

With two full ascents, the ride gave a full, unobstructed view of Six Flags America...for better or for worse. Having visited Busch Gardens the day before, I couldn’t help but dream of one of these being installed in such a beautiful park. But back to Six Flags America, Wonder Woman fills a much needed void in their flat ride lineup. 7 out of 10

Wonder Woman.jpg
I wouldn't be shocked if Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is also on this ride's playlist.

After missing out on Flight of Fear, I received a pretty darn good consolation prize in Joker’s Jinx. While it lacks the ominously creepy indoor setting, Joker’s Jinx has an advantage in the lack of a MCBR. The result is a much more exciting second half that culminates in an extremely snappy and disorienting corkscrew.

I’ve heard the launch on Joker’s Jinx is toned down slightly compared to the other versions, but to be perfectly honest, I couldn’t tell. It had quite a bit of a kick to it and the first half didn’t lag at all. Ultimately I grabbed two rides on Joker before moving on to the front of the park. 8 out of 10

Joker's Jinx Cobra Roll.jpg
I can't really complain about missing out on Flight of Fear now.

Joker's Jinx Overview.jpg
The spaghetti structure is always impressive to see.

One of my regrets in my visit to Kentucky Kingdom was skipping that weird and unique flying dutchman swing ride. I know it doesn’t look overly exciting, but it would have been a new style attraction for me. Much to my shock, Six Flags America had the same attraction. So without hestitation, I climbed aboard. Ultimately, it was about what I expected- more relaxing than thrilling- but I’m glad I tried it. 6 out of 10

Pirate's Flight.jpg
I didn't know pirates flew.

I had two last credits to grab- Great Chase and Ragin’ Cajun. As I’ve ridden more kiddie coasters, I’ve started to develop what I call the Kiddie Coaster Code. Borrowing a child has always been crossing the line for me, but I now also will not wait for a kiddie coaster. Beyond taking time away from superior attractions, I do not want to steal a seat from a kid or be forced into the awkward situation where I am paired next to a child. With Great Chase, the queue was beyond the station so it was an easy pass.

While I may have been allowed to ride Great Chase if I really wanted to, a strict no single rider policy was being enforced on the Zydeco Zinger. It was a disappointment since these Chance Falling Stars are becoming pretty rare flats and I’ve still never ridden one, but I wasn’t going to dwell on it to long; there were other coasters to ride.

Zydeco Zinger.jpg
I was so excited to try this, until I saw the dreaded purple sign.

So instead I moved along to Ragin’ Cajun. For a park that often gets flack for their operators, I’m thinking they haven’t encountered the operator at Ragin’ Cajun. The guy was loud, engaging, and had the personna of an auctioneer. He wouldn’t dispatch the train until you interacted with him, which was easy thanks to his personality.

As for the ride, it was solid as far as these Reverchon/Zamperla spinners go. Since I was allowed to ride alone, I was ensured a second half loaded with spinning. I know they’re 99% similar, but it seems like the Zamperla versions are better than the Reverchon ones. 6 out of 10

Ragin Cajun.jpg
This is the first time I've been able to ride a gator themed coaster. Usually I just see Go Gators.

The park is also home to about the smallest Intamin drop tower there is, Voodoo Drop. It’s so small that the view drop towers are known for are almost entirely blocked by an over 100 year old wooden coaster. Despite its diminutive size, it does still pack quite the punch. Just the thrill is fleeting, even more so than usual. 7 out of 10

Voodoo Drop.jpg
Size isn't all that matters, but it certainly helps.

Wild One is a coaster of mixed emotions for me. On one hand, I applaud Six Flags for not only saving this 100 year old coaster, but also having it running in tip-top shape. On the other hand, I grew up minutes from Nantasket Beach and I can’t help but imagine riding it at Paragon Park.

Wild One is still solid in the back, but without a doubt, this is a front seat ride. This coaster has some really strong airtime moments, highlighted by the two taller camelbacks near the former Skull Mountain turntable (I cannot believe they have left it standing...actually who am I kidding) and tunnel. Then the double up and double down each give a nice pop of air as well. The return leg starts to peter out a bit in terms of air, but Wild One compensates with a relatively unbanked and lateral-heavy helix.

I truly am impressed with how well Six Flags has kept Wild One running. The chipping paint may raise a red flag, but other than the sign outside the station, there’s no way to tell this coaster is 100 years old. It really is quite smooth. Throw in some good airtime and some laterals for good measure, and you have a really good, classic coaster. 8 out of 10

Wild One Sign.jpg
101 years old and still riding strong.

Wild One Drop.jpg
I just wish this coaster still had the backdrop of a Massachusetts beach. Now a bunch of rich people just have condos.

Wild One Hill.jpg
I still can't believe how much air this old coaster contains.

Wild One Return.jpg
Just when you think Wild One is slowing down, it has one last trick.

Wild One Helix.jpg
This is one wild helix.

As a whole, I love B&M. They have perfected the art of developing smooth, reridable steel coasters. But even they have a skeleton in their closet- the stand-up coaster. Outside of Georgia Scorcher, which conveniently was their last one, I do not find their stand-ups particularly enjoyable.

And Apocalypse is among the worst. The lone redeeming quality about the attraction is the theming. I have said it before and will say it again, Six Flags is the absolute master at apocalyptic theming. The less frequently they paint the coaster, the more appropriate its appearance is, which is music to the ears of Six Flags. Beyond that, they also did a good job with the queue line.

The coaster itself is as bad as I remembered. I spent the entire coaster fighting the transitions trying to avoid smashing my head. When you have to ride a coaster defensively, it’s impossible for me to give it a favorable opinion. 2 out of 10

Apocalypse Overview.jpg
In the Apocalypse, there's a mystical rock formation formerly known as Skull Mountain.

Apocalypse Loop.jpg
Stand up and fight the headbanging.

I had one last coaster to hit in Roar. As a I approached the coaster, I saw it stuck on the lift. Uh oh. Fortunately it wasn’t a mechanical breakdown. Some yahoo ripped out there phone in an attempt to film a shaky, vertical POV that wouldn’t get more than 100 views on YouTube.

I remembered Roar being a rough and unpleasant coaster, so I decided to give it a redemption opportunity by giving it a whirl in the very front. And I have to say, it was pretty good. I’m a fan of the unpredictable and twisted layouts of the older GCIs and many of the hills had some really good pops of air.

It was so good that I decided to give it another ride in the second to back. And I learned that I will stick to row 1 on Roar. It wasn’t painful, but it wasn’t exactly comfortable either and lacked the air of the front. Sure I wish this coaster had the Millennium Flyers like Discovery Kingdom’s former Roar, but in row 1, this is a pretty nice coaster with some surprising air. 7 out of 10

Roar Station.jpg
Roar for now...but is there an RMC in the future? Or was the Grim Reaper just rolling?

Roar Camelback.jpg
As long as Roar remains a wooden coaster, ride it in the front.

Dare I say it, I had an overall enjoyable day at Six Flags America. The crowds were light. So light that I think the kiddie coaster had the longest line. The employees (outside of the WTF interaction at Superman at park opening) weren’t an issue. And then the coaster collection is actually good. They have a hyper, two solid woodies, a nice launched coaster, and a flyer that has given me enjoyable rides in the past.

There definitely are areas for improvement, which are especially obvious after visiting Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens in the days prior. Aesthetically, Six Flags America is lacking. But beyond that, Six Flags America is well worth visiting for a few hours, especially if your journey takes you through Maryland.
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers
Top 5 Parks- Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Knoebels, Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby RollerManic » Wed May 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Nice report. I certainly do hope that the new attractions comes with a Spanish area, as the park, is mysteriously lacking one. It think t would pretty well round out their list of European countries.

I can confer that I don't dislike Tempesto's theming (actually never thought anything negative of it tbh, aside from the cheesy banners on the ride structure), but it's colors clash uneasily with Apollo's Chariot. Even after several years, that yellow-purple-orange-blue still upsets my eyes every time I see it. I'm glad you mentioned something about that drop in the back row, though. That doesn't get enough attention, and everytime I hear someone call Tempesto forceless I am tempted to ask if they even rode in the back. The extreme ejector and laterals in that drop into the non inverting loop and the immediately following sharp positive gs at the bottom of the loop are borderline wondrously painful in the back seat.

Sad to hear the BFLE was disappointing. I didn't ever have much faith in it, being a VR ride, but now in the absence of Curse of Darkastle there's not much to reconcile it.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Samuel » Wed May 09, 2018 7:08 pm

I'm really enjoying these reports!

Roar was in atrocious shape during my last visit to SFA a few years ago (like, Maryland needed to step in and do something about it soon before the jack hammering went much further), so I'm glad to see a respectable 7/10 review. I wish Roar would get the RMC treatment, but at least it's running tolerably. Cheers to the maintenance team, and keep up the good reports!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 09, 2018 8:27 pm

RollerManic wrote:Nice report. I certainly do hope that the new attractions comes with a Spanish area, as the park, is mysteriously lacking one. It think t would pretty well round out their list of European countries.

I can confer that I don't dislike Tempesto's theming (actually never thought anything negative of it tbh, aside from the cheesy banners on the ride structure), but it's colors clash uneasily with Apollo's Chariot. Even after several years, that yellow-purple-orange-blue still upsets my eyes every time I see it. I'm glad you mentioned something about that drop in the back row, though. That doesn't get enough attention, and everytime I hear someone call Tempesto forceless I am tempted to ask if they even rode in the back. The extreme ejector and laterals in that drop into the non inverting loop and the immediately following sharp positive gs at the bottom of the loop are borderline wondrously painful in the back seat.

Sad to hear the BFLE was disappointing. I didn't ever have much faith in it, being a VR ride, but now in the absence of Curse of Darkastle there's not much to reconcile it.

Thanks! I actually had some faith in Battle for Eire since Thorpe's ghost train with VR was so well done, but this didn't use the VR to its fullest potential in my opinion.

Off-ride, it did look a bit crowded with Tempesto immediately adjacent to Apollo, but seeing Tempesto while ascending Apollo's lift was quite the visual.

Samuel wrote:I'm really enjoying these reports!

Roar was in atrocious shape during my last visit to SFA a few years ago (like, Maryland needed to step in and do something about it soon before the jack hammering went much further), so I'm glad to see a respectable 7/10 review. I wish Roar would get the RMC treatment, but at least it's running tolerably. Cheers to the maintenance team, and keep up the good reports!

Thanks! I don't remember Roar being great in my previous visit in 2012, but I also don't remember where I sat. For all I know, I rode it in a wheel seat. But in row 1, it gave a really good ride this year. Having said that, I definitely wouldn't object to it seeing the same fate as Roar West.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri May 11, 2018 10:19 am

Six Flags Great Adventure

After leaving Six Flags America, I was faced with a daunting 8 hour drive home. Without question, I wanted to incorporate a break into that drive. Option 1 was to be a complete credit whore and stop at Adventure Park USA. Option 2 was to stop at Six Flags Great Adventure. In the grand scheme of things, Windstorms and Wildcats are decent coasters, but it just felt wrong to select those over El Toro. I did consider trying to hit both parks, but with Great Adventure's 8 pm close, it would have been too tight unless I hit time traveling speeds from Back to the Future.

I pulled into the lot around 6:30. I opened my handy dandy Six Flags app and it was clear the park was mostly dead. Originally I was content with just a marathon of rides on El Toro, but I decided to get greedy and hit the park's big four. I immediately started towards Nitro, but along the way I heard the all too familiar B&M roar of a particular invert. I couldn't resist and made my way through the empty queue.

The station was mostly deserted, so I happily waited an extra seat for row 1. I'm pretty sure if this coaster weren't a clone, it would receive much more love in the coaster community. This is one ridiculously forceful coaster that always has my legs tingling by the time we hit the brake run. Sure I do prefer the unique layouts of some of the others like Nemesis, Montu, and Alpengeist, but Batman can compete with those coasters in regards to forces. 8.5 out of 10

Batman Loop.jpg
It's refreshing to see the true Batman the Ride after riding the imposter down in Mexico.

After my first diversion, I saw the skull staring directly at me. It was calling for me to ride it in the back row. It was hard denying myself that shockingly strong burst of ejector air, but instead I chose the coaster with floater air on every hill and no heavy metal music (along the ride that is), Nitro. It was maybe a 3-4 train wait for the back row, which took barely anytime thanks to 3 train operations.

I feel like Nitro should be one of the better B&M hyper coasters. I mean it has an excellent setting in the woods, a good layout, and airtime on every hill. But for whatever reason I just prefer the other B&M hypers out there. That being said, it's still a good and very reridable coaster. In most parks, it could be the star attraction, and during Holiday in the Park it is. But during the spring through fall, it takes a back seat to El Toro. 9 out of 10

Nitro Drop.jpg
The park's most explosive coaster has the water tower nearby as a precaution.

I was hopeful Kingda Ka would also be a walk-on, but I knew better. That coaster is never a walk-on and even if it were, I'd take the extra time to wait for row 1 anyway. How could I say no to the insane blast of wind at 128 MPH? I think the worst part about the mandatory fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo were that I no longer had a way to track the time. My watch resets when exposed to high G-forces (something other users never thought to mention :lmao: ) and I'm not able to tell time off the sun like the Mayans.

Ultimately I think I waited about a half hour and then was staring face to face with that imposing tower. No matter how many times I've ridden these accelerator coasters, the launch always astounds me with its raw power. I've never experienced a rollback, but it always feels like we're dang close cresting Kingda Ka. Even more than on its brothers like Top Thrill Dragster or Stealth. On this day, I thought I may finally get that much desired rollback, but as usual we glided over the top. It's insanely short, but when you hit the brake run, it's impossible not to be amped up. 9 out of 10

Kingda Ka Speed Hill.jpg
El Toro looks so small in this photo. That light post towers over everything!

Since my possessions were already in the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, I decided to walk a mile to Zumanjaro. I'm not sure if it's the absurdly long queue line, the sheer height, or a combination of the two, but I have never seen a wait for this drop tower and the trend continued on this day. There are other towers with more forceful drops (see any Larson tower), but this one isn't too far behind and has a major advantage in its length. This drop feels like it will never end, much like It's a Small World, except in this case I enjoy the entire experience. 10 out of 10

After retrieving my phone, wallet, and keys, I realized I had just a half hour left to devote to El Toro. I forked over another dollar to store my possessions and then made my way through El Toro's empty queue. I would have been happy just getting one ride on this monster of a coaster, but SFGAdv's amazing reride policy enabled me to get 5 consecutive rides. On a few of them, I did have to swap my seat, but I never strayed from the very back car.

The RMC coaster drops are insane. Their the new kids on the block. But on every single ride El Toro always reminds me why its the king of wooden coaster drops. I know the lift has been slowed since its inaugural year, but you're still cruising at a decent clip when you crest that first drop. It's impossible not to feel excited as you see the front half of the train glide over the crest because mere moments later, you are completely ejected from your seat.

The next two camelbacks provide the sustained ejector air that is Intamin's trademark. The speed and airtime is so strong that you feel yourself being ejected before you even hit the crest of the hill. El Toro then lulls you into a false sense of security. The far turnaround and subsequent speed hills are fast, but they lack the insane ejector air of their predecessors. For novice El Toro riders, they may think the bull is finished. But experienced riders know what lies around the corner- the mythical Rolling Thunder hill.

When you see this hill off-ride, the apex looks wrong; the radius looks far too tight for a hill that large. However, the end result is one of the top airtime moments in the world. If your loose articles somehow survived the first three moments of ejector air, this would be the straw that breaks the camel's back, or in this case the airtime that breaks your phone and causes you to whine to the operators afterwards. El Toro then feels like it kicks it into hyperdrive as it navigates the series of low-to-the-ground turns before casually rolling into the brakes, but not before giving a gentle pop of air or two.

What a rush! El Toro was able to remind me just how awesome of a wooden coaster it is an sneak its way back into my top 5 woodies (keep in mind it was previously 6th behind Voyage, so it's not like it was behind Lightning Racer or something). I can't quite put it ahead of the other 4 since El Toro does have a bit of a reprieve in the middle of the ride when the others haul from start to finish, but that's just nitpicking and a testament to how great the others are. The airtime on this coaster can only be described as insane and otherworldly. I'm glad I rode everything else before El Toro because I wouldn't have been able to pull myself off of this excellent coaster. 10 out of 10

And to anyone who calls El Toro rough, I have to ask, have you ridden anything like Clementon's Hellcat. Try that in the back seat and then come talk to us.

El Toro Rolling Thunder Hill.jpg
I'd love to know just how high this hill could launch a projectile...in the name of science of course.

El Toro Overview.jpg
Would I be tired the next day? Absolutely. But this was worth it.

As I exited the park, I did question if it was irresponsible to leave myself with a 5 hour drive home considering I had work the next day. But as I saw El Toro in the back of my eye I remembered, I'll just fuel up on coffee in exchange for airtime you can't really find anywhere else.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby joelwee » Fri May 11, 2018 10:40 am

I've been lurking in this thread for a while and just want to say your TRs are fantastic. The play-by-play reviews of rides and parks give a great visual to someone who's never visited those parks before.

I agree with you on the Batman B&M inverts... yeah, they're clones, but they're clones of a great ride.
Seat, don't fail me now!

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri May 11, 2018 10:52 am

Just want to say loving the last few updates. Nice to end it with the best. Ole!

Postby coasterbill » Fri May 11, 2018 10:56 am

Great report! That's a crazy amount of rides for such a short time at Great Adventure (especially considering the front seat Ka ride).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!