Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Lake Compounce- Retracked Wildcat and Boulder Dash
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 16, 2018 8:49 am

Condor wrote:Good to know Bullet is still getting some rave reviews. Always wanted to ride it. I've been looking for opportunities to go back to Texas this year so this sounds encouraging despite the bad ops.

I feel like the RMCs are the primary reason to come to Texas, but Boardwalk Bullet is within driving distance and reminds the state that good wooden coasters can exist.

bert425 wrote:Glad you enjoyed Boardwalk Bullet.

yeah, it's a bit rough, but when we pass Kemah while taking my Dad to Galveston, we often try to stop in for a ride or two (about all I can handle on it).

LOL. . operations are more often than not, that bad, but as you note, the employees are all very friendly.
and the food at the Landry's there, tho expensive, is good.

(makes sense, since they own the dang place) :p

I didn't find Boardwalk Bullet rough at all. If I drove by the place, I'd definitely stop in for a ride too since it's a really good coaster. In fact, I think that's what makes the operations all the more frustrating. It's a bummer what I experienced is the norm for the park, but they seemed to be doing quite well for themselves based on the crowds.

I didn't consider eating at Landry's. I ended up at a Subway somewhere between Houston and San Antonio. Not ideal, but I had a gift card to use.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers
Most Recent Trip Reports- Quassy and Lake Compounce

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby PeggedSole » Wed May 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Great trip reports!

I visited Kemah for the first time in March of 2017. I had heard/read various reports about Boardwalk Bullet before visiting so I wasn't sure what to expect. Ultimately, I just went in with low expectations. By the time I got to Kemah, it was in the evening after a light rain. I was a bit worried, but I ended up having some insanely crazy/fun rides on BB! I rode it several times (at least once in the front and once in the back), and I loved every ride. It was very aggressive, but it didn't cross the line into the "rough category" for me. Maybe it was because of my low expectations plus those (nighttime-after-a-light-rain) conditions, but BB surprised the hell out of me in the best possible way. I've read that Kemah has been slowly re-tracking BB over the past years. After your recent report, it sounds like Kemah is continuing to keep BB in good shape! Note: If you thought the layout of BB was disorienting during the day, try it at night! :lmao:

In related news: I rode Pleasure Pier's Iron Shark while I was in the area. It was a fun ride, but my rides on BB were superior. I also rode ZDT's Switchback. That's another good one, but I still preferred BB. Then again, some of favorite Texas coasters are at SFFT and SFoT!

Canobie, I look forward to reading your further adventures!

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed May 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Boardwalk Bullet has one of my all-time favorite layouts. Obviously it's up there in the setting department, too. I've had more good rides on it than bad, and I've been consistently impressed in recent memory--looks like it's my #24 wood.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 pm

I haven't heard the name Boardwalk Bullet in so long, what a flashback! Was very curious to see what you'd think of it and I'm glad you had a positive experience. It's a pretty great wooden coaster! You're just crushing these ARM towers, love it! Rack 'em up.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 16, 2018 7:20 pm

PeggedSole wrote:Great trip reports!

I visited Kemah for the first time in March of 2017. I had heard/read various reports about Boardwalk Bullet before visiting so I wasn't sure what to expect. Ultimately, I just went in with low expectations. By the time I got to Kemah, it was in the evening after a light rain. I was a bit worried, but I ended up having some insanely crazy/fun rides on BB! I rode it several times (at least once in the front and once in the back), and I loved every ride. It was very aggressive, but it didn't cross the line into the "rough category" for me. Maybe it was because of my low expectations plus those (nighttime-after-a-light-rain) conditions, but BB surprised the hell out of me in the best possible way. I've read that Kemah has been slowly re-tracking BB over the past years. After your recent report, it sounds like Kemah is continuing to keep BB in good shape! Note: If you thought the layout of BB was disorienting during the day, try it at night! :lmao:

In related news: I rode Pleasure Pier's Iron Shark while I was in the area. It was a fun ride, but my rides on BB were superior. I also rode ZDT's Switchback. That's another good one, but I still preferred BB. Then again, some of favorite Texas coasters are at SFFT and SFoT!

Canobie, I look forward to reading your further adventures!

Thanks!

Iron Shark is a fun ride, but it can't compete with a well done wooden coaster. Switchback is really close to Boardwalk Bullet in terms of quality (and equally as impressive in terms of footprint), but I give the edge to the Bullet for the longer ride and more expansive layout. And if they keep retracking it like they have, I don't see that changing. I can definitely see how that layout would be crazy at night; I couldn't even keep track of it during the day!

cal1br3tto wrote:Boardwalk Bullet has one of my all-time favorite layouts. Obviously it's up there in the setting department, too. I've had more good rides on it than bad, and I've been consistently impressed in recent memory--looks like it's my #24 wood.

I'm a sucker for wooden boardwalk coasters. Most of them are pretty typical out-and-backs, so that's one of the big things that separates Boardwalk Bullet. I value a ride that I can't memorize the layout since it keeps me on my toes.

PKI Jizzman wrote:I haven't heard the name Boardwalk Bullet in so long, what a flashback! Was very curious to see what you'd think of it and I'm glad you had a positive experience. It's a pretty great wooden coaster! You're just crushing these ARM towers, love it! Rack 'em up.

The coaster is definitely worth riding and it definitely helps having one of those Larson/ARM towers there as well. I'm honestly shocked I don't hear more about Boardwalk Bullet since it's not like it's in the middle of nowhere; it's near one of the most populated cities in the US.
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers

Postby PeggedSole » Wed May 16, 2018 8:04 pm

It sounds like I got lucky on my visit back in March 2017 since there was no wait for Boardwalk Bullet. It must have been the time of year combined with the rainy weather (and a lack of a Beer-Fest)!?!

I'm hoping to make it back out to TX later this year so I can visit some of my favorite coasters: New Texas Giant, Iron Rattler, Mr. Freeze, and Boardwalk Bullet. Well...a classic B&M Batman inverted is hard to beat as well! I didn't get to ride the S&S Free-Spins last year, but hopefully that will happen later this year? Additionally, I REALLY want to try out Wonder Woman's Lasso coaster!

PS: My favorite Texas coaster of all time just might be Phoenix! :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOHIIEOam_8

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 16, 2018 9:33 pm

^ Texas really is an amazing state for coasters. And I'd probably take the relocated alum over any of the state's coasters, though Iron Rattler and Wonder Woman do put up a very strong fight.

I know Saturdays are always the busiest day of the week and as a smaller park, there was a decent chance there'd be one train operations. I just figured they'd be able to send out more than 6-8 trains per hour. So you definitely lucked out!

Postby PeggedSole » Thu May 17, 2018 7:15 pm

This 1930s-40s Triple Racing Coaster in Dallas looks like it could have been a ton of fun! I'd love to see more about this coaster (along with using a time machine to go back and actually ride it)! A complete on-ride/POV would be awesome, but we're just lucky to have any of this coaster caught on film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wTZTX_2yrw

Dang, I just now learned about the Comet! Apparently, Comet was the successor to the Triple Racing Coaster at the State Fair of Texas. Comet operated until 1985. DAGNABBIT...my family had great friends in the Dallas-area which we visited many times back in the early-80s. UGH, (if only) I had known about Comet back then and rode it before it closed! :cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QmDAYDdY_I

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 pm

PeggedSole wrote:This 1930s-40s Triple Racing Coaster in Dallas looks like it could have been a ton of fun!

Yup. :( That triple racing layout just looks cool. And Comet looks like wild classic fun.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri May 18, 2018 7:24 am

^^ Add those as two more classic wooden coasters I wish I could have ridden. The triple racing woodie looks really cool. Thanks for sharing!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!