TR: Liam's first US visit (SFA, page 4!)

Including a 'SFA ugliness special'
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: TR: Liam's first US visit (SFA, page 4!)

Postby TheoB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:30 am

cfc wrote:...The "defunct ride" tower you came across was probably part of Skull Mountain, a rather long flume ride with forward and backward drops...

I had looked into this a while pack, its like Valhalla of the Americas basically but with worse theming, the rides similar though - it was just as much as a maintenance nightmare!
Helix|Balder|Wildfire|Nemesis|Furius Baco

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Jason Maier » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:19 pm

If Roar doesn't end up getting the RMC treatment . . . . I'd at least like to see Timberliner or Millennium Flyer trains at some point. Or do you just prefer the good old PTC trains?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:49 pm

Being the tallest ride in the park, and the only one that could potentially offer a real overview of the park, I decided to bring my camera along. I wrapped the camera's strap around my wrist a few times, both to comfort the ride operator and myself (I can get very paranoid holding loose items high above the ground or above water), and the ride operator either was lazy or had confidence in my camera holding skills that he allowed it. "Don't drop your camera", he said. It's probably a combination of both. Five minutes before, a cap fell down, so you would expect a good ride op to pay closer attention to loose items? I don't know but this is SFA and no one cares. I wish I had brought my camera on other rides as well, I could've shot some great pictures from Superman and the Wild One...

Nailed it.

If this would have been at SFGAdv, they probably would have called in police back-up if you tried to get on the Sky Screamer with your camera as they bring loose article/camera policies to an entirely new level at that park.

You could have a zippered camera carrier strapped/looped through your belt and you can better believe your A$$ that you're still going to be told to take it off and put it into a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo before you get on a ride on SFGAdv. :lol:

From SFA's website:

No cameras (video, still, cell-phone, smart phones, etc.) are allowed on any rides at any time. No exceptions.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby bill_s » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Jason Maier wrote:If Roar doesn't end up getting the RMC treatment . . . . I'd at least like to see Timberliner or Millennium Flyer trains at some point. Or do you just prefer the good old PTC trains?

A comparison of Wildcat, Lightning Racer and Roar show that once a GCI has been ravaged by PTCs there is little point to changing them. The MFs on Wildcat have the advantage of having no "wheel seats" in each car, but the disadvantage having no non-wheel seats either. The best seat on a PTC is better and the worst is horrible. Of course with enough trackwork, a coaster could come back after getting better trains, but if Hershey doesn't do that much then do you really think SFA would?

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby SLCHeadache » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Philrad71 wrote:
Being the tallest ride in the park, and the only one that could potentially offer a real overview of the park, I decided to bring my camera along. I wrapped the camera's strap around my wrist a few times, both to comfort the ride operator and myself (I can get very paranoid holding loose items high above the ground or above water), and the ride operator either was lazy or had confidence in my camera holding skills that he allowed it. "Don't drop your camera", he said. It's probably a combination of both. Five minutes before, a cap fell down, so you would expect a good ride op to pay closer attention to loose items? I don't know but this is SFA and no one cares. I wish I had brought my camera on other rides as well, I could've shot some great pictures from Superman and the Wild One...

Nailed it.

If this would have been at SFGAdv, they probably would have called in police back-up if you tried to get on the Sky Screamer with your camera as they bring loose article/camera policies to an entirely new level at that park.

You could have a zippered camera carrier strapped/looped through your belt and you can better believe your A$$ that you're still going to be told to take it off and put it into a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo before you get on a ride on SFGAdv. :lol:

From SFA's website:

No cameras (video, still, cell-phone, smart phones, etc.) are allowed on any rides at any time. No exceptions.

Wow. I'm thankful Gadv didn't bust me for taking pictures on their skyride. I had assumed it was okay since BGW's skyride allowed photography. Just to be safe, I deleted the Gadv skyride pics when I found out about the policy.

Re: PTC, don't PTCs have more momentum? That's what puts Roar above Wildcat for me.
Top steel: Intimidator 305 / Fury 325 / Twisted Colossus / Storm Runner / Tatsu
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mrlittle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:29 am

Your opinions of the theme parks you went to were fun to read. You don’t hold back. I hope you do more trip reports in the future.

Postby viking86 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:01 am

I came across this trip report for the first time yesterday, but now I've read through the whole thing and I think this is one of my favorite trip reports on this site! You have a great writing style, a good doze of humor without "trying too hard to be funny", and a great balance between text and pictures. And speaking of your pictures, you definitely have some skills here because I LOVE THEM! I was just about to write that I hope you have more to share, but I just saw that the SFA post was the last one. But anyway I really enjoyed so thank you for sharing your trip with us! :)

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:17 am

Great report of a not so great park.

Six Flags America already has a good coaster collection, but the park has so many awkward, lazy, and ugly bits that detract from the overall experience.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:54 am

SLCHeadache wrote:
Philrad71 wrote:

Nailed it.

From SFA's website:

Wow. I'm thankful Gadv didn't bust me for taking pictures on their skyride. I had assumed it was okay since BGW's skyride allowed photography. Just to be safe, I deleted the Gadv skyride pics when I found out about the policy.

Re: PTC, don't PTCs have more momentum? That's what puts Roar above Wildcat for me.

Yeah, I did something similar when I found that out about CP's camera policy (website states no cameras on rides except the train), which does seem a tad ridiculous when one can't take photos on a bucket-style rides like the Giant Wheel or Skyride.

But then again, you know America - where someone sooner or later will stand up to take a photo and fall out. Or someone would hang their arms out of the gondola and drop their camera on someone's head below.

I do know that others on this site have politely asked with regards to a ferris wheel and Skyride and have been obliged, so it certainly doesn't hurt to ask...or inquire at guest relations.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby MisterBrow » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Good report. Great pictures. Honest, accurate, fair review.

Bacon ranch fries. They count as a snack on the dining plan and give you a day's worth of calories. That picture is indeed SFA in a nutshell.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!