lign:center;margin:0 auto;">

Chuck's Oktoberfest & More Trip Report

Update: Europa Park
Users viewing this topic: cfc and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Chuck's Oktoberfest Trip Report

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:For those, like myself, who didn't know....

Schweinshaxe is a large pork knuckle roasted till crispy on the outside
and fork tender on the inside. This style is popular in Bavaria.

And I myself, am not totally "sold" on Currywurst.
I'm like others I know, who don't like Poutine. Period.
To each their own. :smile:

And then there's mayonnaise on fries....

Welp, I butchered that spelling, although your photo looks a lot yummier than the "hock" that I had at a restaurant not to far from the grounds, Bill. While the "hock" wasn't that great (very fatty and a little too chewy), the kraut there was amazing (as was the beer, of course)!

And yes, I LOVED currywurst (huge curry fan here)...and don't even get me going on delicious Belgian-style fries with mayo! ;)

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Part 2--Culture Day

While Oktoberfest is “culture,” most of us are more likely to consider museums, historical sites, and scenic vistas under that term. It’s always nice to take a break from coasters, insane flat rides, and funnel cake to appreciate a place’s heritage and natural beauty.

And if you can throw in an 8,000-foot-long alpine coaster down the side of a mountain, that’s a plus.

So, we set out from Munich with Mike the tour guide to see the Bavarian Alps, ride down the side of one at about 40 km/hour (about 25 miles/hour), and tour Neuschwanstein Castle--the pet project of “Mad” King Ludwig II and Walt Disney’s inspiration for Sleeping Beauty’s Castle at Disneyland.

The thing about Ludwig is that he wasn’t really insane, nor was he a particularly “bad” person; however, he wasn’t all that interested in governing his country, either. He was more into the arts (particularly theater and music) and architecture. He went deep into debt building Neuschwanstein, and only completed 10 rooms inside the huge castle before his own ministers had him declared insane. He was deposed and forced to leave Neuschwanstein for Berg Castle, where he was later found dead in just a few feet of water in Lake Starnberg. An autopsy found no water in his lungs, so the circumstances of his death remain “mysterious.”

But he did leave behind one of Bavaria’s biggest, most beautiful tourist attractions--so I guess there’s that.

I happened to sit next to Mike the tour guide at lunch, where I told him about Busch Gardens Williamsburg’s version of King Ludwig ala Curse of DarKastle: a “wicked ruler of a corrupt kingdom” who killed his parents and political opponents and was also a sorcerer and werewolf. His response: “That’s just mean!”

Maybe, but I think Ludwig got a better deal at BGW.

Let’s hit the road, shall we?
002.jpg
Welcome to the Bavarian Alps. I imagine you’ve guessed this already, due to the big mountains in this shot.
003.jpg
Look closely, and you’ll see someone who’s much braver than me.
004.jpg
I wonder how close he is to that rocky peak.
005.jpg
How could you miss a huge mountain like that?
006.jpg
Nice view, but time to go.
007.jpg
We stopped in this picturesque Bavarian town, which I think was called Garmisch.
008.jpg
If a bull with two axes ever charges you, I suggest running away.
009.jpg
A fountain in celebration of beer--why not?
010.jpg
OK, the guide said there was a bakery down here somewhere.
011.jpg
Murals like these are common in Bavaria. They often depict religious themes. Here is a representation of the finding of the Blessed Bagel of St. Brot of Glutenberg.
012.jpg
“Icicle lights have been hung to honor the Blessed Bagel, as you ordered, my liege.”
012a.jpg
“Break out the Sacred Cream Cheese! Both with honey and with chives! And warm up the Righteous Toaster of Antioch!”
014.jpg
Bad gas? Good thing the toilets are nearby.
017.jpg
This is Mike, the guide. He said many things. Guides tend to do that.
018.jpg
It was a very pretty town.
019.jpg
Wood carving is also a big thing in Bavaria, which makes sense when one has wood.
020.jpg
Is it necessary to tip a horse waiter if you can't understand what he's saying?
021.jpg
This is how they stack wood in Bavaria. Mike was quite knowledegable on anything having to do with Bavarian wood--and how to stack it.
021a.jpg
I didn’t take my camera or phone up the chair lift to the alpine coaster, but they did have good on-ride photos. A vending machine dispensed them at the bottom. This was definitely worth it. The ride was fast, fun, and (at times) terrifying.
022.jpg
I don’t think anyone did the ski jump. More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 am.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:18 pm

As I recall, I promised you a castle. Here it comes.
023.jpg
Welcome to Linderhof Palace, one of “Mad” King Ludwig’s homes. This fountain goes off every half hour, and it was very important that we see it. That’s why our guide spent a lot of time talking in front of a rack of postcards until about four minutes before “spout off.” I barely made it.
024.jpg
Here’s the palace unblocked by the fountain. Looks like a very nice place.
025.jpg
“Hey, you guys almost missed the fountain. What? Your guide kept you by the postcard rack while he talked about Ludwig and the palace? Shall I eat him for you?”
026.jpg
We were all deeply moved by the fountain experience, our lives changed forever.
027.jpg
The intricately detailed sculpture of a cherry picker shows that Ludwig was a man ahead of his time.
028.jpg
“A tissue and an air-sick bag for my horse, please!”
029.jpg
“Ugh! The puking horse is making me hurl, too!”
030.jpg
But, seriously folks, the Linderhof’s gardens were very pretty.
030a.jpg
Now it’s time for the main event: Neuschwanstein Castle.
031.jpg
Let’s take a photo of the castle from that bridge! No one ever thinks to do that!
032.jpg
The view was worth the crowded bridge.
032a.jpg
Yes, Neuschwanstein Castle is quite beautiful . . .
032b.jpg
. . . and not even my big head can spoil it.
033.jpg
There was a nice view from the other side of the bridge, too.
034.jpg
When I flew over from Dulles, it felt like July. It was nice to experience some “real” fall weather and color.
035.jpg
Ludwig spent his childhood in nearby Schwanstein Castle.
036.jpg
Out with the old Schwanstein and . . .
037.jpg
. . . in with the Neuschwanstein.
038.jpg
The castle is above, lunch is below. This is where I had some traditional Bavarian pork knuckle. It was OK, but I prefer a nice schnitzel.
039.jpg
We found a Smurf village nearby.
040.jpg
Almost time for our tour. Looks like Ludwig is having some work done--no doubt at great expense.
041.jpg
Another look at the bridge. I bet no one has ever taken this picture, either.
042.jpg
You can understand why Walt Disney was inspired by this castle when he built Disneyland.
043.jpg
But it looks a bit more like DarKastle here.
044.jpg
No photos were allowed inside. The finished rooms were beautiful; although the throne room had a raised platform for a throne, Ludwig never got a chance to use it.
045.jpg
Yes, it was a very nice day in the mountains. But we’ll be hitting some parks later. That's all for now.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Chuck's Oktoberfest & More Trip Report

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:25 am

Great update! The castle was truly a sight to behold from that bridge.

I wonder why you didn't post about your lunch before visiting the castle ;)
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:57 pm

Were those pictures taken in the village of Oberammergau? I'm asking because the photo of the alpine coaster mentions Oberammergau and that first grand building looks like Linderhof Palace. That is one of my bucket list places to visit.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:01 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:55 am

^I'm not sure. The alpine coaster was in Oberammagau, but I'm not clear if that was the town we stopped in (it probably was). The first palace was, indeed, Linderhof.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:47 am.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:35 am

I think the town was something else, but to be honest, I tuned our guide out right around this time (when he mentioned how we should all want to go visit a cute dog) so who knows!

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:52 am

I did a quick Google of the Post Taverne (it's in one of the photos), and I think the town was Garmisch-Partenkirchen (or maybe just "Garmisch").

It was nice to cruise through Oberammagau, as my parents did see the Passion Play years ago (and spent a day at Oktoberfest afterward).
Last edited by cfc on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:56 am.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:15 am

Yes, Garmisch sounds familiar!

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Chuck, your 'A to Zed' Trip Reports never fail....to make me laugh.....and to learn. Your wit is as dry and crackly as the post-Macy's Thanksgiving Day foliage in November. And your photos - rides, 'culture,' food - are delightful, delicious, de-lovely! Thanks! :lol:

Alice

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!