Chuck's Oktoberfest & More Trip Report

Update: Slagharen & Movie Park
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Chuck's Oktoberfest & More Trip Report

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Great report! Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had difficulty getting photos of Taron with the weather. I hadn't a clue what Klugheim was either, but their website gives a little more clarification. Link Basically it sounds like a working class village near a rocky landscape. Whatever Klugheim is, it looked fantastic!

I just rode Cheetah Hunt yesterday and I preferred Taron, but they're close. I agree though that Maverick is way better than both of those two.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Star Wars is gay.

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:41 pm

^I'd rank Taron on a similar level as Cheetah Hunt layout wise, but I'd also personally give Taron the edge, even if just for the comfier trains (I'm just a pinch too tall to fit well under those Cheetah Hunt-style OTSRs, and they have a nasty habit of tightening way too hard on my shoulders mid-ride).
人生は素晴らしき冒険旅行

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:46 pm

I did like the restraint system on Taron better than Cheetah Hunt's.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Part 6--From the Wild West to the 24th Century and the Gold Rush to Star Trek: Operation Enterprise

Our revels now are nearly ended . . .

Yes, this was the last day after the "official" last day of the Oktoberfest trip (in other words, an add-on day), and we spent the first part of it in the Netherlands at Slagharen. All I knew about this park was that they’d opened Gold Rush, a new Gerstlauer launched coaster, earlier this year. Other than that, I was all ignorance.

Slagaharen was a very nice little park, with surprisingly good theming (to the old American West and the world of Jules Verne) and a great coaster in Gold Rush. The ride does Gertslauer’s version of the “forward-backward-forward” launch bit that’s become so popular over the last few years. The train shoots forward, rolls back into the station, shoots backward and part way into an inversion, then rolls down and shoots forward through the course. The launches are intense, and depending on where you’re sitting, you might be hanging upside-down for a moment or two after the backward launch before zipping ahead through the rest of the ride’s crazy, twisting layout. Gold Rush is very smooth--much better than Bayern’s Freischütz (which can shake your fillings loose). There’s some good air time, too.

We only had a few hours at Slagharen for a filming session on Gold Rush, so there wasn’t much time to do anything other than tour the park and grab a quick bite.
002 - Copy.jpg
Either we’re very early or no one visits this park.
003 - Copy.jpg
We began our day in the Wild West for a filming/ERT session on Gold Rush.
004 - Copy.jpg
Looks like their original train concept didn’t work out too well.
005 - Copy.jpg
These trains were much better.
006.jpg
Remembrance of Rides Past
007.jpg
Unlike Bayern’s launched coaster, Gold Rush doesn’t try to shake or beat you to death.
008.jpg
Someone save us . . . oh, never mind! It’s too much fun.
009.jpg
Gold Rush has a great layout.
010.jpg
The coaster’s pretty, and so is the park.
011.jpg
And I’m not saying this just because they gave us coffee and donuts.
012.jpg
“Hey there, pilgrim. I’d hate to think that you didn’t wash your hands after using the toilet. I’d really hate to think that!”
013.jpg
The park also had a nice section themed to Jules Verne.
014.jpg
How many of you caught this “Around the World in 80 Days” joke? Phileas Fogg was the main character in the Verne novel.
015.jpg
“Captain Nemo! Giant squid approaching from the stern!”
“Ugh! Again with the damn squid! Break out the deep fryer and prepare the marinara sauce!”
016.jpg
Annoying pests or popular mascots? Your call.
017.jpg
Business has certainly picked up since we arrived.
017a.jpg
This is the most secure bridge in the Netherlands.
017b.jpg
Soylent Blue is Smurfs!
018.jpg
Gold Rush deserves another look.
019.jpg
This may be the “sleeper” new coaster of the year.
020.jpg
Yes, you gotta love a little park that has both Gold Rush . . .
021.jpg
. . . and poffertjes. On to the future!
Last edited by cfc on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:57 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:44 pm

One more new coaster this trip--Star Trek: Operation Enterprise, the launched Mack coaster at Germany’s Movie Park. This coaster was being built when I was at the park last year, and so (being an old Star Trek fan), I was happy for a chance to ride it.

When this coaster was announced, I thought that it was based on the new Star Trek movies. I was pleasantly surprised that Star Trek: The Next Generation was the inspiration. Movie Park built an entirely new section, Federation Plaza, for the ride. While it wasn’t Disney- or Universal-level theming, they did a pretty nice job (especially their facsimile of the Enterprise’s Bridge, which was part of the pre-show).

The Enterprise crew has been taken captive by the Borg, and it’s up us to rescue them (poor bastards). This requires piloting a “shuttle” on a crazy course to avoid Borg defenses, penetrate the Borg cube (which looks like a big black box with a green strobe light), save the crew, and get out. They even use a screen in the “shuttle bay" to show the course you must follow to pull this off; odd, but it looks a lot like the layout of the coaster (and involves a forward-backward-forward launch sequence--what a twist).

I enjoyed Star Trek: Operation Enterprise quite a bit. There was good air time on some of the hills, and the inversions are crazy. It’s a winner for Movie Park. Now if they could just do something about their wretched wooden coaster, Bandit.

Almost time to face “the final frontier.”
022.jpg
Hooray for Horrorwood! (Hmm . . . I sense another Halloween event.)
023.jpg
Boy, security is tough here!
024.jpg
Hmm . . . something new has been added since my last visit.
027.jpg
More on this later . . .
028.jpg
. . . if we live that long. Ulp!
031.jpg
Oh my god! Pumpkins and corn stalks!
032.jpg
It’s clear that something terrifying could happen here at any moment.
033.jpg
This sign is way up on the side of a building. The only way I could cross it would be if I were Spider-man.
034.jpg
AND WE’RE OFFERING AN APOCALYPSE OF SAVINGS!
035.jpg
Well, there’s goes my Christmas in the Big Apple. Guess I’ll have to go to Sacramento again.
036.jpg
Van Helsing’s Factory is still a lot of fun . . .
037.jpg
. . . and it has the coolest restroom signs.
038.jpg
You can still eat schnitzel, drink a beer, and watch “Addams Family” episodes dubbed into German here.
039.jpg
The Old West was never this horrifying.
040.jpg
Albert: The Man Without Fear!
041.jpg
Well, they reactivated my commission. Better drag my butt to Star Fleet Command. I'm sure they have a mission of profound importance for me!
042.jpg
Note the artfully tilted photo, which has become very popular online nowadays. Yes, I’m pandering shamelessly!
043.jpg
Yeah, don’t be like a Klingon.
044.jpg
What? You called me up to work in the Star Fleet gift shop?
045.jpg
I wonder if this plush Romulan ship can fire an adorable bolt of high-energy plasma capable of disintegrating an asteroid.
046.jpg
So, the Enterprise crew works in their pajamas?
047.jpg
Star Fleet must be getting desperate if they’re accepting bears.
047a.jpg
This “Holodeck Simulator” looks suspiciously like a roller-coaster test seat.
048.jpg
So, the Enterprise crew is depending on us to save them. They are so screwed!
049.jpg
Picard loses his crew, and they mount a rescue mission. I lose a crew and spend the rest of my Star Fleet career cleaning space latrines and working in the gift shop. There is no justice!

More to come from Movie Park.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:14 pm

Great report! Gold Rush and Star Trek look like two great coasters.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Post that last set of photos! Make it so, Number 1!
050.jpg
“We are the Borg. This queue has been assimilated. We shall add its biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.”
050a.jpg
So that's where the shuttle hangar is. Must've skipped class that day at Star Fleet Academy.
051.jpg
“USS Vakompire”? Who’s the captain--Dracula?
051a.jpg
“I’m the baddest Frenchman you will ever see, because I’m British.”
052.jpg
“I am the captain of the Vakompire. We shall attack the Borg and drink their precious blood!”
053.jpg
Hmm--caught in a Borg tractor beam. My finely honed commander's instincts tell me that's not good.
054.jpg
“Save us! The Borg drink Pepsi instead of Coke, and their beer is really bad pilsner!”
056.jpg
What? The Enterprise crew being subjected to Pepsi and bad beer? This situation calls for decisive action.
057.jpg
Mr. Crouse! Push random buttons! Engage!
057a.jpg
This is our “shuttle craft.” Sporty, eh?
058a.jpg
The mission is rather complicated. First, you’re launched up while photon torpedoes whiz over your head.
058b.jpg
Then you’re launched backwards up this spike--all while hoping a stray phaser blast doesn't explode your head.
059.jpg
Back down you go (you hope with enough speed to avoid being vaporized).
060.jpg
Now you have enough momentum to break through a weakness in the Borg defenses.
060a.jpg
Who knew that a rescue mission could be so much fun.
061.jpg
Movie Park and Mack have come up with a very good ride.
062.jpg
So, riding roller coasters = Star Fleet training?
063.jpg
Bring it on, you Borg bastards!
064.jpg
OK, Borg, that was a good one there! You’ve confused us for a moment.
065.jpg
But we’re gonna cram this shuttle . . .
066.jpg
. . . down your cyborg throats!
067.jpg
Assimilate this, suckers!
068.jpg
OK, who’s flying this thing?
068a.jpg
The guy in front looks absolutely terrified.
069.jpg
Space . . . the final frontier . . .
070.jpg
. . . of fun!
071.jpg
Mission accomplished! My career is saved! What? Yes sir, I can close the shop tonight . . .groan.
072.jpg
That’s a wrap from Movie Park. Back to Dusseldorf, then home. Thanks for another great time in Europe, Robb and Elissa--and thank you all for reading.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:32 pm

I would love to take a European trip! You're pictures are wonderful! =) Great trip report!
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby The Great Zo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:35 pm

That whole Star Trek area is a huge change for Movie Park. Really impressive, actually!

They've still got a lot of work to do -- dated attractions and some really awful big coasters -- but this is a great first step. Have to say, their family/kids area is really quite nice too.
-- Andy

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby JordyC » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:50 am

Great reports and photos! I really enjoyed Gold Rush and Star Trek: Operation Enterprise when I rode them earlier this year. Both are different, but in a way pretty similar. I prefer the launches on Gold Rush, but Operation Enterprise has a great mix of airtime and hangtime and I just love that!

It looks like an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Shambhala - PortAventura Park 2. Taron - Phantasialand 3. Helix - Liseberg 4. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 5. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa-Park 6. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 7. Silver Star - Europa-Park 8. Goliath - Walibi Holland 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Alpina Blitz - Nigloland

Coasters: 158 || Parks: 31

Phantasialand Wintertraum || Movie Park Germany || Nigloland || Walygator Parc || Bakken || Tivoli Gardens || PortAventura || Ferrari Land || Plopsaland De Panne || Efteling || Liseberg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!