TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Suzuka Circuit Announces Duel GP.

With the latest addition to the "is it a coaster?" debate. Suzuka Circuit in Japan has announced Duel GP. Advertised as the world's first "two-seater coaster that passengers can steer by themselves"

http://www.suzukacircuit.jp/gpfield_s/duelgp/

I have literally no idea quite what type of ride this is or how the "Steer it yourself" bit works but it looks like it will be an nice addition to their already quirky line up. I mean this is the park that has a coaster where the launch speed is determined by how loud you can shout on the launch track.

GP3.png.ad02090be2bfdb7a275e8e86160bcc19.png

GP4.jpg.cc7eefc51c0b24c9e773e263821c0bcc.jpg

GP1.thumb.jpg.9634e45733ba93b667190a765225ecf6.jpg

GP2.png.591ce8bbdc29bcfe66fcda53eb09bd6f.png

GP5.png.f01f7290280553068d87bf71ae799419.png

I think the best thing here is that the track is a mini replica of the Suzuka F1 circuit itself.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it looks like, including the layout, a longer version of Test Track in EPCOT, and a racing one like in CarsLand.

And on tracks. And possibly steer-able???.... If you go "off-course" (small VR screen "windshield") , it auto slows down your "car"?

I like it! (And I don't care if it's a coaster - or not. Whatever. It looks like FUN!)

At first glance this seems to be similar to a Maurer Spike system (EDIT: this thing), but I've never heard of this kind of attraction actually spinning the cars around. Looks like fun!

Edited by A.J.

• 3 months later...

Those back-and-forth s-curves, behind the station. before the end of it, still makes my eyes pop out!

Can't wait to see this, how it looks (and rides) from the POV and the offride look at it.

Oh god, this thing???

[attachment=0]22095264_10211638245645838_1265894780_o.png[/attachment]

Yeah that ride was not amazing...

It looked like a ride-on lawnmower as designed by the special-effects team of Star Trek.

Very interesting, the basic construction screams powered coaster to me. I can see the flat bar steel down the center of the spine for what I assume might either be A. Simply a catwalk surface or B. Surface for a drive tire of some sort like you find on any other powered coaster. What is yet to be seen is a bus rail or and any kind of electrical pick up which would be 100% confirmation of being a powered coaster type. Also unknown based on these photos is any other kind of launching or braking mechanism, but could obviously be missing based on where it is in the construction timeline. Count me in for being interested in this project

• 3 weeks later...
Holy skidmarks, Batman, look at this image from Suzuka Circuit via Cupcakes and Coasters... this looks like it will be a lot of fun It appears to drift around corners (and is definitely powered as you thought, Noobitzer)

Could you imagine what a proper Fast and Furious ride based on this could be.

Or just a Ferrari World version.

Holy skidmarks, Batman, look at this image from Suzuka Circuit via Cupcakes and Coasters... this looks like it will be a lot of fun It appears to drift around corners (and is definitely powered as you thought, Noobitzer)

And in that photo you can clearly see the electrical pick ups for the ride vehicles. Great find. Someone find a video of this thing in action!

So many people are all "is this a coaster or not?" because you can see the track, but do people not realize this is *EXACTLY* what Test Track, Radiator Springs Racer, and Journey to the Center of the Earth looks like if you pulled up the floor? There is coaster track underneath it. It's just so funny to me how people get all freaked out over the coaster debate over visuals that they can see, but don't even think to bring it up over rides that you can't see how it works. Just a thought...

thumb_battle3_1.jpg

This is why I don't count coasters anymore, because, really, who cares? Why not just focus on if it's fun or not instead of having to obsessively classify something? Although I guess for some of you reading this post, you now have three new "coasters" you can add to your list that you may not have realized had "roller coaster track" before!

Edited by robbalvey

Yep I agree! Full disclosure: I only mentioned it was powered as I noticed a couple of members discussing whether it was propelled by a mini launch or was more like a powered coaster rather than it being an 'is it a credit' thing.

I don't count coasters either as it's basically admin to me, and even I can't decide for myself what counts as a credit or not so there is no way I could ever wade into an 'is it a coaster' argument as it's an argument about black and white when there are thousands of colours of grey.

See also: "What is an inversion?"