TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasters after a leg injury

So, after we finished our SFGE, SFNE, LC, Quassy, SFGAd loop back in June I dislocated (previous dislocation 27 years before) my kneecap, fracturing it, and putting a few fractures in my femur. We're just going to say baseball injury. Before the fractures were diagnosed I was figuring I would be back in action by the Halloween festivities. With a 4-6 month heal time on the leg fractures Holiday rides aren't going to happen making opening day 2018 the goal.

Anybody out there had a nasty knee or leg injury? How long before you were riding comfortably again?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my hip replaced at 36 a couple of years back. I took most of the next year off, but have had no trouble riding coasters since then. That said, I haven't been on anything with really extreme air time either, and I'm a little worried about hip pressure from rides like Skyrush.

Best of luck with your recovery!

I had a full knee reconstruction in October 2007- transplanted ACL, cleaned up a torn meniscus, bolts, staples, the whole nine. I was good to go for the regular season in 2008 as far as riding. Actually lasting all day walking around that much was another issue. It was probably 2010 before I could tolerate a full day of walking around a park.

^ So far, touch wood, I haven't really had that kind of physical bone injury to ever comment on something such as this.

But - I wish you the speediest ongoing recovery - and the best recovery to eventually ride coasters and more flat rides.

On a MUCH MUCH smaller scale than the aforementioned posts, I have had what is probably a minor tear in my meniscus for about six years. It usually doesn't bother me too much, unless I stop working it with a combination of weekly resistance workouts, occasional short 2-3 mile runs, 20-30 minutes of elliptical workouts, or oddly enough, ice hockey 1-2 times per week. The resistance workout is standard and I pick the other cardio workouts a couple times a week. Likely, my knee will eventually need to get cut on, but if I keep working it I think I can prolong that for quite a while. Luckily, walking in a park rarely bothers it and coasters have no effect.

If you're still in the recovery phase, I would at least stick to smoother more tolerable coasters. Avoid the quick transitions or bumpy rides. I could imagine any quick direction change could be your demise. Do you exercise it? I'm sure it could be painful at first, but after a while light exercise can be a big relief. Or at least that's my understanding. More muscle to support the joints goes a long way.

Good luck with your recovery.

As for back problems for back problems, I can't say how much I recommend semi-monthly chiropractor visits, even for the healthy. Especially if your job requires you to sit down for prolonged periods of time, regularly carry loads, or strap on pounds of equipment like I do.

I tore my ACL playing soccer and had surgery and reinjured it and had a second surgery and then subsequently reinjured it and never got it repaired again. Kept playing soccer, and do now 8 years after the initial injury. I have a pretty high tolerance for the related discomfort obviously, but I've had a pretty much trashed knee for a long time, and have never really had any issues with riding coasters at all. Even on inverted coasters it's not a problem. I could see it being uncomfortable shortly after surgery, when everything is tender and tentative, and I don't remember specifically when I went to parks over the course of the whole saga of my knee.

But, I never felt like the actual riding of coasters caused any discomfort at all. In fact, it's an opportunity to sit down for a couple minutes. The bigger problem is walking around and standing all day long. Some trains can be problematic to maneuver into and out of, but once I got in and situated I've never had a issue. I know I've mistreated the hell out of my body and gotten quite used to my knee feeling worse than others might tolerate. Hope this is helpful and doesn't create any overconfidence on your part.

• 8 months later...

Thank you to everyone that responded.

We went to the park opening weekend in April (SFA) and the biggest ride I got on was Ragin' Cajun and had no issue. I winched when VooDoo drop let go though.

After a year , a clean MRI last week, still technically n the healing process, and stairs being a battle... I hit the park today. No issues with Wild One, Jokers Jinx, or Superman. ROAR was a bit rumbly and I was glad I had thrown on the light brace for banging.

Even with the rainy conditions walking wasn't too bad. SFA at opening did not equate to much walking and standing (about 2 hours). Getting in and out of the rides was a bit careful and deliberate.

I have no immediate plans for the likes of El Toro or SkyRush, but holy cow, after not getting air time for a year and missing the family trip to Knoebels last summer- it was great.

But, if anyone suffers through this in the future and wants the answer: I would say give it a year.