TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I wrote a book about Libertyland!

I've been hard at work since last summer writing a book about Memphis' former amusement park, Libertyland. And I'm excited to be able to share it with the world!

The book is available on Amazon and other online retailers.

libertyland-book.thumb.jpg.4e29c416bcd826abaa730967031f65c2.jpg

I'm happy to answer any and all questions about the book! As a Memphis native, I thought I knew a lot about Libertyland prior to writing this book. Turns out, I did not!

More information is available at LibertylandBook.com.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember riding the Revolution 23 times in a row on a slow day. In my eyes, that coaster gave Libertyland the edge over Orpyland back in the mid 80's as the Wabash Cannonball only had corkscrews. And... I have fond memories of the stand that had the iced floating watermelons that came from the Scott Street Market. The Zippin Pippin was my first coaster. No Wacky Worms for me.

Another casualty of King Willy. Just gave the Zippin Pippin name rights away. Somehow, if the city had held on to them, the folks that run Graceland these days may have been interested.

I've posted updates on the Grand Carousel and it's new home at the Children's Museum.

Memphis has a perfect spot for a Tivoli Gardens style park, Mud Island. Especially the northern end.

I've been hard at work since last summer writing a book about Memphis' former amusement park, Libertyland. And I'm excited to be able to share it with the world!

The book is available on Amazon and other online retailers.

[attachment=0]libertyland-book.jpg[/attachment]

I'm happy to answer any and all questions about the book! As a Memphis native, I thought I knew a lot about Libertyland prior to writing this book. Turns out, I did not!

More information is available at LibertylandBook.com.

Oh, is the old pic for an airplane showing the horse track and the ZP in it?

That cover photo is fantastic! Congrats.

Thanks! I can't take credit for the photo, though. It was taken by Robert Dye, who photographed for the park.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I just purchased a copy and will add it to my library in due course. Keep a lookout for it appearing on RollerCoasterMediaLibrary .com

Simon

Awesome - thank you so much!

That's fantastic! Well done! It must have been a fascinating project to work on. What kind of archival work was involved?

It was a labor of love but incredibly rewarding. The photographs were sourced from local libraries, historical archives, former employees, visitors, etc. The entire book was really a community effort. There are so many names deserving of a spot on the cover.

^Very cool! I will fetch a copy. Zippin Pippin was the only coaster I ever ate an ice cream cone on. True story.

Now that's a Zippin Pippin story if I've ever heard one. And now I want to eat ice cream while riding a coaster.

I remember riding the Revolution 23 times in a row on a slow day. In my eyes, that coaster gave Libertyland the edge over Orpyland back in the mid 80's as the Wabash Cannonball only had corkscrews. And... I have fond memories of the stand that had the iced floating watermelons that came from the Scott Street Market. The Zippin Pippin was my first coaster. No Wacky Worms for me.

Another casualty of King Willy. Just gave the Zippin Pippin name rights away. Somehow, if the city had held on to them, the folks that run Graceland these days may have been interested.

I've posted updates on the Grand Carousel and it's new home at the Children's Museum.

Memphis has a perfect spot for a Tivoli Gardens style park, Mud Island. Especially the northern end.

Eh, I don't think the park's demise can be traced back to any one person. I tried to steer clear of politics in the book, instead focusing solely on the facts and photographs, the latter of which tell the best story. I do wish Graceland would have picked up the Pippin. The people of Green Bay adore the replica. If only...

That cover photo is fantastic! Congrats.

Thanks! I can't take credit for the photo, though. It was taken by Robert Dye, who photographed for the park.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I just purchased a copy and will add it to my library in due course. Keep a lookout for it appearing on RollerCoasterMediaLibrary .com

Simon

Awesome - thank you so much!

That's fantastic! Well done! It must have been a fascinating project to work on. What kind of archival work was involved?

It was a labor of love but incredibly rewarding. The photographs were sourced from local libraries, historical archives, former employees, visitors, etc. The entire book was really a community effort. There are so many names deserving of a spot on the cover.

^Very cool! I will fetch a copy. Zippin Pippin was the only coaster I ever ate an ice cream cone on. True story.

Now that's a Zippin Pippin story if I've ever heard one. And now I want to eat ice cream while riding a coaster.

Eh, I don't think the park's demise can be traced back to any one person. I tried to steer clear of politics in the book, instead focusing solely on the facts and photographs, the latter of which tell the best story. I do wish Graceland would have picked up the Pippin. The people of Green Bay adore the replica. If only...

Mid South Fair Maanagement was horriffic as well. The fairgrounds limited any expansion at that time, now look at it. The fact that all that became of Libertyland at this time is a tailgating area for team that attracts around 35,000 a game. The MCS stands vacant with neverending quibbling over it's future. There's a huge void in the region. Memphis is ideally situated between Nashville, LittLe Rock, and Jackson MS. to support a good regional dry/water park and a hotel or two adjacent to it. Perfectly space between to two HFC parks and Six Flags parks. Magic Springs doesn't really count does it?

Anyhoo, I bought the book.

Hello Tivoli on the Mississippi

Screenshot_2017-09-27-08-39-03.thumb.png.e7b4ec03a9a5b62c9aacce611252069d.png

Look at availible specs on the north end, south of the bridge

Mid South Fair Maanagement was horriffic as well. The fairgrounds limited any expansion at that time, now look at it. The fact that all that became of Libertyland at this time is a tailgating area for team that attracts around 35,000 a game. The MCS stands vacant with neverending quibbling over it's future. There's a huge void in the region. Memphis is ideally situated between Nashville, LittLe Rock, and Jackson MS. to support a good regional dry/water park and a hotel or two adjacent to it. Perfectly space between to two HFC parks and Six Flags parks. Magic Springs doesn't really count does it?

Anyhoo, I bought the book.

Hello Tivoli on the Mississippi

Tiger Lane is very nice (and is separate from the Libertyland site), especially with the growing success of Memphis' football program. But I agree that the lack of space didn't help the park.

I don't think Memphis will ever see another park. The economic base just isn't there.

Thanks for buying the book!

• 2 weeks later...

I received this book a few days ago and thoroughly enjoyed the read. I have since added it to the Roller Coaster Media Library website. Listing / more details here: http://rollercoastermedialibrary.com/libertyland/

The RCML is also back on Facebook, which also features the new Libertyland book.

https://www.facebook.com/Roller-Coaster-Media-Library-133528053957923/

Simon