Golden Ticket Awards 2017

Europa Park best park, El Toro & Fury 325 best coasters
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Golden Ticket Awards 2017

Postby Afterburner » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Superbatboy wrote:Intimidator (Carowinds), Nitro, Top Thrill Dragster, Banshee, Magnum all rated above Skyrush? OMG just stop :roll:

Hey, at least they finally figured out which Intimidator is superior. Baby steps...

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby kenban » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:02 pm

I suspect the problem with the Golden Ticket Awards is actually one of demographics. The average voter is likely different then the individuals which visit coaster forums. If the average voter was maybe 10-15 years older then the people commenting here I would expect to see a preference towards smoother slightly less intense coasters. Basiclly a preference for B&M vs an Intamin.

I believe this is the same reason the awards are dominated by US parks and attractions. If the majority of the voters live here they will naturally spend more time at US parks and will then more often vote for those parks.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:05 pm

Hey, they got the Top Steel coaster right, and I can't fault El Toro over The Voyage (I haven't ridden Phoenix or Boulder Dash), so that's cool too! Who cares how the rest of the rankings shake out? Besides, I always felt like these rankings were more for a GP crowd, rather than the hardcore enthusiast crowd anyway... Though that doesn't explain Europa Park beating CP again. Never mind... I can't explain these awards after all! Carry on with the complaining! :lol:
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 am

To be honest, a lot of the top 10 rankings on both lists are ones I have in my top 10. So that may mean that they're truly great rides, or it may mean this list is as limited as my own experience is. I really couldn't say with certainty, but I'm leaning toward the latter. I have been outside the U.S., several times in fact, but I've never been to an amusement park anywhere but the U.S., and mainly in the Midwest. There are still several major parks in this country I've not been to. I've never been to a Sea World/Busch park. I've never been to Orlando. So for this list to mirror my own as closely as it does.... I'm going to say that isn't great.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:21 am

I just want to see Phoenix finally win the top wood coaster spot one year. I think it would be pretty entertaining to see a ride finally get the award after 30+ years of operation.

I take the awards with a grain of salt, but still do like looking through them. From what I heard, Lake Compounce put on a great event for everyone this year.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:19 am

It's hard to explain to GP why seeing a bunch of "#1 coaster" Golden Tickets in front of Millennium Force doesn't necessarily mean it really was the best coaster in the world all those years.

I was happy for Mystic Timbers getting "best new ride" until I realized it won over Flight of Passage. Now I have mixed emotions. :|

Anyway, some rankings I agree with and some I don't and some I'm not travelled enough to really weigh in on. It's still interesting to see but personally, I don't take these too seriously.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:49 am

Honestly, does Disney need the validation from GTA for the best new ride?

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:58 am

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:It's hard to explain to GP why seeing a bunch of "#1 coaster" Golden Tickets in front of Millennium Force doesn't necessarily mean it really was the best coaster in the world all those years.

I wouldn't think it's any harder than explaining why Moonlight wasn't the best movie last year. Awards are opinions, when it comes down to it.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:20 am

If these awards really meant anything wouldn't Walt Disney World be able to win every single award theoretically? I mean aside from say best sea life park lol.
But seriously almost every catergory you could slide in a Disney ride or park. I think Busch Gardens is a well landscaped park but come on, Animal Kingdom could easily take that claim too.
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:122
STEEL:94
WOOD:28
PARKS:24

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:21 am

If these awards really meant anything wouldn't Walt Disney World be able to win every single award theoretically? I mean aside from say best sea life park lol.
But seriously almost every catergory you could slide in a Disney ride or park. I think Busch Gardens is a well landscaped park but come on, Animal Kingdom could easily take that claim too.
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:122
STEEL:94
WOOD:28
PARKS:24

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!