Golden Ticket Awards 2017

Europa Park best park, El Toro & Fury 325 best coasters
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Golden Ticket Awards 2017

Postby defrocker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:04 pm

robbalvey wrote:
defrocker wrote:I love these awards!

...said no respectable person ever.

I mean, I don't really care if enthusiasts agree with these or not. There's no such thing as a "perfect poll" and in the end, they aren't really for us anyways. They mean something to the parks and it's something easy for them to market if they care to. Personally, I like them because they are really the only "high profile" award that comes out regarding amusement parks, and it puts them in the spotlight potentially drawing in visitors. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:38 pm

defrocker wrote:
robbalvey wrote:

I mean, I don't really care if enthusiasts agree with these or not. There's no such thing as a "perfect poll" and in the end, they aren't really for us anyways. They mean something to the parks and it's something easy for them to market if they care to.

Oh, wow. Thank you SO MUCH for explaining to me what the Golden Tickets were! I mean we had NO IDEA AT ALL! I feel so much more enlightened and educated now that I've read your post. I will be able to go out in the world and have a much better understanding of what the Golden Ticket Awards are now! I cannot thank you enough for that important tidbit of information that somehow we have missed all these years!

Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:39 pm.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:51 pm

defrocker wrote:
robbalvey wrote:

I mean, I don't really care if enthusiasts agree with these or not. There's no such thing as a "perfect poll" and in the end, they aren't really for us anyways. They mean something to the parks and it's something easy for them to market if they care to. Personally, I like them because they are really the only "high profile" award that comes out regarding amusement parks, and it puts them in the spotlight potentially drawing in visitors. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Coincidentally, they all purchase advertising in Amusement Today to celebrate their win too ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:54 pm

I enjoy the Golden Ticket Awards, because it's fun to watch everyone throw a fit every year.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Genx24 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Oh man, that top 10 steel list is some sort of something...
Skyrush/El Toro/Boulder Dash/Superman/New Texas Giant/Phantom's Revenge/Wicked Cyclone/Phoenix/Stormrunner/Xcelerator
Total coasters: 122

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:57 pm

prozach626 wrote:I enjoy the Golden Ticket Awards, because it's fun to watch everyone throw a fit every year.

I'm not sure it's "throwing a fit" as much as it is the harsh reality of being reminded that the industry is made up more of who can spend the right amount of money towards the correct people instead of efforts and merits being truly rewarded.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Attending the Golden Ticket Awards in 2016 was one of the most fun work trips I have been on. The event itself with networking opportunities, the food, and an awards show that is put on very well despite the questionable winners and rankings. It feels like there is a group of voters who is reluctant to accept that a park, ride, or attraction that might be a favorite for sentimental reasons could be outclassed by many of the innovative new things that have made the industry so great. For example, stop trying to hold onto the notion that The Beast is a Top 10 wooden coaster. It has been outclassed with so many better rides that have outdone it in airtime, intensity, setting, etc..

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:18 pm

ajfelice wrote:The event itself with networking opportunities

And that right there is kind of the whole point of it, on an industry-wide scale. Not saying that's wrong, I just wish more people would understand what the Golden Tickets REALLY represent.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby XM Keeper » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 pm

I enjoy reading the Golden Ticket Awards, it's fun to see how most people view the current state of amusements parks. It's also intriguing to examine changes in the what people are liking each year.

Most interesting thing to me is Iron Rattler placing as 4th best steel coaster and Fiesta Texas winning best new water ride. While I have never personally never ridden Thunder Rapids, it perplexes me how such a lesser-known Six Flags park won best new water ride at all. It seems that Fiesta Texas is attracting a lot of attention from a lot of people. Good for it.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:20 pm

I respectfully judge the people that take Golden Ticket Awards results seriously. You do you, you do you.

I do think attending one of these events can be very fun though.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!