Hurricane Irma Florida Parks Updates

Post info here!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Hurricane Irma Florida Parks Updates

Postby bgtlover » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Fun Spot Parks will be closed tomorrow.
fsclosed.JPG
Current Coaster Count: 87
Top 10:
1-Fury 325...2-Mako...3-Kraken...4-Montu... 5-Afterburn...6-Cheetah Hunt...7-Thunderhead...8-Manta...9-Volcano...10-Alpengeist

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby The Great Zo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:36 am

Just using familiar landmarks as reference points, here are the official forecasts for Busch Gardens and Magic Kingdom. For both locations, the strongest winds are going to occur between 9PM Sunday night and 6AM Monday morning.

Orlando's going to have some problems from this, with 60-80 MPH winds. That'll do widespread minor damage, probably a few more significant issues here and there, though far from a major disaster. Newer, well-built homes should withstand it fine.

For Tampa, and especially areas along the coast? It just isn't good news, not with the potential for gusts exceeding 100 MPH. Expect more significant structural damage and probably some lengthy power outages (not to mention water issues in coastal/bayfront areas). And not that theme parks are the most important thing in the world, but don't expect BGT to open right back up.

Of course, if anyone has any interests in the lower keys, it's as bad of news as it gets. They're within a few hours of a direct hit.

But I can't end this post without some levity, so please laugh at this idiot earlier Saturday in Key West. :lmao:
-- Andy

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:26 am

bgtlover wrote:Fun Spot Parks will be closed tomorrow.
fsclosed.JPG

Yeah I'm not shocked they only announced a one day closure so far. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they attempt to open tomorrow afternoon / evening. They did that during Matthew to attempt to capitalize on the fact that every other park in Orlando was closed and there were tons of tourists stuck in their hotels with nothing to do.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:28 am

The Great Zo wrote:
But I can't end this post without some levity, so please laugh at this idiot earlier Saturday in Key West. :lmao:

Yep--don't flip out and panic, but don't be stupidly "brave," either.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby bert425 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:47 am

don't have Twitter, so can't repond or re-tweet -- tho I can see it from front page of TPR. . . so going to say here, Robb:

your response on Twitter to the trolls upset you were at Disney last night is SPOT on.

very well said, and it's a shame that there are enough morons with Twitter access that some even questioned the parks being open and that folks wanted to go.

Growing up in Houston? I TOTALLY understand doing something to take one's mind off an upcoming Hurricane -- *especially* if a place has evaluated the data, and determined it was going to be safe (at that time) for them to be open and for people to attend.

good for you on the response, and i only wish I could share to a larger audience.

y'all stay safe, and see you on the other side!

bert
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:12 pm

How are you guys doing in Florida?
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Totally fine here in Orlando. We're about 5-10 miles straight line from Disney.

As of 4pm we've had 6'' of rain (since Friday), no thunder, no lightning, no wind.

Wind is supposed to pick up soon.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby BlahBlahson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Last night was a bit annoying as most everything in town was closed, even though the storm was at minimum 15-18 hours from arrival, with no direct hit. So I'm fine with anything that was open all day yesterday. Today has been very rainy but as of yet no power loss for me at 4:30 PM, I feel terribly for Naples/Ft Meyers and Tampa that are taking direct hits however.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Stay safe down there, everyone!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:17 pm

Getting some decent winds and rain now. Some power flickering. Hopefully once it is light we'll get some updates.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!