TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pennsylvania Trip Advice

Hey guys and gals!

I'm planning a trip to PA next month (Fri 10/13 - Mon 10/16) and I have some questions about the things to see or skip. There are three theme parks and three haunted attractions I'd ideally like to see, but can only make two of each work schedule wise. Can someone help me with Pros and Cons?

Parks - Hershey, Knobels, Dorney (which i would get in for free)

Haunts -Eastern State Penn, Pennhurst Asylum, Dorney's Haunt

My current plan is...

Friday Evening - Fly into Philly and do Eastern State Penn, then drive up north to Hotel.

Sat - All day at Hershey Park

Sun - Dorney until it closes at 7, then drive down to do the Pennhurst Asylum haunt.

Mon - Drive north to Centralia to check it out, then go back home.

Thanks in advance! Also, any general park advice would be SUPER welcomed. First visit to all of these places.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have tickets for Hershey on Sat. . you should be able to get in on Friday night for a few hours.

so take advantage of that.

http://www.hersheypark.com/tickets/admission-tickets.php

(look at the "Preview Plan" section at the bottom right):

Preview Plan

A sweet sneak peek is included!

Present your ticket at the main entrance 2.5 hours before closing the night before your visit and enjoy a fun-filled evening! All daily tickets qualify for this plan.**

8 PM closing

Admission

after 5:30 PM

10 PM & 11 PM closing

Admission

after 7:30 PM

**Not valid on Sunset, Consecutive-day, or Hersheypark Event Special Admission.

I'd also skip Dorney. . . stay at Hershey until close on Sat night, Sunday Morning, head to Knoebel's and stay there all day.

(admission and parking is free. . pay per ride). . . better choice than Dorney, even if you get in free.

if anything, Hit Dorney for a few hours on Monday before you head out. you can likely hit all the major rides in just about 3-4 hours.

if you have tickets for Hershey on Sat. . you should be able to get in on Friday night for a few hours.

Preview Plan

Present your ticket at the main entrance 2.5 hours before closing the night before your visit and enjoy a fun-filled evening! All daily tickets qualify for this plan.**

8 PM closing

Admission

10 PM & 11 PM closing

Admission

I'd also skip Dorney. . . stay at Hershey until close on Sat night, Sunday Morning, head to Knoebel's and stay there all day.

(admission and parking is free. . pay per ride). . . better choice than Dorney, even if you get in free.

if anything, Hit Dorney for a few hours on Monday before you head out. you can likely hit all the major rides in just about 3-4 hours.

So, skip one Haunt completely in favor of extra time at Hershey?

Can't go to Dorney on Monday, all three parks are closed. Otherwise, that would have been my choice too.

:lol: Wait, you had to pick between Knoebels and Dorney and you picked Dorney? Is this a joke?

Knoebels is the best park of the 3, the best park in Pennsylvania and possibly the best park in America. Screw Dorney

I know Knobels is pretty well regarded overall, but I don't see (from my outsider's perspective) what would put it definitively above the rest. Its coaster lineup seems more geared toward family rides and there appears to be zero live entertainment in October (according to their website). Dorney's entertainment is there but kind of sparse, appears to be mostly happening during Haunt.

Can you swap Saturday and Sunday? Like do Hershey and whatever else Sunday, and do Dorney (and Knoebels) on Saturday? The reason I say that is because the highest chance of it being busy @ Hershey is Saturday. Sunday should be quieter. If you could care less about the Haunt stuff @ Dorney, you could go there Saturday morning, hit everything every quickly because it will be a ghost town, and then head over to Knoebels Saturday night.

That said if you're looking specifically for Haunt stuff I'd say go to Dorney @ night. Its a good Halloween event and maybe the best Halloween event in the area save for maybe Kennywood (never been but heard good things). Best to use Saturday for Dorney since lines never get terrible.

Note that Hershey's event is strictly for kids. All of the rides are usually open. Maybe some flats due to staffing. It'll be mostly families and they decorate a little bit, but there's no actors, scare zones, trails, mazes etc. There is one trick-or-treat trail for little kids in costume. The best strategy for hitting Hersheys coasters is always hit Laff Trakk and Fahrenheit (low capacity, long lines) first, and then work your way clockwise around the park - Lightning Racer, Wild mouse/Wildcat, Storm Runner, etc etc. Save Skyrush for later when the park empties out and marathon it. Fun fact: the flume is now open for this event. Its a great flume with an airtime pop at the bottom of the big drop. Ride it. All of the coasters at this park range from good to exceptional. If you have to skip anything skip Sidewinder and Wildcat. Ride everything else. I love Hershey especially this time of year.

Dorney the lines for rides are never bad with waits even on busy Haunt Saturdays so if there are certain trails/mazes you want to hit, head there first and then hit the coasters as you go or after you're done w/ the scare stuff. I love Dorney's Haunt.

Eastern State Penn is cool but its been years since I've been through it. Can't comment on Knoebels or Pennhurst. Though I would think you could do both Pennhurst and ESP on the same night (Friday) depending on when you get in. You could head to Philly from the airport and then up to Pennhurst and northward to a hotel. Knoebels/Dorney Saturday and Hershey all day Sunday?

Centrailia is supposed to be crazy. Pennsylvania is wonderful to drive through in October, you're in for a treat.

Edited by boldikus

:lol: Wait, you had to pick between Knoebels and Dorney and you picked Dorney? Is this a joke?

Knoebels is the best park of the 3, the best park in Pennsylvania and possibly the best park in America. Screw Dorney

I know Knobels is pretty well regarded overall, but I don't see (from my outsider's perspective) what would put it definitively above the rest. Its coaster lineup seems more geared toward family rides and there appears to be zero live entertainment in October (according to their website). Dorney's entertainment is there but kind of sparse, appears to be mostly happening during Haunt.

Even if we were just talking coasters, Knoebels would be better. Phoenix and Twister are both infinitely better than anything in Dorney's lineup. Once you throw in the best flat ride collection in America and the amazing food it's a no-brainer.

^ LOL! But what does Knoebels do for Halloween? We know Knoebels is the best ever, but it seems the OP is focused on Halloween events.

(Bill is gonna try to sell you on Knoebels. He's definitely on their payroll).

I'm not sure how to word a response, simple text sorta answers can't cover Knoebels, but..

No, nonono. You're saying that because you haven't been on them. Knoebels' coaster lineup is two of the best wooden coasters in the country, then another that's one of the most unique, then a solid steel coaster as a bonus...IMO two of the top 5; top 3 given that Boulderdash has painfully disqualified itself this year. Phoenix and Twister are just too good to really rank, so...

Just make Knoebels a priority. No objective measure or simple explanation is going to be good enough. I've been to every park in PA. I'm one of the few genuine fans of Dorney, even! I actually like that park, I think it's underrated! But Knoebels is the best by far, by MILES. If you're going to PA...

It's not about family rides or thrill rides or any easy to place category. It's Knoebels. You really just have to go, to experience it, to get it. There's a reason we're all telling you this. Look at every trip report of the park here. Look at any report ANYWHERE. I get it, you don't know what would put it above the rest...because you haven't been there...but you can fix that, and then you'll understand!

I know a guy who's been to Centralia, and he said there's not much to actually see there. I totally get why it's so cool; in fact, my username comes from a lifelong fascination with this sort of place (Ytterby, Sweden, is a highly toxic place that has all kinds of radioactive sh*t--look up the Wikipedia, it's really cool). I thought about going to Centralia myself on my recent trip, and nixed it just because he said you can't get very close and it just looks a lot like Pennsylvania farmland. I'd recommend you drop that one, as it's most likely to be disappointing.

I'd also echo others in encouraging you to choose a day other than Saturday for Hershey. It'd be great if you had more than 2 full days, but with that time, I'd do Knoebels Saturday, Hershey Sunday, and Mutter Museum back in Philly Monday morning before you fly out.

We've been to Centralia, it was sort of cool but not amazing. If you want to do Centralia that's another reason to do Knoebels though since it's basically right there. Knoebels generally opens at noon so go to Centralia in the morning. Centralia is cool if you're in the area, it's not worth going out of the way for. Luckily, Knoebels is in the area.

I guess I should point out that since our visit, PennDot has apparently started cracking down on people walking the Graffiti Highway. Back when we did it nobody cared and there were no signs trying to dissuade you from walking on it.

Weighing in on haunts -

Honestly, Eastern State isn't anything special. It's cool that it's located in the crumbing prison but the actors are generally lazy and sweet jesus the lines are absurd. If your first night is at a hotel by Hershey FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GO TO FIELD OF SCREAMS INSTEAD!!!!!!!! Field Of Screams is just outside of Lancaster and it's probably the best haunt event in PA. Seriously, go. Their hayride alone is worth the trip.

Pennhurst is pretty damn awesome, so no worries there. Just make sure you don't blow through the haunts too quickly. The price they charge is a bit high for what's offered so take your time.

Preview Plan

8 PM closing

Admission

10 PM & 11 PM closing

Admission

So, skip one Haunt completely in favor of extra time at Hershey?

Don't do that. There is the possibility that the preview plan will not be active during Hersheypark in the Dark. I was looking up stuff earlier this week about the preview plan and the Sweet Start (morning ERT), and found this:

*With Hersheypark Sweet Start, you can start your day before the gates officially open with up to one-hour early admittance on select rides in Founder's Way, The Hollow, and NEW in 2017, Kissing Tower Hill. Available for guests of The Official Resorts of Hersheypark on May 6-7, 13-14, 20-21, May 27 through September 4, 9-10, 16-17, 23-24, 2017. Sweet Start is not available for Springtime In The Park, Hersheypark In The Dark, or Hersheypark Christmas Candylane.

**With Hersheypark Preview Plan, you can get a head start on thrills with access to Hersheypark the night before your planned visit for a fun-filled evening. Present your tickets at the main entrance at least 3 ½ hours before closing. Effective Memorial Day - Labor Day.

Or, at the very least, call the park to confirm they will honor those tickets if you're interested in spending a couple more hours there.

That's exactly why you don't see what would put it above the rest. On paper, it's underwhelming. It's a mom-and-pop amusement park in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania, with gravel pathways, no "big" coasters like Intamins or B&Ms, and no major haunt attractions.

AND YET... It has (in my opinion) the best roller coaster in the entire world, a modern interpretation of a legendary wooden coaster, a reproduction of a coaster lost to time, a wacky and fun looping coaster right in front of the park, one of the best classic dark rides in the world, a selection of flat rides that would put many other parks in the mid-Atlantic to shame (including Dorney Park), above-average food (Bill, show him your Pierogies map), and a comfortable, relaxing atmosphere that will let you actually enjoy your day. Do what you want, use your free entry, but respectfully, you're missing out.

Not to mention that Knoebels is literally only a fifteen-mile drive from Centralia.

I'll jump on the Knoebels bandwagon as well. While I haven't been to the Knoebels haunt, I can comment on the coasters. Knoebels has, by far, the superior coaster collection. Heck, Phoenix alone beats all the Dorney coasters combined. That airtime with the buzz bars, it's practically a stand up coaster. Dorney's coasters, on the other hand, are very underwhelming. I was ready to go home after 90 minutes there, and this is coming from someone who loves to marathon rides (it was a walk-on day, as they all seem to be). Do yourself a favor, don't pass up Knoebels.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone! Seems like Knobels is a major can't-miss. Okay, so a few more questions now with new info....

I had originally picked Saturday for Hershey because I figured it would have the most stuff to see (rides and also shows), so I wanted to give it the longest day (12 hrs). But, would it be ultimately better to go on Sunday instead and have a shorter, but possibly less crowded day? They don't appear to be offering Fast Track at all in October, and I would want to leave early on my Hershey day to make it to Field of Screams.

Two possible new itineraries.... I'm leaning toward #1 because includes a Haunt every night, but I don't know if it's too busy to be realistic and enjoyable. Also, which Haunt is better... Eastern State Penn, or Dorney?

Friday Night - Dorney Haunt with Fright & Fast Lane. Open for 6 hours, will probably be there for only 5. Focus on mazes, but also try to hit a couple of the big coasters (Hydra, Talon, Steel Force).

Saturday - Herhsey for 9-10 hours, then Field of Screams.

Sunday - Centralia (if I'm not exhausted), then Knobels for 5 hours, then Pennhurst Asylum.

Monday - Sleep in (or Centralia), quick sightseeing in Philly, Home.

Friday Night - Eastern State Penn and Pennhurst Haunts

Saturday - Dorney for 4 hours, then drive to Knobels for 4 hours there

Sunday - Hershey for 7-ish hours, then Field of Screams.

Monday - Centralia in the morning, then head back to Philly to go home

Thanks again SO MUCH for everyone's advice on this. I'm super stoked for this trip.

I like #1, moving Dorney to Friday feels like a good move to me. You are right that Hershey has the most stuff to do. It's an incredible park; it's just that Knoebels is even more incredible. You'll understand once you go.

I wouldn't worry about the Fast Track, it sucks anyway. You may have to be okay with not doing everything, but with an extra couple of hours you may have a better chance there. Laff Track, Wild Mouse, Sidewinder, and Trailblazer are all skippable.

I think your main problem is that you want to do way too much stuff for the time you have. It seems all of these are must-do items for you, which is cool, it just means you'll probably have to leave everywhere before you want to. As long as you're okay with that, should be fun.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone! Seems like Knobels is a major can't-miss. Okay, so a few more questions now with new info....

I had originally picked Saturday for Hershey because I figured it would have the most stuff to see (rides and also shows), so I wanted to give it the longest day (12 hrs). But, would it be ultimately better to go on Sunday instead and have a shorter, but possibly less crowded day? They don't appear to be offering Fast Track at all in October, and I would want to leave early on my Hershey day to make it to Field of Screams.

Two possible new itineraries.... I'm leaning toward #1 because includes a Haunt every night, but I don't know if it's too busy to be realistic and enjoyable. Also, which Haunt is better... Eastern State Penn, or Dorney?

Friday Night - Dorney Haunt with Fright & Fast Lane. Open for 6 hours, will probably be there for only 5. Focus on mazes, but also try to hit a couple of the big coasters (Hydra, Talon, Steel Force).

Saturday - Herhsey for 9-10 hours, then Field of Screams.

Sunday - Centralia (if I'm not exhausted), then Knobels for 5 hours, then Pennhurst Asylum.

Monday - Sleep in (or Centralia), quick sightseeing in Philly, Home.

Friday Night - Eastern State Penn and Pennhurst Haunts

Saturday - Dorney for 4 hours, then drive to Knobels for 4 hours there

Sunday - Hershey for 7-ish hours, then Field of Screams.

Monday - Centralia in the morning, then head back to Philly to go home

Thanks again SO MUCH for everyone's advice on this. I'm super stoked for this trip.

I'm not sure which I like better. With #2 you won't see any of the Haunt stuff unless you swap and do Knoebels in the morning and Dorney at night. You will not need Fast Lane for Dorney. Trust us. Even at night. The lines for coasters will be minimal, even on a busy Haunt night. Especially if you do get Fright Lane (which may come in handy since the crowds they do get are there for the trails/mazes) that frees up even more time for coasters. The only thing you may wait for is Steel Force but the longest that line gets is like 20-30 at most, and thats on a busy day/night. If you arrive right at sundown and the gate is busy absolutely skip Talon and hit it on the way out. That's the only time I've seen it busy (when Haunt starts or when waterpark closes since its right by the gate).

Hershey Fast Track is an absolute joke but if you go on a Sunday you won't need it anyway. As long as you follow the advice of hitting Laff Trakk and Fahrenheit first you can knock out the rest of Hershey no problem.

If you go to Hershey on a Saturday you may never want to go back, it can be a very crowded park. Also watch the weather, if it's the nicest for 2-3 weekends it will be mobbed, but if it's the first cold snap that's great. If you're willing to splurge for Fright and Fast Lane then Dorney on Sat. night although probably could do the whole park on Friday night without them. I'd stay after dark at Hershey on Sunday over a haunted house but maybe can still do both. If you can get Dorney's haunt in, cut at least one standalone unless that's your thing. Your schedule's so intense I wouldn't be surprised if you had to cut something out on the fly. I understand the original plan to skip Knoebel's simply because needing to cut something but you are right there. I haven't been and I do wonder if it's my style of thing, which is usually marathon coasters, don't even look at flats and starve myself -- or maybe that just means I need it. It doesn't sound like the kind of place you want to be in a hurry, although if you do it that way it won't take very long.

I like plan 2 but don't waste 4 hours at Dorney. Knoebels is open from 2 to 10, Dorney opens at 11. The parks are about 90 minutes apart. Just get to Dorney at 11 and try to be out of there in 90 minutes so you can get to Knoebels at 2. If you don't quite hit that goal it's not the end of the world but Dorney sucks hard and any time you waste at Dorney when you could have been at Knoebels is time you'll wish you had back later.

When you get to Dorney, ride the Wild Mouse first. It's the only coaster that'll ever get a line. Then no strategy is really required. I'd probably go to the back of the park first and ride the coasters as I came to them, so after the mouse hit Stinger, Posessed, Steel Force (sit in the front... that way the ride experience feels more like you're riding a coaster and less like you're sitting on your recliner at home taking a nap), Thunderhawk, Demon Drop, Thunder Creek Mountain if it's open (but it probably won't be), Hydra and Talon. Then leave and go to a good park ASAP.

The only non coaster rides at Dorney that are worth riding are Demon Drop and Thunder Creek Mountain (which again, will probably be closed for the season). If you see a flat ride that you like just know that Knoebels will have an infinitely better version of it. SeaDragon is the lone exception but honestly who cares?

Oh... and go to Knoebels on an empty stomach. Don't do something stupid like stop at a gas station between parks so you don't have to buy food at the park. This is the one time where you WANT to buy food at the park. It's not expensive and it's amazing. Don't eat a meal at Knoebels, just keep stuffing your face throughout the day. I highly recommend the cookies from the place that looks like a huge loaf of bread, the ice cream waffles and baked potatoes stuffed with pulled pork near the creek across from the Paratrooper, Cesari's pizza (near the Paratrooper) and of course... the Pierogies. And on that note...

Bill, show him your Pierogies map

I'm on it!

Other places in the park will have Pierogies. They're good, but don't buy them. These are the Pierogies you want. In addition to the coasters, don't miss the world's best bumper cars, world's best flyers, world's best carousel (sit on an outside horse so you can grab the rings) or the insane drop tower. Ride the chairlift too, rumor has it that from the top on a clear day you can see Lake Compounce. Make sure you point and laugh.

PS: They haunt the car ride at night. The line will be stupid long but the ride is very good.

Edited by coasterbill

I'm not sure which I like better. With #2 you won't see any of the Haunt stuff unless you swap and do Knoebels in the morning and Dorney at night. You will not need Fast Lane for Dorney. Trust us. Even at night. The lines for coasters will be minimal, even on a busy Haunt night. Especially if you do get Fright Lane (which may come in handy since the crowds they do get are there for the trails/mazes) that frees up even more time for coasters. The only thing you may wait for is Steel Force but the longest that line gets is like 20-30 at most, and thats on a busy day/night. If you arrive right at sundown and the gate is busy absolutely skip Talon and hit it on the way out. That's the only time I've seen it busy (when Haunt starts or when waterpark closes since its right by the gate).

Hershey Fast Track is an absolute joke but if you go on a Sunday you won't need it anyway. As long as you follow the advice of hitting Laff Trakk and Fahrenheit first you can knock out the rest of Hershey no problem.

Knobels' Saturday hours really threw a wrench in my options because it doesn't open until 2:00, so it has to be an afternoon/evening visit... but then I sacrifice doing a Halloween thing that day because it's so far away from everything else. Can I just call and ask them to open at 11 instead? Lol

I did some thinking and decided that I want Halloween to be the deciding factor of the trip, not coasters. I may not get to experience each park fully, but I'll get the highlights and then head on to my Halloween adventures.

I think the best situation is....

Fri - Dorney Haunt with whatever rides I can squeeze in

Sat - Knobels for about 5 hours, and then Pennhurst. Waste the whole first part of the day unfortunately, but I'll get to rest after my long day on Fri.

Sun - Herhsey and then Field of Screams