TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Chimelong Water Park announced Wiegand Slide Wheel.

Anyone remember the weird ass Wiegand Slide Wheel announced at IAAPA last year?

449598050_Slidewheel3.thumb.jpg.700ed851a1af40f85e2222b396ac2ef6.jpg

1200809383_Slidewheel.png.19964f47c5ae6be8cade15b23e0884f1.png

Well it turns out Chimelong water park in Guangzhou China just announced one for 2018.

Slidewheel4.thumb.JPG.a9c47dd5bd44ec54f3befe32478e2080.JPG

If you missed it at IAAPA this thing works weirdly. You get in a tube in the middle and the wheel slowly rotates changing the direction of down all the time so you keep sliding round and round.

I cannot wait to see how this works in real life. Especially how it lines up with the pool at the end?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wowie this looks... quite something ...sort of a wonder wheel with water.

I can't work out whether it will be brilliant or terrible, but it's a great idea and I quite like the fact that inside the tube you'll not really have any point of reference so you won't really know when you'll stop, when you'll start going backwards and when you'll start going forwards again.

WAIT!!! Hold up... This thing is actually getting built?! I don't know if I should be excited, or terrified!!! It sure looks like a cool concept... But that is so massive, and so... Unique. I can't wait to watch the construction of this thing develop.

It really looks like someone took my Perplexus Epic:

517%2Bq16SblL.jpg

And turned it into a waterslide.

Whoa, glad to see this is going to be a reality! It looks crazier to me from the outside than on the POV, where I wonder how thrilling the frequent back-and-forth stalling and incremental progress will actually be, but this is nevertheless one of the coolest and imaginative ride concepts I've ever seen. What an idea!

Interesting concept. My question is, what happens when the wheel stops? Whether it be a motor issue or power outage. Are there trap doors to get people out like they have for aqua loops? If so it looks like a high reach or fire truck would be needed since you can't add platforms to a spinning slide. From an operational viewpoint that could be a nightmare since you cant really walk the through. I would also hope it the wheel stops the water is turned off to prevent the tubes from filling with water.

There are just so many "What if's" with this project. I mean, yes, I get that developers, and designers think of these things when they are developing new technology like this. . . I'm just over here like... "Yeah, Not sure if I would ride this... I'm a bit claustrophobic and my un-realistic fear of getting trapped in that thing would be so overwhelming I wouldn't be able to enjoy the slide."

Um......this ride would have been PERFECT for the old Action Park in New Jersey. (The park probably would've put it in the kiddie section.)

I doubt I'd ride this unless maybe it was translucent. Bless those ride engineers - always trying to build a better mousetrap!

Alice

It would be smart if they were to build in emergency escape hatches to easily remove people if it breaks down. Putting something like 6 of them would seems like a good cover-all for the different sections and orientations that you could stop in.

But to reiterate what Chuck said:

It looks like it could be either amazing or irritating and pointless. I imagine I'd give it a shot.

This could end up being a really dumb ride in the end.

Visually, it looks incredible, but based off that POV, the ride experience looks incredibly boring.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but what keeps the water flowing through the ride? Wouldn't it build up in the bottom corners of the slide?

Also, this may be a stupid question, but what keeps the water flowing through the ride? Wouldn't it build up in the bottom corners of the slide?

The constant movement and changes in direction will keep the water flowing through the slide. Since the bottom corners are always moving it will keep the water from building up there.

From my watching the simulation, it moves so slow, I could get bored with this.

You slip into the first part of it; back and forth, back and forth; then you move into the next section....

And on and on and on and on. So....yeah. I'm sure they'll be screaming all over it, when it opens.

EDIT: World's Boring-est Water Slide.

I imagine if someone falls off the raft, they would just have to float along next to the raft to get off the ride.

Yeah, I think this is a really cool concept, but i doubt I'd ride it due to the combination of claustrophobia and nausea from going back and forth. It just doesn't look enjoyable to me.

• 2 weeks later...