larrygator's 2017 Coaster Affirmation Tour

Donley's Wild West Town
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: larrygator's 2017 Coaster Affirmation Tour

Postby larrygator » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:23 pm

July 27th, 2017 - a return trip to Indiana Beach.

Let me start off by saying that Indiana Beach used to be one of my favorite parks. Years ago it felt like Knoebels lite. My last trip was back in 2011 (I think) and by that time it had started to slip since the park was purchased by Morgan RV in 2009. The life just seemed to be sucked out of the park. The vibe just wasn't right and small problems seemed to grow into larger issues. But my main concern in 2017 was, how are the wooden coasters running. Cornball Express still runs well, but could use more TLC, I think my rides were also hindered by being in a near empty train. The coaster felt like it wanted to breakout, but just couldn't. Hoosier Hurricane is still a fun ride as it intermingles along the inner pier with Cornball Express. Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain is as strange as ever. Only know there is only one car (when the coaster operates) making lines insane on summer weekends. Luckily my visit was on a Thursday and I only had to wait for one train. When I returned later for a second ride, Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain was already down for the day. Maybe 50-60 lucky riders the whole day. I enjoy Tig'rr Coaster more than usual. The crown jewel of the park is still Frankenstein's Castle. However, maybe my memory is failing me. Did there used to be a room, with multiple doors, where only one door was an actual exit?

Overall the park (even with few visitors) seemed more vibrant than my last visit. The only big disappointment was made of the video games I used to play in their arcade were gone. However, the tacos at Indiana Beach are still huge and filling.
20170727_133037.jpg
This would be my first time entering from the south entrance over the suspension bridge.
20170727_133042.jpg
Such a beautiful view
20170727_133729.jpg
My first stop would be Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain.
20170727_133758.jpg
Oh good, only a 30 minute wait
20170727_134639.jpg
How can you make a scrambler more fun? Put it on a pier
20170727_134615.jpg
How can you make a Paratrooper more fun. Put it on a pier.
20170727_141150.jpg
How can you make flying scooters more fun. Well you get the idea.
20170727_134645.jpg
This is a carnival ride...see the wires.
20170727_135018.jpg
A nice pop of air at the top.
20170727_134751.jpg
I did not play, even though only a couple of older people were playing I'm sure they would have kicked my A55.
20170727_141720.jpg
The first El Loco in the US
20170727_140653.jpg
Where is the ride operator when you NEED her.
20170727_142251.jpg
Tig'rr Coaster impressed me this time around
20170727_135757.jpg
My favorite flat in the park.
20170727_142307.jpg
Cornball waiting for riders
20170727_134714.jpg
Not in tip top shape, but I'm glad they still have a shooting dark ride.
20170727_150021.jpg
Worth the upcharge
20170727_152442.jpg
The only place to eat in the park
20170727_152453.jpg
Nothing fancy, but damn tasty.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Did there used to be a room, with multiple doors, where only one door was an actual exit?

Absolutely, positively. Very disappointing if that's gone; one of the highlights of a top-quality haunted house.

I love this park in theory, and more-or-less in practice (visited in 2010 and 2014), but reading about the declines and negative changes is always disheartening. I hope things (continue to?) get better.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby CaptainUnknown » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 pm

cal1br3tto wrote:
Did there used to be a room, with multiple doors, where only one door was an actual exit?

Absolutely, positively. Very disappointing if that's gone; one of the highlights of a top-quality haunted house.

As a haunter who has worked this style of room before, I take this as a personal offense if true.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Great report! Cornball was running very well on Memorial Day weekend as it made it into my top 5 over woodies like Shivering Timbers, Ravine Flyer II, etc. Every drop gave really powerful ejector air, especially considering there's just a buzz bar. My only issue with the coaster was the uptime. It ran for a total of 30 minutes while I was there so I could only get 2 rides.

If the park could improve their operations, they have everything to be a top park. And also that Lost Coaster line did in fact stink on a Saturday night, especially since half the other coasters were closed.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:02 am

I hope the yo-yo is still running that unnerving cycle over the water!

Cornball remains very bright in my memory, but it has been 3+ years since I've been. Really hoping it stays in great shape because that ride can be wild! Also glad to see the double shot working as that was never open when I visited.
Chi life, live music, coasters, and traveling the world.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:48 am

This is one of the sadder stories in recent US Amusement Park History. Like you said, this park used to be compared to Knoebels and now it just feels like it's struggling in so many different ways. There is still so much potential, but I believe we are now past the chance of really bringing it back to it's former glory.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Imagineer Josh » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Great report! Wow, you literally went there 9 days before I did. Weird!

Anyways, I gotta agree. When I went on August 5th for an enthusiast event, Cornball only made my Top 10 because of some great ERT. Also, at about 3:00 PM, it definitely felt its fastest all day, so it depends when you ride. Hoosier Hurricane was good too, but yeah, it's just a fine ride. I can't agree more about Lost Coaster - that short of a line would probably be about 20-30 minutes. And to think I waited in a full queue to get the credit...

Yeah, it's overall just a decent park. The operations aren't that good, it's always super busy, and with the exception of the coasters and tacos, it was kinda a disappointment. Still worth a day trip though! Again, great report.
Coaster Count - 127
Top 10 Coasters: 1. Voyage - 2. Lightning Rod - 3. X2 - 4. Storm Chaser - 5. Maverick - 6. Twisted Colossus - 7. Goliath (SFGAm) - 8. Millennium Force - 9. Cornball Express - 10. Magnum XL-200
Top 5 Parks: 1. Dollywood - 2. Holiday World - 3. Cedar Point - 4. Universal's Islands of Adventure - 5. Six Flags Magic Mountain

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:28 pm

The multi-door room was still in the haunted house when I visited last year, but it was extremely dark in there (to the point where I had to use my phone's flashlight to see). I'd be surprised if they'd removed that room as it seems like it was a pretty big stunt, but I wonder if perhaps they feed people through it faster now to prevent traffic jams?

Postby prozach626 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:17 pm

Nice reports, Larry. I really hope Indiana Beach makes a turn for the better. I had heard that this year was an improvement over the past few years. The Indiana Beach is only 4-5 hours away, but I've never made the trip. I've thought about it in the past, but with other parks like KI, SFGam, HW, WoF, and SDC in that same 4-5 hour radius, it makes it much more tempting to choose to go elsewhere.

I believe the park is having an upcoming Octoberfest event, which sounded interesting. Does the park sell beer on a daily basis?

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:31 pm

prozach626 wrote:Nice reports, Larry. I really hope Indiana Beach makes a turn for the better. I had heard that this year was an improvement over the past few years. The Indiana Beach is only 4-5 hours away, but I've never made the trip. I've thought about it in the past, but with other parks like KI, SFGam, HW, WoF, and SDC in that same 4-5 hour radius, it makes it much more tempting to choose to go elsewhere.

I believe the park is having an upcoming Octoberfest event, which sounded interesting. Does the park sell beer on a daily basis?

I definitely saw a stand alone beer stand and I just confirmed it on their website. http://www.indianabeach.com/parkinfo
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!