Oak's Amusement Park New Coaster for 2018

A Gerstlauer Eurofighter is Coming to Portland, Oregon!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Re: Oak's Amusement Park New Coaster for 2018

Postby nynehalem » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:08 pm

I agree that the lack of transit is a problem- especially since more than half of the parks 44 acres is devoted to parking lots

There is a heritage train that leaves from OMSI and goes directly to Oaks park, but only on saturdays (and for $10)
http://www.portlandtrainrides.com/

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:Thanks for reminding me about the train, Andrew. But I still have stuff in town that can't be re-scheduled, etc.
So that weekend is still a no-go. :sad:

Yeah, I remembered you had enjoyed the train to WCB. Eh, you'll get to this eventually. It's not likely to go anywhere soon. Those Eurofighters are a lot of fun.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:....It's not likely to go anywhere soon.

Just remembered.

Aren't we (The West Coast) way overdue for an earthquake... or something like that?

;)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby mark549 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:15 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:....It's not likely to go anywhere soon.

Just remembered.

Aren't we (The West Coast) way overdue for an earthquake... or something like that?

;)

"Cascadia Subduction Zone"

the roller coaster will likely still be standing afterwards, although some of the bridges the Amtrak train uses might not be functional afterwards

the road bridge next to Oaks Park was just replaced, since it was clearly insufficiently strong to withstand seismic shocks

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:18 pm

^ Noted, thanks. ;)

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby mark549 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:04 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:That event looks pretty cool. I'm impressed.

Bill, there's always Amtrak. March 23-25 is $115 round trip VAC-PDX. No idea how easy Oaks is to get to on public transit, since I've never been to Portland. Google transit's giving some circuitous routes that involve over a mile of walking, so I'm inclined to think not easy. Fortunately, Uber exists.

trimet.org offers several easy options between Union Station (Amtrak) and Oaks Park.

Most of the bus options involve walking about a kilometer, either from 17th Street on the east side, or across the new bridge across the Willamette River (scenic). The 17th St option passes numerous coffeehouses, restaurants and New Seasons, a chain of local grocery stores with awesome natural (and unnatural) food. I like to eat like that AFTER riding, or at least get something as a picnic (Oaks has scenic spots along the river).

The fanciest public transit trip is to take the Orange (Milwaukie) line from Union Station to SE Tacoma stop. It's maybe a mile and a half, but it's a pleasant walk (past the coffeehouses, too) along Tacoma Street, which is two lanes. No transfers required.

http://trimet.org/#planner/results/from=UNION+STATION+AMTRAK+DEPOT%3A%3A45.528405%2C-122.676623&to=SE+Oaks+Park+Way+%26+SE+Spokane+St%2C+Portland%3A%3A45.465042%2C-122.661934&mode=RAIL%2CTRAM%2CSUBWAY%2CFUNICULAR%2CGONDOLA%2CWALK&hour=9&minute=11&ampm=am&month=3&day=24&walk=3219&optimize=QUICK&arr=D

Bus options (35 route or 19 route - 35 involves walking on the bridge across the river, 19 involves a little longer walk, past the restaurants)

http://trimet.org/#/planner/results/itin_num=1&from=UNION%20STATION%20AMTRAK%20DEPOT::45.528405,-122.676623&to=SE%20Oaks%20Park%20Way%20%26%20SE%20Spokane%20St,%20Portland::45.465042,-122.661934&Hour=9&Minute=11&AmPm=am&month=3&day=24&year=2018&Walk=3219&Arr=D&min=TRANSFERS&mode=TRANSIT,WALK

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Awesome info, thanks! I knew I could count on a native Portlandian for transit directions. Noted for when I eventually get out there.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 pm

All right, guys, tickets are now on sale!

And yup, I snagged mine...whew. 8-) The ordering process was a tad awkward 'cuz they just modified the one they use for birthday parties, but it's legit.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:36 am

^ YAYAAYAYAY awesome for you! :airtimer: :airtime:

Looking forward to your (eventual) TR! :wink:

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:05 pm

POV (kinda)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!