TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ohio State Fair accident

There was an accidental tonight at the Ohio State Fair in which 1 person died and 6 were injured. There is actually a video of the ride breaking apart. It is EXTREMELY GRAPHIC and shows the accident. I will post the link but won't embed so people can choose to look at it without playing automatically. Complete sadness for all involved.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ohio-state-fair-ride-malfunction_us_59793d21e4b02a8434b3d691

WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK:

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like it hits something - the side gate maybe? I don't know if its just the video but its seems there is a crash/crunching metal sound before you see the seats come off.

Horrific looking accident.

I'm guessing on the downswing the carriage holding the car on the arm gave out and the crushing sound you hear is the car hitting the fence on the side of the ride. From the reports I've read, the car actually fell on someone killing them, all others were injured to some degree.

Yes that video is indeed very graphic. Looks like it's due to metal fatigue?

Yeah, my first thought seeing it was that it was torn off but I've watched it enough now to come to that conclusion. The seating falls off, the restraints pop off immediately, and they land on the people seated across from them before momentum just carries them through the air to....

Lousy way to go. I feel bad for those families.

To the mods, if this post is inappropriate then please delete it. I was very careful not to show anything graphic. If it violates any rules it was honestly unintentional.

If you slow down the You Tube video to 0.25,

, you can see that an entire seat section comes off its arm mount. I posted a screenshot below of the video at the 0:04 seconds mark (this is not the graphic part). Slowing down the video also made it a little blurry so you can't see any gory details.

You can see the mount for the seat section (red circle) and the seat section itself (yellow circle). Just one second before this and one second after are the really graphic parts and I was really careful not to get that part. You can see one person falling, from the separated seat section, then striking the seat section opposite, at which point another person falls from the ride. I assume that the force of what appears to be a 200 pound man striking the other seat section broke the restraint of the other person.

It also appears that it was indeed the leading side of the pendulum that came off so maybe it did hit something. But that part is obscured in the video.

Here is the screenshot

1037999127_Screenshot(87).thumb.png.40455fa9c8fb859e9b3dc6aa6e9ba9f2.png

Just watched a live feed of a press conference from the governor of Ohio, John Kasich and this is what i jotted down from it:

-1 Dead, 7 injured. Information on the victims have not been released yet. 1 is in surgery, 2 are at a childrens hospital and 3 are in surgery.

-Mr. Kasich has ordered that all rides be shut down and inspected before re-opening

-Inspection side: 11 rides did not open at 10 A.M. wit the fair toady, however about 5 did after passing inspection. 4 may not open at all.

-THE RIDE THAT WAS IN THE ACCIDENT WAS INSPECTED MULTIPLE TIMES AND WAS SIGNED OFF TODAY.

Q&A was held: (inspector of amusement rides/part of the state of agriculture answers questions)

-Fair will be open tomorrow however rides will be shut down until passing inspection (per Mr. Kasich's orders)

- Ride inspection in stages:

1. Inspected on trucks the ride came in on

2. Inspected when the ride is 1/2 way built

3. Inspected when fully built

4.Inspected while sending test cycles

-There are 4300 pieces of equipment (Go-kart tracks, amusement rides etc.) that are inspected every year.

-Ride featured in incident was assembled from multiple trucks, and part of the inspection was that the ride is on level land. No red flags arose while inspecting the ride.

-Each ride goes through a pass/fail test. The ride in the accident passed inspection.

-Metal fatigue is possible.

-SUPPOSEDLY: The worker assigned to that ride went to fix something on the ride before the accident occurred. Some people said that he climbed up to tighten something, whether or not it was on an arm, seat or center of the ride is not known.

-MR. KASSICH'S MESSAGE TO PEOPLE ATTENDING THE FAIR AND HAVE SEASON TICKETS/PASS: " It appears everything went as planned inspection wise. People have to use their judgement before boarding a ride"

Edited by drummermattk

This is the type of crap you expect from China, not in America. I blame the ever devolving society of the world into Idiocracy for things like this. "Inspections" and "signed off" don't seem to mean anything anymore if the person inspecting and signing off is as smart as this "lawyer" from what is destined to be our future:

j0fcer.jpg.ca086650e8d163002424d644763d42dc.jpg

Accidents like this shouldn't happen. There really is just no excuse for it.

Edited by robbalvey

From what i've heard, though others have not shared the video that shows it with me, the floor came up and the car that came undone hit the floor,,, then fell off of its arm. Though that it is not confirmed, I can't say if its true or not.

Yeah, I keep hear about some other mystical video also. Where is it? Find it hard to believe that so many people have supposedly seen this video, but it's nowhere online? Seems suspect.

-Inspection side: 11 rides did not open at 10 A.M. wit the fair toady, however about 5 did after passing inspection. 4 may not open at all.

-THE RIDE THAT WAS IN THE ACCIDENT WAS INSPECTED MULTIPLE TIMES AND WAS SIGNED OFF TODAY.

I don't want to cast aspersions on the official line, but this was the report from the Columbus Dispatch as of Monday;

Delayed by rain and flooding, amusement ride inspectors from the Ohio Department of Agriculture made up for lost time Monday to guarantee the safety of fairgoers at this year’s Ohio State Fair.

With the 12-day fair opening Wednesday, fairground workers scrambled to set up the final food trailers and rides for one of the nation’s largest fairs.

Inspectors were met with several rain delays and flash flood warnings when they showed up to the Ohio Expo Center last week.

Is it possible they cut corners in order to open the fair and the rides on time?

Also, if that was in fact Amusements of America's ride, they had the same one operating a few weeks back at the Meadowlands State Fair in New Jersey. Yeah... I'll be skipping that next time they come around.

Some of my freinds and I are thinking did that portion of the gondola hit something? It sounded like it hit thinner metal—like the the metal floor that raises up (similar to delirium and maxair)—and then break loose. It was a loud, hollow-sounding sheet metal bang, so i don't really know... it moves so fast.

So one thought was did the operator accidentally raise the floor while the ride was in motion or did some fencing come loose?

Once the arm broke off, it stays in air just long enough for the other side to kick it, so i wonder if that force broke the other restraints loose as you can see others falling from a higher height.

I have ridden that ride many times and it is one of my favorites. The ride is at least a 1999 and it has had no problems in the past. Matter of fact, it went through a long refurbishment about 8 years ago.

This is not something you see in this country.

Here is the video, keep the sound up to hear that lighter metal sound:

Edited by John Peck

No Mr Kassich ® Governor, State of Ohio, People go to the fair and expect a reasonable amount of safety, not, quote, " People have to use their judgement before boarding a ride " What a deflection, I just can't imagine how he justified that statement to, nor to the families of, and people on the ride. Truly Heartbroken and wish for the best for those affected.

I have no idea what the hell happened to cause something like a freaking seat on a frisbee like that just...fall off. I keep watching the video, all I see is the ride running normally, hear a CRASH!!! A seat just falls to the ground and people are flying in the air. I never once suspected that this could happen. What I do know is that this is not normal and something was seriously wrong with the ride. You inspected it today and signed off on it? You're fired because you clearly missed something and this should not have been signed off. There is no excuse for letting a ride go so much that apparently an entire seat can just fall off the ride.

From what i've heard, though others have not shared the video that shows it with me, the floor came up and the car that came undone hit the floor,,, then fell off of its arm. Though that it is not confirmed, I can't say if its true or not.

Yeah, I keep hear about some other mystical video also. Where is it? Find it hard to believe that so many people have supposedly seen this video, but it's nowhere online? Seems suspect.

I haven't seen it and I think people are just confused at what they're looking at. There's a video someone took that's about 5ish minutes long of the aftermath and that's actually a thousand times worse than the 5 second clip of the accident itself.

I haven't seen it and I think people are just confused at what they're looking at. There's a video someone took that's about 5ish minutes long of the aftermath and that's actually a thousand times worse than the 5 second clip of the accident itself.

Where is that one at?