Robb & Elissa in the USA - 2017!

Page 20 - St. Louis City Museum!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Re: Robb & Elissa in the USA - 2017!

Postby Garet » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:24 pm

SharkTums wrote:Really the only negative we ran into is cost. Most of the parks you have to buy a two day ticket and decide whether to buy one or two day 'fast pass' options.

I forgot to mention one of the reasons I brought this up is when I was looking into doing a Japan trip I found out USJ has a "1.5" ticket for this month, although I hope they expand it. If it's one when I have a break I would probably buy it. Go in from 3PM and then fast pass for the next full day. I normally wouldn't even think of entering USJ at all without fast-pass but figured if I do go for it, I could do some of the quieter single rider lines that evening.

I would love to see more parks with that kind of pass. I feel like there wouldn't be too much downside, it could boost numbers in the parks for quieter times and potentially make people who would otherwise leave and go home stay overnight nearby and bring more money into the area.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby super7 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Dollywood used to be one of the parks on the top of my list, but with the Lightning Rod fiasco (trying to build a coaster more complicated than it should have been just to advertise "first-ever," low-quality entertainment (at a park that bills themselves as a showpark), and various other quality issues that have went downhill in the last several years, I have headed to other parks this year...

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Samuel » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:16 pm

super7 wrote:Dollywood used to be one of the parks on the top of my list, but with the Lightning Rod fiasco (trying to build a coaster more complicated than it should have been just to advertise "first-ever," low-quality entertainment (at a park that bills themselves as a showpark), and various other quality issues that have went downhill in the last several years, I have headed to other parks this year...

You can do a heck of a lot worse than Dollywood, even if Lightning Rod isn't running all the time. There's nothing wrong with taking a year or several off from visiting a park, but I noticed that you seem to take a lot of swipes at different parks. Don't forget to have some fun once in a while, too!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:36 pm

Samuel wrote:
super7 wrote:Dollywood used to be one of the parks on the top of my list, but with the Lightning Rod fiasco (trying to build a coaster more complicated than it should have been just to advertise "first-ever," low-quality entertainment (at a park that bills themselves as a showpark), and various other quality issues that have went downhill in the last several years, I have headed to other parks this year...

You can do a heck of a lot worse than Dollywood, even if Lightning Rod isn't running all the time. There's nothing wrong with taking a year or several off from visiting a park, but I noticed that you seem to take a lot of swipes at different parks. Don't forget to have some fun once in a while, too!

Yeah, I gotta be honest, that's a pretty ignorant and stupid opinion for someone to have. I really hope they don't actually think this way and it's just a moment of dumbness on their part.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Location: Ether Houston across from the Astrodome or at SFSTL riding the Screamin' Eagle

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:06 pm

So any idea of when the trip report for SFSTL will be up? I'm curious to see how much fun you had at my local park! :)
Coaster Count: 96
1990's: "ugh. I hope we don't get a Vekoma"
2010: "I really hope we get a Vekoma!"

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:08 pm

SixFlagsAstroworld wrote:So any idea of when the trip report for SFSTL will be up? I'm curious to see how much fun you had at my local park! :)

Soon! We just got slammed with lots of stuff this week!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:04 am

Looking forward to that and your City Museum pics of us. :b I know announcement season has to be like the craziest time for you guys besides maybe IAPPA, so I've just been waiting patiently. I know it'll come eventually. (Compared to me who keeps putting off my early-July WDW/Carowinds/SFOG TR that I wanted to do and am now not sure if it'll ever happen. Off-season?)
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby super7 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:42 pm

I agree that Cedar Fair has improved King's Island from the great damage that Paramount did to the parks. Namely, their installations match the theming of the areas. The coasters they have installed have been good coasters, but they continue to neglect installing true family rides. At least Paramount didn't kill the train in this park......

But overall this park is pretty run down compared to King's Dominion. KI has the better rides, but KD is a gorgerous park full of trees and amazing landscaping. KI definitely isn't that. The International Street at KD is one of the most wonderful places in any theme park. Full of nice, shady places to sit and relax and interesting buildings. KI's is quite the opposite with those horrid white picnic tables in the blazing sun, right in the main walkways. The entire center of KI is a open field with little trees or shade. KI is really an ugly park. It could use some investment in landscaping and infrastructure, not to mention the restrooms that smell like urine.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:38 am

super7 wrote:But overall this park is pretty run down compared to King's Dominion. KI has the better rides, but KD is a gorgerous park full of trees and amazing landscaping. KI definitely isn't that. The International Street at KD is one of the most wonderful places in any theme park. Full of nice, shady places to sit and relax and interesting buildings. KI's is quite the opposite with those horrid white picnic tables in the blazing sun, right in the main walkways. The entire center of KI is a open field with little trees or shade. KI is really an ugly park. It could use some investment in landscaping and infrastructure, not to mention the restrooms that smell like urine.

While I agree that KD is the "prettier" park, I don't think KI is as bad as you described it. I still very much enjoyed both my 2014 and 2017 visit to the park. It has a great atmosphere. But when comparing to KD, it definitely feels more corporate.
Credits: 172
[Top 5] - (1) Skyrush - (2) Fury 325 - (3) Intimidator 305 - (4) El Toro - (5) Kingda Ka (front row)

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:59 am

I look at Kings Dominion as an "improved" version of Kings Island. I love KD's International Street over KI's because of the trees, the "parkitecture" and having a more majestic Royal Fountain running down the middle of it. I'm glad that Cedar Fair, best known for ripping down trees for the next big thing, hasn't touched the forest feel of the park (Well Paramount killed the Grizzly area when they built Hurler. Loved how secluded that ride was back in the day).

Before Diamondback and Mystic Timbers, heck even before Tomb Raider the Rivertown area was a much more shaded area but also lacked a lot attractions. It was basically Beast, the train, White Water Canyon and the two log flumes. A part of me sort of misses that as I've gotten older. Diamondback is/was a fantastic and much needed ride but it also took away some of the ambiance of the area when they created the wide open plaza in front of it.

But I will not argue the fact the Kings Island is a much better park now than it was under Paramount, even under Dick Kinzel's Cedar Fair. They at least took the pop music out of International Street and replaced it with instrumental music that fits the area better.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!