Robb & Elissa in the USA - 2017!

Page 20 - St. Louis City Museum!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Re: Robb & Elissa in the USA - 2017!

Postby Ape » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:34 pm

I have only got one ride on Lightning Rod. We were an hour and a half from the park on a family trip last year and we decided to make the drive to the park when we saw it was open. I rode 4 things that day. Stupid river battle with my son 2 times mystery mine one time and the ride on Lightning Rod.

I know it's been frustrating for the park and suitors but this ride absolutely gets a pass for me. It doesn't matter how long it takes to get it running right it's absolutely worth the wait. That one ride was worth the price of admission I paid for all of us and we left early from the 105 degree heat. I wouldn't change a thing. If you are someone who is frustrated with it just keep trying trust me it is worth the wait for this coaster.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby scubaski » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:46 pm

The ride staff at Lightning Rod is the only complaint I have about Dollywood. I had the same problem when I tried to ride it last November at the Smokey Mountain CF and probably the same guy. The restraint is so stiff it's almost impossible for some to swing it down fast enough to get it to lock which was my problem and being a big guys I could not get the leverage to pull it down enough and Al came over to me and placed his hand on it with very little pressure to see if it would lock and yes it did but he made the operator unlock it and told me I had to do it myself. Needless to say, I was asked to get off the ride. Safety is one thing but bullcrap is another.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:51 pm

scubaski wrote:The ride staff at Lightning Rod is the only complaint I have about Dollywood. I had the same problem when I tried to ride it last November at the Smokey Mountain CF and probably the same guy. The restraint is so stiff it's almost impossible for some to swing it down fast enough to get it to lock which was my problem and being a big guys I could not get the leverage to pull it down enough and Al came over to me and placed his hand on it with very little pressure to see if it would lock and yes it did but he made the operator unlock it and told me I had to do it myself. Needless to say, I was asked to get off the ride. Safety is one thing but bullcrap is another.

Wait. Did I read that correctly? The op came over to see if he could get it to lock, and he could, and then unlocked it and made you do it, and when you couldn't (because you don't work there and don't know as much about the ride as he does) you were told you couldn't ride???

That's TERRIBLE if that is actually what happened and totally inexcusable. I've been on all the RMC's now except Joker and I've never seen anything like this.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby bert425 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:01 pm

as usual, Dollywood looks AMAZE-BALLS.

love the report, and the pics, and vicariously thrilled y'all got to ride Lightning Rod!

some day soon, some day soon. . . . it will be there for me too :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:17 pm

Great report! Glad you guys were able to get on Lightning Rod after missing it last year. The review definitely affirms my decision to keep trying to get on it in the coming years even though I'm 0/3 so far.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Love the report! We were there on opening day this year and finally got on LR as well! I'm so pleased to hear your great esteem of it because we loved it too. Can't wait until we can visit again. :lover: Never did quite get a night ride on it, but that's the goal!

Also, I know I'm a HUGE SFDK fan and probably rank Joker higher than anyone else, but I'm excited to hear your opinions whenever you do get on it! It's not Lightning Rod but it's still a great ride. :airtimer:

Enjoy your trip.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Ewrawr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:14 pm

We're currently at Dollywood this week too and we had the exact same operations snafu. The only other RMC We had been on is storm chaser so we knew that the restraint system was touchy and at Kentucky Kingdom I'd always have to nudge it down a tiny bit for my gf. The moment I did that on Lightning Rod, a bitter woman screamed at me and made them reset the bars on the whole cart. Needless to say we were a little angry. She informed us that it was for my gf's safety but my gf said that the second time felt less snug than when I helped push it lol
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5c30b8fd2ea0f5594f897efb7e58574b.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5092a729c82d3986116b93c70f13362b.jpg[/img][/url]

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby The Geek Mojo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Great reports so far on two awesome parks which have two of the best coasters in the world. Absolutely love Fury and LR. Fury a little more, but both are easily top 5 coasters. Seems like a lot of us had the same experience with LR. Showed up disappointed last year, but got to ride this year. I do feel sorry for those that have come to Dollywood and missed LR because it was closed. It's such a great experience.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Djwadeknox » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:30 pm

robbalvey wrote:
scubaski wrote:The ride staff at Lightning Rod is the only complaint I have about Dollywood. I had the same problem when I tried to ride it last November at the Smokey Mountain CF and probably the same guy. The restraint is so stiff it's almost impossible for some to swing it down fast enough to get it to lock which was my problem and being a big guys I could not get the leverage to pull it down enough and Al came over to me and placed his hand on it with very little pressure to see if it would lock and yes it did but he made the operator unlock it and told me I had to do it myself. Needless to say, I was asked to get off the ride. Safety is one thing but bullcrap is another.

Wait. Did I read that correctly? The op came over to see if he could get it to lock, and he could, and then unlocked it and made you do it, and when you couldn't (because you don't work there and don't know as much about the ride as he does) you were told you couldn't ride???

That's TERRIBLE if that is actually what happened and totally inexcusable. I've been on all the RMC's now except Joker and I've never seen anything like this.

I have also seen them do the lock and then unlock thing before. Must be something RMC is requireing on these new trains that Dollywood got. Dollywood got the new restraint system. Here is what RMC says about them. The new cylinders feature 30 percent lower seal drag, meaning less force is required by park employees and guests to raise and lower RMC’s lap bar restraints. Each lap bar is fitted with two cylinders in the event that one of the cylinders fails.
Dollywood Rocks and I like turtles!

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby ABW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:50 pm

Glad to hear you made it on Lightning Rod! It's awesome that you've made it on pretty much all the RMC's (minus the yawn-fest that is Joker at SFDK)! That being said, what happened with the ride op situation, I agree, is inexcusable. I'm sorry to everyone affected by that, as it just sounds like superstitious idiocy in terms of policy. I'll be watching with interest at how the tour continues! Best wishes to all.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!