Robb & Elissa in the USA - 2017!

Page 20 - St. Louis City Museum!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Robb & Elissa in the USA - 2017!

Postby Full Effect Ed » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:07 pm

I wanna ride Lightning Rod :cry:

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby michaellynn4 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Glad you had a great time and loved Lightning Rod! Rikki and I were both very impressed with the park when we visited last year. That said...

robbalvey wrote:The only real constructive feedback I can give for the ride was in the operations department falling under the "ride rules" category. We had one of our riders who was RIGHT on the edge of not being able to to ride. The first time he rode, he was able to get the bar down and he fit just fine. The second time he rode, he was having more trouble so I went to push down on his bar to help just like I would on every other ride in the world, and this angry older ride op named "Al" came over and shouted at me "DO NOT TOUCH THAT BAR HE HAS TO DO IT ON HIS OWN IF YOU TOUCH THAT BAR AGAIN YOU ARE NOT RIDING THIS COASTER ANYMORE!!!!!"

I'm sorry what? Excuse me? This ride is already difficult enough for people to get on and you want to make it even HARDER for people? No, sorry, that's not cool with me. I cannot think of another ride anywhere in the world where you couldn't give the guy next to you literally a "nudge" on the bar to make it down that TINY extra to get the green light especially when the guy JUST RODE the coaster. The ride ops would NOT help anyone push the bar down on Lightning Rod, yet they had no problem pushing the bar down and helping on Thunderhead or Wild Eagle. This needs to be fixed, IMO.

I 100% agree with you. I, too, was one of those "on the edge" riders who, on my first three rides on Lightning Rod, managed to get the lap bar down by myself without issue. However, the fourth ride, I was having an issue getting the bar down enough for the sensors, and the ride ops just look at you as you struggle to push it down yourself. I was even scolded when I whacked it once with a closed fist in order for it to budge more, getting told I could only push with open palms.

Fortunately, I got it to go down that extra bit on my own, but it annoyed me. As you said, Robb, I can't think of another park anywhere that has this rule for any of their rides, so I can't think of any logical reason why they'd implement it. It artificially slows down operations and frankly, creates more embarrassing situations for guests that could otherwise be avoided. I know my weight issue is ultimately only my fault (and I'm dealing with it), and I totally get it if I can't ride safely because of my size, but the illogical policy essentially turned my situation into a spectacle as I kept pushing down while several ride ops just stared at me when at any other park in the world I'd get the extra nudge and everyone's happy.

Aside from that, the park is awesome! The cinnamon bread was delicious! If only there was a way to eat the cinnamon bread while riding Lightning Rod, then the place would be perfect...(though thoughts like that are probably part of my problem).
Last edited by michaellynn4 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:40 pm.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby kingdakacor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Glad to see TPR is doing a tour again. I've had the wonderful pleasure of
Going on three of them and the amount of time and work Robb
And Elissa put into it is incredible. So please say thank you until blue in the face to them lol. Loved the kid west tour..,with the city museum. I only got minor bumps and scrapes! Have fun everyone, ride on!
What goes up must come down.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ribsinbacon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:32 pm

It was great running into you at Carowinds! I'm so jealous you got to ride Lightning Rod. We were going to visit dollywood but decided not to since it was down for the start of our vacation. Oh well, we'll eventually make our first visit there.

Quick Carowinds question: did you interact with the "townsfolk"at all? We watched them a few times and found their routines to be funny. Too bad we didn't see the "Mayor" at all.

Home Park: Six Flags Great America[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/0c632f8e6a50ac6dda1c6e70fdf0a1ed.jpg[/img][/url]

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Great report! Dollywood really is a fantastic place. Perhaps a TPR visit is a good luck charm for Lightning Rod since it seems to have been up consistently the past couple days. Dying to go check LR out but more importantly JEALOUS of that cinnamon bread you got to eat!
Roller Coasters provide a great escape from the depressing reality that is adulthood.
Top Coasters 1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. New Texas Giant 4. Millennium Force 5. Nitro
Top Parks 1. BGW 2. DW 3. CP 4. IOA 5. USF

"There's happiness......then there's El Toros Rolling Thunder Hill"

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby fireman1000 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:39 pm

My wife and I live 4 1/2 hrs. from Dollywood. We try to go every few months, especially during the Christmas season, when they have the lights and Christmas shows. Lightning Rod was intense when I rode back at the end of June. I didn't have trouble with the restraints, but I'm a tall guy and did have trouble getting in and out and with only one train operating, I was trying to be fast about it. No need for the ops. personnel to be rude. They usually are the best. Glad ya'll finally got to enjoy it!

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Great report! Super pumped that you managed to get on Lightning Rod. I'm hoping the stars similarly align for when the kiddo and I are scheduled to get down there on August 14th.

In regards to the restraints... are they any more restrictive than other RMCs? I'm currently hovering around the 240 lb mark, but I've managed to get on both Wicked Cyclone and Twisted Colossus in the past with no problems.

That log flume looks interesting for sure!
That coaster dad [273] and that coaster kiddo [154]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: El Toro. Lightning Rod. Goliath (SFGAm). Wicked Cyclone. Thunderbolt (LP).

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby slither37 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:30 pm

You had me at cinnamon bread . Oh my , I am 4.5 hours away from Dollywood and that cinnamon bread alone is worth the trip ! Great trip report and photos.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Gotta get on Fury and LR...so glad that you guys got your chance to ride LR this time around!

Wow, that does seem strange about the lap bars...I have never heard of not being able to help out a fellow rider, nor the ride op's help. Wonder if that's an RMC safety thing after the NTAG incident or something? Anyone assist others on Outlaw Run or any of the other RMC's and not get scolded?

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby scubaski » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks for the report Robb, sorry I couldn't make it this year but should be no reason I can't make the next one. Have a good time and keep the reports coming.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!