Photo TR: Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Resort

P. 3: Tokyo DisneySea Day 1 photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Photo TR: Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Resort

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Over the last two weeks I had the opportunity to experience my first entirely new Disney theme parks in over a decade... This time for my honeymoon! Over ten years ago I visited Japan for a short term study abroad trip with my high school (one of several). During that trip I was able to experience Tokyo DisneySea (albeit briefly), a theme park that amazed me with its unique offerings and unbroken visual design dripping with detail in every direction. I've long since dreamed of returning to this place (and to Tokyo) and I have always hoped to do so with my eventual wife. Luckily enough about a year and a half ago as we were planning our wedding, she told me that she had an idea for our honeymoon--a trip that would span the Disney Parks of the world. And while we didn't end up planning as broad of a trip this time around, we were able to finagle a two week trip that encompassed 2.5 days at the Shanghai Disney Resort, 4 days at the Tokyo Disney Resort and four additional days to explore various parts of Tokyo. During these two weeks the two of us took roughly 7000 photos that, after lots of time spent whittling down, we've found some worth sharing.

This trip report will be broken down by the specific resorts (and our time in Tokyo) and will have multiple installments given the volume of photos. If you've read any of my previous photo trip reports, especially those taken in the Disney parks, my focus is often on the little details found where the normal guests don't look.

Diving right in was our start at Shanghai Disneyland and the Shanghai Disney Resort. We opted to stay at the Toy Story Hotel due to the lesser cost and the fact that we didn't plan to be in the hotel much since we wanted to get everything in the park done. The hotel was honestly really nice! The rooms were smaller than the Western standard, but given that it had a comfortable bed, a sizable shower/tub and a safe, that wasn't a concern for us. The theming inside was cute and the amount of theming was equivalent to that of which you'd find in the Art of Animation Resort at Walt Disney World. The hotel's onsite dining options were all better than expected and the guest service we experienced throughout was definitely a highlight of our time in Shanghai.

Moving on to Shanghai Disneyland, it is important to note that this is the first Disney theme park built in over a decade (the last Disney park to open was Walt Disney Studios Park Paris). This park was designed to be "authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese" and it definitely feels like a departure from the previous standards of a castle park. The America-inspired/infused Main Street USA has been swapped for a character-infused Mickey Avenue at the entrance of the park. Adventureland has been replaced with Adventure Isle and Treasure Cove, two unique lands with some of the most unique experiences Disney has ever developed. Fantasyland hosts modern takes on classic attractions with new ride systems and repurposed ones used for new themes. Tomorrowland breaks the mold with a non-traditional coaster experience (one that this particular fan has been drooling over since it was first announced), the best shooting dark ride Disney has ever developed, an abstract approach to the Astro Orbiter and an area design that takes cues from the underrated film of the same name to create a multi-level visual experience unlike anything Disney has done before. The traditional castle has been beefed up, filled with some of the best castle offerings from other parks around the world and plussed with the addition of a unique boat ride that weaves through Fantasyland and underneath the castle.

The bottom line is, this park is modern Disney. It is designed to distinguish itself which it does--and then some. A week and a half after I left, I'm still processing all that I saw and experienced.

From an experience standpoint, I'm not going to dive deep into some of the less positive things that the park has gotten some publicity form. Some of the things reported have been true. Some of the things reported we didn't experience during our visit. Different cultures handle foreign products and processes differently and while there has been some incompatibility reported, I truly believe that given time, the experience will level out. As a Disney fan, I don't regret visiting the park and I would still recommend it to others like me.
2.JPG
We started our first morning at the Toy Story Hotel with some unique breakfast options... A Sausage Roll, a Mickey Blueberry Muffin, Pineapple Bread and Blueberry Gatorade (remember, Shanghai Disneyland has an agreement with Pepsi Co. unlike the rest of the parks that are partnered with Coca-Cola.
1.JPG
Our first look at Mickey from inside of the Guest Relations area outside of the park.
3.JPG
The entrance of the park features a new take on the traditional train station, even though the park does not currently have a railroad.
4.JPG
Shanghai Disneyland offers "Premier Access" as a purchasable Fastpass option. Roughly $70 for a set of seven attractions, this is without a doubt the best way to experience the park's major attractions. Given the capacity of the park and the popularity associated, wait times for most attractions exceed 60 minutes (at minimum) with some hitting peaks of 280 minutes.
5.JPG
Enchanted Storybook Castle represents the royalty of Disney lore as opposed to the traditional approach of having the castle belong to one princess alone. Inside you have a castle walkthrough experience (akin to the ones found in California and Tokyo), a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (like the one at Walt Disney World) and a restaurant. Out front is a stage for daytime shows and a viewing space for the fireworks/laser/water/projection show "Ignite the Dream." A signature boat ride starting in Fantasyland has its finale in a cave beneath the castle as well. Overall this is a massive complex!
6.JPG
The entrance portal for Treasure Cove...
7.JPG
Wise words...
8.JPG
The pre-show space for The Eye of the Storm show at Shanghai Disneyland is way bigger than I expected... And the experience is a clever one.
9.JPG
The conceit of the show is that actors are performing a retelling of a Jack Sparrow story...
10.JPG
There's plenty of comic relief.
11.JPG
This is a very different kind of Disney stage shown than you've seen before...
12.JPG
But for that reason, it actually works quite well!
13.JPG
The transformation of the stage is a really neat moment.
14.JPG
There's something special about seeing Jack Sparrow floating in the middle of a twister!
15.JPG
Few have encountered an F5 and lived to tell the tale...
16.JPG
Fastpass is a must in this park!
17.JPG
Buzz Lightyear Planet Rescue is easily the best version of the classic attraction. Physical sets with embedded digital targets!
18.JPG
The snack game at Shanghai Disneyland was on point! Potato Gems with Pork Floss and Jumbo Spring Rolls in Tomorrowland for the win!
19.JPG
The guests chosen to be Grand Marshalls of the Storybook Express parade drive along the parade route in a very nice looking Chevrolet!
20.JPG
A neat way to see the characters start the parade!
21.JPG
The lead float of Mickey's Storybook Express parade features Casey Jr., Dumbo, one of the birds from Pixar's "For the Birds" & Donald Duck.
22.JPG
Hiya Donald!
23.JPG
The Seven Dwarfs...
24.JPG
The Toy Story float is quite nice!
25.JPG
Lots of neat details to be found on the Tangled float!
26.JPG
Flynn Rider and Rapunzel!
27.JPG
A nod to Tom Staggs?
28.JPG
These characters serve as the lead in for the Finding Nemo float.
29.JPG
Nigel!
30.JPG
The Frozen float is wonderful!
31.JPG
There's a full size Marshmallow!
32.JPG
The Mulan float garnered the strongest reaction from the crowd...
33.JPG
And I'm in love with those embedded flamethrowers!
34.JPG
The final float of the parade appears to be used for a rotational character spotlight (in the front), currently showing off Judy and Nick.
35.JPG
Neat to see the Zootopia characters in the parade!
36.JPG
Very different views to take in while riding this version of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train coaster...
37.JPG
Dive! Dive! Dive!
38.JPG
Slightly different than the one at the Magic Kingdom in Florida...
39.JPG
Dopey makes a surprise last appearance at the end of the ride...
40.JPG
I'm just going to leave this here...
41.JPG
We tried the Roasted Duck Pizza and the Grilled Eel with Rice during our visit to the Pinocchio Village Kitchen.
42.JPG
The eel was my favorite!
43.JPG
Tarzan: Call of the Jungle features setup similar to a theater-in-the-round minus one side of seating.
44.JPG
The Tarzan: Call of the Jungle show features a more abstract take on the film's story, adding in acrobatics and stunts along the way.
45.JPG
On Mickey Avenue the Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf have businesses adjacent to each other...
46.JPG
Neat to see something I saw as a maquette at the last D23 Expo brought to life in person.
47.JPG
Any Lambert fans out there?
48.JPG
Some notable beards and mustaches...
49.JPG
Nice!
50.JPG
The entrance to Club 33 from Mickey Avenue in Shanghai Disneyland...
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:34 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Photo TR: Shanghai Disney and the Tokyo Disney Resort (2)

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:53 pm

(continued)
1.JPG
The interior door to Club 33 as seen from Mickey Avenue.
2.JPG
I'm in love with this area design!
4.JPG
Star Wars Launch Bay is tucked in the back of Tomorrowland behind Tron...
5.JPG
It's like I'm in the Millennium Falcon!
6.JPG
The Magic Passport is one of the neatest souvenirs I've seen in these parks. You enter your booklet into the machine only to have it automagically "stamped" with an image that matches the page... And half of the fun is finding the machines throughout the park. This would definitely be fun to see in the US parks!
7.JPG
BB-Great!
8.JPG
Poe's X-Wing is parked inside!
9.JPG
The queue for Stitch Encounter features some neat artwork of Stitch's experiences while in Asia...
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
It was my first time seeing Stitch Encounter, and while the experience was in Mandarin, I was able to get the gist of it!
13.JPG
At the end of the experience you help lead Stitch through a maze of corridors to escape Captain Gantu!
14.JPG
The Tron Realm Chevrolet Digital Challenge space is absolutely gorgeous.
15.JPG
I experienced sensory overload in here!
16.JPG
*drools*
17.JPG
Test Track fans may recognize this one...
18.JPG
There was even a photo op car for guests to sit in on the Grid!
19.JPG
Tron Realm included a ton of interactive games and exhibits--I just wish I had more time to experience all of them!
20.JPG
I could get used to this...
21.JPG
And by 2021, it appears I'll be able to now that it will be at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World!
22.JPG
Marvel Universe is set up as an indoor pavilion, much like Star Wars Launch Bay.
23.JPG
I jumped at the chance to meet Marvel characters in the park--something that I had yet to do in Florida!
24.JPG
THWIP!
25.JPG
The Hall of Armor in Marvel Universe.
26.JPG
The Enchanted Storybook Castle looks great from any angle!
27.JPG
The evening lighting was gorgeous!
29.JPG
Ready for some fireworks!
30.JPG
Time to Ignite the Dream!
31.JPG
Tron looks glorious at night!
32.JPG
Yep, I'll enjoy having this close to home.
33.JPG
Some notable horses' shoes on the wall in the queue for Pirates of the Caribbean...
34.JPG
35.JPG
36.JPG
Details...
37.JPG
More details...
38.JPG
The Dead Man's Chest in the queue for Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure.
39.JPG
Guests queueing for Pirates can see riders float by...
40.JPG
A full map of Treasure Cove can be hidden along the edge of Fort Snobbish!
41.JPG
This is a theme park! Incredible!
42.JPG
The neat mural in the queue for Voyage to the Crystal Grotto helps to tell the story of the attraction...
43.JPG
The modern-day evolution of the Storybookland Canal Boats at Disneyland, riders sail past moving displays inspired by classic Disney animated films. The dioramas sport unique water elements that sync with the music to create a "show scene" at each stop.
44.JPG
The beginning of the scene leads into...
45.JPG
The reveal of the Genie in the Aladdin scene, which is pretty neat!
46.JPG
I believe this was meant to be the "it's a small world" inspired scene.
47.JPG
The Sorcerer's Apprentice!
48.JPG
Tangled!
49.JPG
Mulan drew several cheers from our boat!
50.JPG
The Little Mermaid!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Photo TR: Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Resor

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Great First Part of your Honeymoon, Adam! I'm still a bit iffy about going to Shanghai Disneyland, but all your photos sure make it very tempting, lol.

And CONGRATULATIONS on your new marriage! Best wishes to you both, and happiness for always. :b :br

Looking forward to the rest of your trip, especially those times in Tokyo Disney Resort!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Awesome report! Traveling to an international park has always been a dream of mine, and I hope to take that journey soon. I'm so ready to see the rest of the photos! =)
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby TBpony414 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:17 pm

First off, congratulations on your recent wedding! A honeymoon to Shanghai and Tokyo sounds incredible. I can't wait to read along and experience all the adventures from the big trip. Off to a great start!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby prospekt88 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:51 am

Congrats on your marriage and thanks for the photo report! Off to a great start.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:46 am

Great start to your trip report, Adam! I'm really looking forward to visiting this park myself. And, like you, I think it'll be great to have Tron down in Florida.

Open Up Happiness

Re: Photo TR: 1Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Reso

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:54 pm

(Continued)
DSC01702.JPG
At the end of the Voyage to the Crystal Grotto guests may spot a few familiar vessels...
DSC01704.JPG
Up to no good...
DSC01710.JPG
A look at the Enchanted Storybook Castle from the exit of Voyage to the Crystal Grotto...
DSC01713.JPG
Looking down on the Alice in Wonderland Maze from inside of Fantasyland.
DSC01724.JPG
This is in a theme park!
DSC01731.JPG
The entrance to Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure...
DSC01732.JPG
And the ride's poster art.
DSC01734.JPG
I love this sign!
DSC01735.JPG
When I see this I can't help but Robb talking about glutinous rice in Coaster Expeditions Vol. 7.
DSC01738.JPG
Despite being a land inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean, there are other hidden references to be found throughout Treasure Cove...
DSC01739.JPG
Mickey loves Minnie.
DSC01740.JPG
A reference to the Silly Symphonies short, The Skeleton Dance.
DSC01741.JPG
Tia Dalma's home in Treasure Cove...
DSC01742.JPG
But Tia Dalma is nowhere to be found.
DSC01744.JPG
But you can look into her home to spot some familiar imagery.
DSC01749.JPG
Fort Snobbish is the setting for Treasure Cove in Shanghai Disneyland...
DSC01753.JPG
The signage found throughout Treasure Cove is absolutely top notch!
DSC01757.JPG
Fitting.
DSC01759.JPG
Get it?
DSC01760.JPG
Hah!
DSC01763.JPG
If I must...
DSC01764.JPG
Barbossa's Bounty is the land's main eatery... Unlike the Blue Bayou in Anaheim and Tokyo and Captain Jack's Restaurant in Paris, Barbossa's Bounty is a quick service venue with a view of the ride path for Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure.
DSC01768.JPG
I had a whole cooked squid... From a quick service restaurant... In a theme park. So freaking awesome (and delicious)!
DSC01775.JPG
Premier Access was a lifesaver on this trip!
DSC01782.JPG
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a carbon copy of the Walt Disney World version of the ride--you can even see in the queue how the ride's building has the traditional flat front of the Florida Fantasyland.
DSC01783.JPG
A very familiar sight for these Floridian eyes...
DSC01786.JPG
Instead of the Mad Tea Party, Shanghai Disneyland has Hunny Pot Spin.
DSC01791.JPG
For the love of Larry...
DSC01792.JPG
Enjoy!
DSC01794.JPG
A look at the Tangled Tree Tavern.
DSC01798.JPG
This theater in Fantasyland hosts "For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along like the one found at Disney's Hollywood Studios. The show is extremely popular making the lines a little too long than we had the time to spare.
DSC01799.JPG
See what I mean?
DSC01800.JPG
And we're... Moving on.

(No, we didn't buy any ponchos from her.)
DSC01803.JPG
The entrance of Voyage to the Crystal Grotto...
DSC01804.JPG
And the marquee.
DSC01805.JPG
I could stare at this ceiling all day.
DSC01807.JPG
No, really.
DSC01809.JPG
Tangled...
DSC01810.JPG
The Princess and the Frog...
DSC01811.JPG
Brave...
DSC01812.JPG
Frozen...
DSC01840.JPG
The entrance to Adventure Isle...
DSC01844.JPG
Shanghai Disney Resort bamboo sippers!
DSC01846.JPG
I love this view from within Adventure Isle!
DSC01853.JPG
I have a keychain featuring this little guy!
DSC01857.JPG
Q'araq's presence is felt throughout Adventure Isle.
DSC01858.JPG
Roaring Rapids was quite the popular attraction during our visit...

Open Up Happiness

Re: Photo TR: 2Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Reso

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:55 pm

(Continued)
DSC01864.JPG
Shanghai's signage game is on point!
DSC01866.JPG
Soaring over the Horizon garners the longest wait time of any attraction in the park (Tron Lightcycle Power Run is the most popular attraction in the park).
DSC01870.JPG
Soaring, not Soarin'.
DSC01872.JPG
Since we used our Premier Access passes to get on to Soaring Over the Horizon we had a limited view of the gorgeous milky way effect in the queue.
DSC01875.JPG
Instead of your Chief Flight Attendant Patrick, we have this condor-lady/shaman who acts as your guide.
DSC01880.JPG
The preshow is a beat-for-beat recreation of the classic Soarin' preshow video but with characters and costumes that match this ride's unique storyline. This scene is Shanghai's version of the "and of course, these little beauties" line.
DSC01881.JPG
"Nice work pal!"
DSC01889.JPG
Also unique is the milky way-style screensaver that displays during the ride load and unload process. The film itself is a copy of the one found in Anaheim and Orlando, with the exception of the finale scene taking place over metropolitan Shanghai at night instead of Disneyland or Epcot.
DSC01894.JPG
Camp Discovery is full of hidden details to be found!
DSC01896.JPG
Subtly tied to the Society of Adventurers and Explorers, also tied to the Adventurers Club.
DSC01898.JPG
A look at all there is to see in Camp Discovery.
DSC01899.JPG
The Camp Discovery Challenge Trail is one of the most unique attractions to ever be built in a Disney Park, and one that I doubt will ever make its way stateside, in any form.
DSC01910.JPG
The ropes trail has guests climbing around interior waterfall ledges inside of the mountain of Adventure Isle.
DSC01913.JPG
Around the mountain various paths provide clues as to the Isle's previous inhabitants.
DSC01916.JPG
And a tie-in to Soaring Over the Horizon.
DSC01921.JPG
I give credit for someone pulling off the following name jokes...
DSC01922.JPG
Like this one.
DSC01923.JPG
And this one.
DSC01924.JPG
There's a Horizons reference!
DSC01927.JPG
And the Yeti from Expedition Everest!
DSC01928.JPG
This officially ties Expedition Everest to the Society of Explorers and Adventurers!
DSC01929.JPG
Could it be?
DSC01930.JPG
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Crystal Skull (as found at Tokyo DisneySea) is now also tied to the Society of Explorers and Adventurers!
DSC01937.JPG
These challenge trails are awesome!
DSC01943.JPG
The Fantasia Carousel in the Gardens of Imagination is uniquely beautiful but unfortunately we ran out of time to ride it ourselves.
DSC01948.JPG
So many neat references!
DSC01950.JPG
You had me at patisserie.
DSC01951.JPG
Yes please!
DSC01952.JPG
YES PLEASE!
DSC01957.JPG
SOLD!
DSC01962.JPG
It was neat seeing this in person after seeing miniature maquettes of these at the D23 Expo two years ago...
DSC01963.JPG
Ha!
DSC01965.JPG
The deed to Toad Hall is hanging in the window!
DSC01968.JPG
A tribute to Walt...
DSC01972.JPG
Flower Street is a notable location for the Walt Disney Company, so it was nice to see this nod here in the park.
DSC01974.JPG
Brilliant!
DSC01975.JPG
I love this display!
DSC01976.JPG
So many references!
DSC01977.JPG
All kinds of awesome.
DSC01980.JPG
Enchanted Storybook Castle looks fantastic at night!
DSC01986.JPG
Throwback!
DSC01992.JPG
Mickey Avenue's main shop, akin to the Main Street Emporium in the other parks.
DSC01993.JPG
The detail work on these buildings is incredible!
DSC01994.JPG
Scrooge McDuck's bank!
DSC01995.JPG
The stained glass!
DSC01990.JPG
DSC01996.JPG
Time to start heading out for the night...
DSC01999.JPG
We visited Shanghai Disneyland only a few days after the official first anniversary of the resort began.
DSC02000.JPG
Classic.
DSC02004.JPG
See ya real soon with even more photos from the Shanghai Disney Resort, and beyond that, lots of photos of the Tokyo Disney Resort and Japan!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:41 am

This is why I'm a theme park junkie! =) To be fully immersed in your surroundings, and forgetting about the outside world is truly mesmerizing!
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!