Photo TR: Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Resort

P. 3: Tokyo DisneySea Day 1 photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Resor

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:47 am

The more I see of Shanghai Disneyland, the more I like it.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby laqueefa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:46 am

cfc wrote:The more I see of Shanghai Disneyland, the more I like it.

Agreed. Now do I make the trip, or wait for the closer parks to catch up? Like Robb says, I would not be apposed to them replacing PoTC at Disneyland with the Shanghai version.
Tigga, please!

Open Up Happiness

Re: Photo TR: 3Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Reso

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:52 pm

(Continued)
DSC02008.JPG
This is such a unique entry statement for Shanghai Disneyland!
DSC02014.JPG
Just beyond the gates of Shanghai Disneyland is Disneytown, home to a variety of shops and restaurants including the main Disney store, World of Disney.
DSC02016.JPG
The interior is designed to carry the feel of a classic train station.
DSC02017.JPG
With some modern touches, of course.
DSC02018.JPG
There is some really neat art embedded in the ceiling within World of Disney.
DSC02020.JPG
The Disneytown logo.
DSC02022.JPG
BreadTalk, a quick service bakery and eatery ended up being our favorite place for food in the entire resort.
DSC02023.JPG
We ended up eating here three times in our 2.5 days at the resort!
DSC02024.JPG
Disneytown's LEGO Store.
DSC02025.JPG
Some unique LEGO sculptures adorn the building when compared to the ones found at LEGO Stores attached to other Disney destinations.
DSC02028.JPG
The Disneytown space is small but spread out to accommodate the normally large crowds that flow in and out of the adjacent park.
DSC02029.JPG
Some very unique brands not found in any other Downtown Disney can be found in Disneytown.
DSC02031.JPG
Disney POP was a new store that I hadn't seen elsewhere!
DSC02032.JPG
Trend-D is actually a part of the resort's World of Disney but this brand should be familiar with fans of Disney Springs at the Walt Disney World Resort.
DSC02033.JPG
D Street is another store that is actually a part of World of Disney but the store is also found at the Walt Disney world Resort and at the Do
DSC02034.JPG
The Boathouse is here in Shanghai too!
DSC02036.JPG
Shame we didn't get to try it but it was nice to see our Florida favorite on the other side of the world.
DSC02037.JPG
There was this awesome geek store on the Lakeview side of Disneytown that was a haven for Star Wars and Marvel fans.
DSC02038.JPG
Some really neat displays for a store.
DSC02044.JPG
The Shanghai Disneyland Hotel as seen from Disneytown.
DSC02047.JPG
The next morning we visited the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel to check out the ground.
DSC02053.JPG
Some neat entry pieces.
DSC02054.JPG
This lobby is absolutely grand!
DSC02056.JPG
The entrance statue inside of the lobby.
DSC02063.JPG
These light fixtures on the lobby ceiling are gorgeous!
DSC02070.JPG
I could stare at this hallway for quite some time!
DSC02074.JPG
This garden area at the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel is used for Disney Fairytale Weddings in Shanghai.
DSC02075.JPG
And the wedding pavilion...
DSC02081.JPG
A pretty magnificent view to enjoy as a guest here.
DSC02082.JPG
So much on the horizon to take in!
DSC02083.JPG
Tron and Disneytown across the way.
DSC02084.JPG
Adventure Isle off in the distance.
DSC02085.JPG
Treasure Cove can be seen too.
DSC02086.JPG
The Lakeview side of Disneytown...
DSC02090.JPG
There's a hidden fairy that can be seen slightly to the right corner of this glass lotus fountain.
DSC02091.JPG
The Shanghai Disneyland Hotel also features a water play area for younger guests to enjoy.
DSC02102.JPG
This is arguably the most brilliant lounge theme Disney has come up with.
DSC02103.JPG
A look at the Bacchus Lounge.
DSC02104.JPG
The Ballet Cafe takes its cues from the classic Fantasia sequence...
DSC02105.JPG
And also ties into the Fantasia Carousel found inside of the park.
DSC02106.JPG
Some gorgeous artwork inside.
DSC02108.JPG
And look at this spread!
DSC02111.JPG
A very different menu of breakfast options.
DSC02112.JPG
I love this!
DSC02135.JPG
The entrance to Lumiere's Kitchen restaurant...
DSC02124.JPG
A look inside of Lumiere's Kitchen restaurant at the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel.
DSC02134.JPG
The hotel has an indoor pool themed to The Little Mermaid!
DSC02139.JPG
The entrance of the Toy Story Hotel (where we stayed) sets the stage that you're entering the Toy Story Hotel-themed toybox.
DSC02140.JPG
Pretty clever if you ask me!
DSC02141.JPG
The Shanghai Disney Resort had just begun its 1st Year Anniversary celebration a few days before we arrived and throughout the resort you could find signs about the celebration.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Re: Photo TR: 4Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Reso

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:53 pm

(Continued)
DSC02144.JPG
I love the Toy Story Hotel's take on the one year anniversary (Summer Celebration)!
DSC02146.JPG
The Guest Services desk at the Toy Story Hotel features these large marbles that guests of all ages can play with.
DSC02147.JPG
Woody and Bullseye tower over one of the two courtyards at the Toy Story Hotel.
DSC02149.JPG
The inside of the resort is modesty themed as well.
IMG_0050.JPG
This was the look of shock and awe on my face during my first ride on Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure. This is easily my favorite Disney ride ever and one that I would argue is the best Disney has ever built.
IMG_0053.JPG
Tron Lightcycle Power Run was another favorite for us--one that I cannot wait to see open in Florida in just a few years!
IMG_0054.JPG
More desserts from BreadTalk!
IMG_0055.JPG
And dinner at BreadTalk too!
IMG_0058.JPG
Back in the LEGO Store at Disneytown we found some unique art pieces designed just for Shanghai Disney.
IMG_0061.JPG
The classic Disney LEGO dragon continues to make his traditional appearance at each LEGO Store at a Disney destination.
IMG_0062.JPG
The Avengers!
IMG_0065.JPG
Time for some Roaring Rapids!
IMG_0081.JPG
Up we go!
IMG_0088.JPG
You get a great view of the part from the top of the lift hill!
IMG_0093.JPG
Down we go!
IMG_0099.JPG
I couldn't get a good photo of Q'uaraq but he was really cool to see! Roaring Rapids was a fun ride for sure!
IMG_0102.JPG
I had to go back for more!
IMG_0103.JPG
The queue is built to handle hours worth of lines.
IMG_0104.JPG
If only Kevin Flynn were around to see what his creation had become...
IMG_0108.JPG
This queue provides an excellent amount of buildup to the ride by allowing you to watch trains launch out of the station.
IMG_0112.JPG
The design aesthetics of this ride are unparalleled.
IMG_0118.JPG
The queue monitors use the same glassless 3-D tech as you find in the Test Track queue at Epcot.
IMG_0122.JPG
Simple but incredibly effective!
IMG_0136.JPG
Meet your opponents.
IMG_0142.JPG
Rinzler or Tron? You decide.
IMG_0149.JPG
I love this design element!
IMG_0157.JPG
A look at the rider position...
IMG_0172.JPG
And the lightcycles themselves.
IMG_0187.JPG
More food at BreadTalk!
IMG_0188.JPG
A mooncake for added protein back at the Toy Story Hotel!
IMG_0210.JPG
Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure starts off with a talking Jolly Roger, like the classic attractions did/do.
IMG_0214.JPG
Similar to passing the Blue Bayou restaurant in other versions of the ride, you pass the seating area for Barbossa's Bounty at the start of this ride.
IMG_0229.JPG
A new take on the classic gag from the other rides.
IMG_0232.JPG
The introduction of Jack Sparrow in the ride is an incredibly neat effect!
IMG_0241.JPG
If anyone remembers the Jack Sparrow attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios, that attraction's effects served as a pre-curser and proof of concept for many of the effects used in this ride.
IMG_0251.JPG
For anyone that claims to have an issue with screen based media, Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure manages to use this technology on a level not accomplished anywhere else.
IMG_0255.JPG
The detail on this solid projected surface is incredibly rich and deep, giving it a fully three dimensional feel that makes it feel not like you're watching a screen but as if you're moving through a physical set piece.
IMG_0259.JPG
The introduction of the Kraken in the media is quite effective.
IMG_0264.JPG
The mix of physical sets and projected media is unparalleled.
IMG_0269.JPG
This massive room is layered in a way that details can be seen with the full frame of view and dissected more closely as you move throughout the room.
IMG_0287.JPG
Passing The Flying Dutchman up close is a highlight of the ride.
IMG_0295.JPG
The ride does feature several fantastic animatronics of characters found in the popular film franchise.
IMG_0304.JPG
The first animatronic of Davy Jones and they absolutely nailed it!
IMG_0313.JPG
This scene is incredibly effective!
IMG_0317.JPG
The often pictured scene of the ride but there's so much more to it than just floating between these two ships.
IMG_0318.JPG
Screen media is hidden amongst the ship to allow Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones to interact as you pass by.
IMG_0342.JPG
The climax of the ride features a Musion set piece where Jack and Davy Jones' duel triggers the movement of physical and digital set pieces before you are blasted backwards out of the battle.
IMG_0373.JPG
At Shanghai Disneyland they have a Mickey Bar and a Minnie Bar!
IMG_0376.JPG
The Minnie Bar has white chocolate-covered strawberry ice cream and the Mickey Bar has milk chocolate-covered vanilla ice cream with chocolate ice cream ears.
IMG_0383.JPG
Barbossa's Bounty features several portraits of notable characters from the films...
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Re: Photo TR: 5Shanghai Disneyland and the Tokyo Disney Reso

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:53 pm

(Continued)
IMG_0384.JPG
Some of which are actually pirates...
IMG_0385.JPG
Others less so...
IMG_0386.JPG
Some even fighting for the other side.
IMG_0387.JPG
The signage throughout Treasure Cove is incredibly detailed!
IMG_0390.JPG
I am absolutely in love with this!
IMG_0407.JPG
Even more cleverness!
IMG_0408.JPG
Sold!
IMG_0409.JPG
Some clever details in Treasure Cove.
IMG_0417.JPG
I'm a bad pirate.
IMG_0439.JPG
The map featured in At World's End is found in Treasure Cove where you can rotate the pieces to find the path to several mythical treasures.
IMG_0453.JPG
I didn't have to give an arm to get to Shanghai Disneyland, but I did give a leg.
IMG_0468.JPG
The Snackin' Kraken is built with driftwood, much of which was chosen because it resembled the tentacles of a kraken.
IMG_0473.JPG
This area will eventually be a part of Toy Story Land.
IMG_0474.JPG
The RC Racer coaster was already under construction during our visit but is much farther along now...
IMG_0476.JPG
A closer look.
IMG_0485.JPG
I love this entry sign!
IMG_0489.JPG
The Big Hero 6 workout show in Tomorrowland was pretty cute!
IMG_0522.JPG
I loved seeing designs from the Tomorrowland film being used for the attraction signage in Shanghai.
IMG_0545.JPG
I went back several times during this trip!
IMG_0676.JPG
The Alice in Wonderland Maze was a totally new experience for us...
IMG_0680.JPG
The entrance scrolls tell the story of the attraction for anyone that needs a refresher...
IMG_0681.JPG
More details...
IMG_0683.JPG
And more...
IMG_0684.JPG
And the end.
IMG_0687.JPG
You can choose three potential paths to begin with.
IMG_0690.JPG
A look at the Enchanted Storybook Castle from inside of the Alice in Wonderland Maze.
IMG_0692.JPG
Beware the Bandersnatch.
IMG_0693.JPG
It was neat to see something in person that I had seen in small-form maquettes at the D23 Expo a few years earlier.
IMG_0695.JPG
Take the tunnel!!!
IMG_0722.JPG
The money shot.
IMG_0742.JPG
This thing is massive!
IMG_0749.JPG
"There's always a toilet nearby!!!"
IMG_0778.JPG
And so our time at the Shanghai Disney Resort came to a close... We had a great visit and we were very glad we made the trip while we were out in Asia! Next up was our time at the Tokyo Disney Resort, where one park I hadn't seen in over 10 years and the other would be entirely new for me.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:50 am

Yeah, I need to visit this place--the Pirates of the Caribbean ride is reason enough.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby laqueefa » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:43 am

cfc wrote:Yeah, I need to visit this place--the Pirates of the Caribbean ride is reason enough.

Ditto. I'll brave the unhealthy air quality in Shanghai for this ride, any day. It looks amazing.
Tigga, please!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:47 am

laqueefa wrote:
cfc wrote:Yeah, I need to visit this place--the Pirates of the Caribbean ride is reason enough.

Ditto. I'll brave the unhealthy air quality in Shanghai for this ride, any day. It looks amazing.

Meh, the air in Shanghai is just like LA. Beijing (and some of the lesser visited industrial cities) is where you can see, smell, and feel the air you're breathing in! I'll never forget our 2012 visit I was so happy KT wasn't there as it felt like I was breathing air through a charcoal brick!

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby toughmudder » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Excellent TR and photos! Looks like you had an awesome visit.

I've seen many photos/videos of the Q'araq recently where the animatronic appears to be broken down (like EE's Yeti). Were you able to see it working live? If so, how was the effect? I'm wondering how accurate they can get the motion of the animatronic with a raft ride since the position/time of the raft is more unpredictable than a ride vehicle.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:49 pm

SharkTums wrote:
laqueefa wrote:

Meh, the air in Shanghai is just like LA. Beijing (and some of the lesser visited industrial cities) is where you can see, smell, and feel the air you're breathing in! I'll never forget our 2012 visit I was so happy KT wasn't there as it felt like I was breathing air through a charcoal brick!

Yes, the air in Shanghai was OK. But I'm convinced that the pollution in Beijing screwed up my camera. Some residue got into the lens compartment, and I was getting these occasional, annoying brown smudges on my pictures. It all started in Beijing.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!