Our 2017 Mega Coaster trip report.

Park # 12 Six flags great America pictures now up.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Location: Ypsilanti, MI (four hours closer to CP than my old home)

Re: Our 2017 Mega Coaster trip report.

Postby cparkes92 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:46 pm

You can never pass up an opportunity to see one of the living legends of country music, especially when it's free! Also looks like Frontier City is a beautiful little park
Top 10 steel: Millennium Force, Maverick, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, GateKeeper, Kraken
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat, Blue Streak (CP)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:00 pm

cparkes92 wrote:You can never pass up an opportunity to see one of the living legends of country music, especially when it's free! Also looks like Frontier City is a beautiful little park

I did not have high expectations going into this park, but we were highly impressed with it.
261 steel coasters
100 wood coasters

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:42 am

I've heard good things about this park from other people, too. Looks like a good add-on for a Texas park trip.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby EliHorton » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:16 am

WOW! Great pictures of a wonderful park! I haven't gone since last year but it is a park I wish I could get to more since I live only four hours away in Springfield, Missouri. It is definitely one of my favorite amusement parks. They maintain their coasters and classic flats nicely and the overall park just looks so good! And they have a decent mix of coasters, two that go upside down, a kiddie one, and two family coasters. And I love their flat rides, especially the flying scooters and the Zamperla power surge. And their Wild West Water Works area is fun, too! They just added a new slide tower in it this year. Speaking of which, the super loop isn't the park's newest attraction, the Gunslinger (Power Surge) opened last year and Gully Washer (water slide) opened this year. Brain Drain opened two years ago. Otherwise, that you for visiting this small park!

Postby thrillrider » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:09 am

EliHorton wrote:WOW! Great pictures of a wonderful park! I haven't gone since last year but it is a park I wish I could get to more since I live only four hours away in Springfield, Missouri. It is definitely one of my favorite amusement parks. They maintain their coasters and classic flats nicely and the overall park just looks so good! And they have a decent mix of coasters, two that go upside down, a kiddie one, and two family coasters. And I love their flat rides, especially the flying scooters and the Zamperla power surge. And their Wild West Water Works area is fun, too! They just added a new slide tower in it this year. Speaking of which, the super loop isn't the park's newest attraction, the Gunslinger (Power Surge) opened last year and Gully Washer (water slide) opened this year. Brain Drain opened two years ago. Otherwise, that you for visiting this small park!

I forgot about the new waterslide, as we never went into the waterpark. I also forgot to mention that we stayed at the hotel directly next door to the park, and were able just to walk over instead of having to pay to park. That was an added bonus, as when I booked the room I had no idea that it was directly next door to the park....just close by.

I also have to mention how nice the staff was as well. They were very efficient, and friendly. If I had to pick one negative thing from this park, it would be the food prices. We had gotten 3 small personal pizzas for lunch, and it was near $30. The pizzas were just enough for 1 person and came with a breadstick.
261 steel coasters
100 wood coasters

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby EliHorton » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:33 pm

thrillrider wrote:
EliHorton wrote:WOW! Great pictures of a wonderful park! I haven't gone since last year but it is a park I wish I could get to more since I live only four hours away in Springfield, Missouri. It is definitely one of my favorite amusement parks. They maintain their coasters and classic flats nicely and the overall park just looks so good! And they have a decent mix of coasters, two that go upside down, a kiddie one, and two family coasters. And I love their flat rides, especially the flying scooters and the Zamperla power surge. And their Wild West Water Works area is fun, too! They just added a new slide tower in it this year. Speaking of which, the super loop isn't the park's newest attraction, the Gunslinger (Power Surge) opened last year and Gully Washer (water slide) opened this year. Brain Drain opened two years ago. Otherwise, that you for visiting this small park!

I forgot about the new waterslide, as we never went into the waterpark. I also forgot to mention that we stayed at the hotel directly next door to the park, and were able just to walk over instead of having to pay to park. That was an added bonus, as when I booked the room I had no idea that it was directly next door to the park....just close by.

I also have to mention how nice the staff was as well. They were very efficient, and friendly. If I had to pick one negative thing from this park, it would be the food prices. We had gotten 3 small personal pizzas for lunch, and it was near $30. The pizzas were just enough for 1 person and came with a breadstick.

Yeah. The is super friendly. When I went I marathoned the Silver Bullet. Every time the train came back to the station and the lap bars popped up, I would push it back down immediately. One of the ride ops noticed this after my tenth ride and said I reminded him of a young version of the operations manager, so he go on the walkie talkie and asked him to come meet me at the Silver Bullet. He showed me his office which was full of roller coaster memorabilia. And also I was riding their flying scooters and my wallet fell out of my pocket but I didn't notice. One of the ride ops actually chased me down and gave it back.
I didn't eat there when I went, instead I left the park and went to the diner just down the street. But that seems like a pretty steep price. One time when I went to SDC with my friends last fall we wanted to get some pizza at the Crossroads Pizza place in the park. We thought we'd get a large pizza and split the cost. It ended up being $20. I thought that was pretty steep, but I heard good things about it. It took thirty minutes to get it, and it was two TINY pizzas that were burnt on the bottom and there was barely any cheese or sauce. Or crust for that matter. It was terrible. But it is always a fun story to tell.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Jason Maier » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Glad you had fun at Frontier City . . . also glad they have their Summer Concert Series (which I think more parks should do)

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby ericthewanderer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:42 pm

I never gave this park much thought,but the themeing for such a small park is great!Plus they have a Schwartkopf and an Arrow!
By the way-isn't that Arrow shuttle loop one half of Great Adv's Lightning Loops?

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:46 pm

^^ SDC's pizza is baked in wood fired ovens, so some charring on the bottom is perfectly normal. If it was completely burnt, though, you should have brought that up with staff. SDC takes pride in their food and probably would have replaced it. You don't want to conplain just to get something for free, certainly, but if it was legitimately poorer quality than standard, or not what you ordered, then that is something you don't have to accept.
Top Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Phoenix 3. El Toro 4. Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. Millennium Force 2. Skyrush 3. Magnum XL-200 4. Diamondback 5. Maverick
Top Parks: 1. Disneyland 2. Dollywood 3. Silver Dollar City 4. Knoebels 5. Holiday World

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Jason Maier » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:05 pm

ericthewanderer wrote:I never gave this park much thought,but the theming for such a small park is great!Plus they have a Schwartzkopf and an Arrow!
By the way-isn't that Arrow shuttle loop one half of Great Adv's Lightning Loops?

Diamondback was the upper half of Lightning Loops . . . and it's one of only 3 remaining (along with Sidewinder at Elitch Gardens and Revolution at Blackpool Pleasure Beach) Arrow launched shuttle loops in the world

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!