TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: My adventures in the mid-north (SFGam, MiA, CP...

I had no interest in Exterminator as a loathe spinning coasters,

It was right around noon at this place, and I figured I had hit everything I really wanted to.

I had no interest in Noah's Ark,

the shooty-dark ride Ghostwood Estate didn't interest me.

I didn't realize they had a Whip until after I had left

I was just underwhelmed by this park for all the praise it receives.

Anyway, after killing the park in 2 hours, I hopped back in the car

Maybe I just don't get it, but I was underwhelmed by Knoebels as well. Yes, it's awesome that everything is so cheap, its awesome that they run classic rides the way they were meant to be, and the overall ambiance is awesome. But the ride lineup is meh, and the operators attitude was just the worst. I can't see how anyone without a family of small kids could spend a whole day, especially multiple days, here.

It sounds strange and possibly like BS, but Knoebel's and Kennywood (and Waldameer, too) are truly all "stop and smell the roses" parks. To really feel the charm and not just pass by nice ambiance as you head to the next thing on the to-do list, you need to toss that list in the trash and forget about the bigger chain parks. Feed birds and relax in gardens and wooded areas, do all of the dark rides, flat rides, water rides, eat tons of food, play games, win prizes, take in the Wurlitzer music on the merry-go-rounds, see the lights come on at night, and then go enjoy unforgettable night rides. It's also helpful, I think, to be at these traditional parks with your family or significant other, rather than on your own or with enthusiasts who just want to grab credits.

Last season, I spent more than an hour at Kennywood just taking my niece for some ice cream at the Pagoda, talking and relaxing with her by the garden clock, and then taking a ride on the train. It was great. Then she had her first ride on the Log Jammer, a personal favorite of mine (and now her's). This might not seem eventful or special, but the traditional parks encourage a slower pace that can create these awesome memories & quirky fun that far outweighs large coaster lineups. When you try to "accomplish" a traditional park, a feeling of "that's it?" and eventual disappointment is sure to set in in no time.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got around to mapping out all of my credits that I can remember definitely going on*, and it turns out that I turned over 100 on this trip, with Shivering Timbers. Yay me?

*For anyone who cares, exact clones don't count, but a revised train style (i.e. Mantis/Rougarou) does.