The Alvey's Go To NYC and Do Some Things...

Broadway, Pizza, Cookie Dough, Animals, Retrogames..
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: The Alvey's Go To NYC and Do Some Things...

Postby anonymouscactus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Regarding the pepperoni, I have always called it 'Buffalo Style Pepperoni' because 95% of the local pizzerias in the region have those cupped pepperoni. I love it, personally. Growing up I never realized it was a thing for this region; I thought most pizza was like that.

'Buffalo’s pepperoni is slightly thicker than in most places, and cooked more, with the result that it sort of curls up into a saucer shape, crispy with a bit of oil in it, what is locally known as “cup and char” pepperoni. It has more flavor than the bland flaccid disks many pizzerias across American now use"
Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/columnist/greatamericanbites/2016/09/22/bocce-club-pizza-buffalo-new-york/90695016/

The cookie dough looks amazing too. One of our local malls just opened up a shop with the same concept, I wonder if it compares.

I've only seen a few touring Broadway shows but your report was great and makes me want to catch a few more shows. I live about 6 hours away from NYC but have only been a handful of times. The pizza tour sounds great and I'll definitely look out for that ticket outlet you mentioned for cheaper tickets. Unfortunately that's the one thing that keeps me from going to see more theatre but I guess I never really looked for the best ways to get tickets, either.

Love the cupcake sign!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:17 pm

^ I guess that I never knew the char-cup pepperoni was a Buffalo thing, but that one pizza shot in Robb's report certainly looked like that was what they used. I agree that it is a lot more flavorful than regular thin, flat pepperoni.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Hmm, I'll have to ask Scott as he's the pizza expert, but I don't recall him saying that style of pepperoni originated in Buffalo. I remember him saying the "curl" had something to do with the casing that was used for the pepperoni and it's usually a sign of higher quality. He said that most pizza places don't use it because it's more expensive, but you'll find it in many NYC pizzerias because they need to have higher quality to sell slices with all the competition.

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:41 pm

I definitely have to make it to NYC to do Scott's pizza tour. Everything that you have shared in this report and others, show some outstanding looking pizza. I freaking drool every time I look at the photos! :lover:

Postby prozach626 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:01 pm

The cookie dough place is a really cool idea. Looked like a fun trip.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby GreatAdventurer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:35 pm

robbalvey wrote:Sorry, not meaning to come off as rude

Its OK it wasn't rude at all and I totally understand your pet peeve, I don't like people trying to plan my trips or telling me where to go either, Im genuinely sorry for coming off like I was trying to do that and sorry If I was coming off like I was underestimating your knowledge on NYC, you really have a fantastic website here and I truly enjoy all of your content, I understand your pet peeve and respect it, This was a great trip report and I cant wait for your next NYC trip report, Hope you enjoyed the trip and Im looking forward to your future trip reports no matter where! :) -GreatAdventurer
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/74488e7fab820f9ee7ba271d6b37eba6.jpg[/img][/url]

I Love Donkeys!

Postby GreatAdventurer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:14 pm

So When exactly is the New York Wheel scheduled to open? I do think it will provide for some pretty amazing views honestly and Im looking forward to it, I definitely need to get out to staten island more, I have been to that borough by far the least and thinking now about it especially since its so far out for me I think ive only been maybe two or three times, I really need to explore Staten Island more and think I will make getting out and exploring staten island a top priority for me
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/74488e7fab820f9ee7ba271d6b37eba6.jpg[/img][/url]

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!