The Alvey's Go To NYC and Do Some Things...

Broadway, Pizza, Cookie Dough, Animals, Retrogames..
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Location: Ypsilanti, MI (four hours closer to CP than my old home)

Re: The Alvey's Go To NYC and Do Some Things...

Postby cparkes92 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:49 am

Looks like a very good time! Cookie dough is amazing and so is pizza! :)
Top 10 steel: Millennium Force, Maverick, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, GateKeeper, Kraken
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat, Blue Streak (CP)

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:06 am

Glad to hear you had a great time! As a theater geek myself (I was the treasurer for the musical theater troupe in college), I'm disappointed that I haven't been able to make it to more shows on Broadway (I saw Jersey Boys right before that run ended and saw the West Side Story revival a few years ago). I'm taking my cousin to see Wicked in Philly in August, so that should be a good time. I'm with you on Miss Saigon - I saw a production in Reading, PA, several years ago and really loved it. I may have to make a trip back up to NYC to see the revival.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 am

Hilltopper39 wrote:You teased a picture of the Hamilton marquee, are tickets for that still hard to come by or has the popularity died down any a year later?

Yes, it's insane. If you want shitty seats now, they will cost you at LEAST $500 - $600. I honestly don't get it. I've watched the bootleg of the show a bunch of times and listened to the cast recording over and over, and while I *LIKE* a lot of the music, and I can see it's appeal, I don't get why *THAT* show in particular is the one that gets $600 - $1,500 per seat ticket prices. I feel like it's just over-inflated hype beyond comparison to anything else on this planet. It's a good show, but it's not that groundbreaking, at least in my opinion, in terms of set design, staging, or song writing. Like, I would have understood if it was just while Lin-Manuel Miranda was in the show, but he's been gone for a year now and it still gets crazy prices. And not just in NYC, it's like that EVERYWHERE the show is currently playing.

I seriously don't get it.
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 am.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby bert425 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:59 am

Wow. . what a great trip!

and you always get the most awesome pictures. . . so jealous you got to do my favorite thing in Manhattan (MOMA). . too bad you didn't hit the Gugenheim. . I just cant go to Manhattan myself without a pic from the top looking down into the lobby.

and the Bronx Zoo . . wow that brings back some great memories.

Love that you got to go see two of my top 5 favorite shows (Miss Saigon & Avenue Q), and I would have gladly sat thru Kinky Boots again, as it's so much fun.

really want to see Anastasia, but not sure when I'll get back to NY. . . .you should to a TPR trip just for shows! who needs Coney Island? sign me up to spend a week with y'all doing Broadway.

I wonder if the puppets in Avenue Q don't bother you so much because the performers are on stage holding them in plain sight? that's something I remember first being "mainstreamed" with Lion King. . it makes the puppets so less freaky :)

looks like a wonderful trip, and glad y'all had a great time.

edit: my other shows in my top 5: Rent, Wicked, Into the Woods
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 am

As much as I love the music from Hamilton, I think a big portion of the popularity of seeing Hamilton in person at the moment (and paying those exorbitant prices) is derived from an idea within some theater fans' minds that attending a show at this point in time can actually be used as a status symbol of sorts. Most of my friends from my theater days are rational people, but I have seen a couple who have flat out bragged how "money wasn't an issue", they just HAD to see it ASAP. I'll wait until prices are more reasonable.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:30 am

Used to work down the block from that UniQlo, we recently moved offices so now I'm closer to Eataly. Didn't realize those Nintendo shirts were available yet... I may have to make a stop by there one of these days very soon. Plus, the Animal Crossing stuffies? I know the kiddo is gonna want one of EVERY one. (We just finished collecting the Amiibos for AC, too!)

Sounds and looks like you had a blast, Robb!
That coaster dad [227] and that coaster kiddo [99].
Dad's faves: Fury 325 / Intimidator 305 / El Toro / Phantom's Revenge / Skyrush.
Kiddo's faves: Wicked Cyclone / Gale Force / The Joker / Boulder Dash / Phoenix.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:04 am

michaellynn4 wrote:within some theater fans' minds that attending a show at this point in time can actually be used as a status symbol of sorts. Most of my friends from my theater days are rational people, but I have seen a couple who have flat out bragged how "money wasn't an issue", they just HAD to see it ASAP. I'll wait until prices are more reasonable.

Yep, this is my issue with the show also. I don't care enough about any show or anyone else who is into shows to "brag" about that I've seen it. Same reason why I didn't bother with Book of Mormon early on when the tickets were insane (and that was like $300-$400, not even close to what Hamilton is asking) and I have still yet to see that show on Broadway, only the touring versions.

Even with the tickets we pre-booked, I think the average price I spent on shows was about $125 per ticket, and the furthest back I sat for any of the shows I saw was Row N at Kinky Boots, all the other shows I saw where in the first 9 rows, and 3 of them I was in the first 4 rows.

That really is about my limit in price for seeing a show. I'll pay $180 for a ticket one night if I can get a ticket for $75 the next. There is NO WAY IN HELL I'm paying $300 - $500 for any show, especially in crappy seats. No show is worth that, and it's not like I can't afford it, I just choose not to do it! ;)
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:05 am.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:13 am

bert425 wrote:Wow. . what a great trip!

. . . .you should to a TPR trip just for shows! who needs Coney Island? sign me up to spend a week with y'all doing Broadway.

Funny you should mention that. Doing this trip actually made me REALLY want to do a NYC Trip, but the way we would do it and what we would include, it would just be too much money and I fear most of our coaster people wouldn't be interested enough. I mean, we saw a kiddie coaster, could have gone to Coney Island, but chose to do other stuff instead!

I used to live in NYC so I love 'showing it off' to people and now reliving stuff through KT that I did at her age is weird/cool.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:33 am

robbalvey wrote:
Hilltopper39 wrote:You teased a picture of the Hamilton marquee, are tickets for that still hard to come by or has the popularity died down any a year later?

Yes, it's insane. If you want shitty seats now, they will cost you at LEAST $500 - $600. I honestly don't get it. I've watched the bootleg of the show a bunch of times and listened to the cast recording over and over, and while I *LIKE* a lot of the music, and I can see it's appeal, I don't get why *THAT* show in particular is the one that gets $600 - $1,500 per seat ticket prices. I feel like it's just over-inflated hype beyond comparison to anything else on this planet. It's a good show, but it's not that groundbreaking, at least in my opinion, in terms of set design, staging, or song writing. Like, I would have understood if it was just while Lin-Manuel Miranda was in the show, but he's been gone for a year now and it still gets crazy prices. And not just in NYC, it's like that EVERYWHERE the show is currently playing.

I seriously don't get it.

Seems like Book of Mormon died down quite a bit after the original cast left but I guess Hamilton is still going strong. I'm glad it's still having a lot of success but kinda sucks tickets are still that expensive/hard to find. Maybe once the two touring casts roll out this/next year it'll be easier to get a (reasonably priced) ticket.

And I'm kinda with ya in that's it's a good show, a REALLY good show, but isn't groundbreaking in set design or staging or anything. There were a few numbers that really blew me away (Satisfied, One last Time) but other than that it was just really good, but not $600 a ticket good. Book of Mormon > Hamilton is still my musical theater hot take.

Sorry, I've sidetracked this thread enough with Hamilton stuff. Kinky Boots is a show I've heard great things about but I've never had much interest in. I need to listen to the soundtrack and try to catch that on tour sometime.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby RCjunkie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:34 am

LOVED the 'Allergy Info' warning sign at the cupcake shop, thanks for sharing and reminding me that common sense actually counted at one time. And, as always, thanks for the shots of retro arcade games to remind me of my 'misspent' childhood. I am now jealous that you have a stand up Donkey Kong at home. I am lucky enough to have a table top of 50 classic arcade games where I work in the game room which includes Donkey Kong but to have one at home would be divine.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!