TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR: Two Guys, a ‘gull, and a Peninsula of Pleasure

working on day one (travel day and explore . . no CP itself yet).

hope to have that up in the next couple of hours. .it's a LOT of pictures. . LOL.

but to get started, here are the two guys (gays), the gull (Seagull), and the Pleasure palace!

77970384_Seagullwbabies.thumb.JPG.9c4b40dacab31d1038bc4df1cb0c9feb.JPG

a momma protecting her babies! just under our room at Breakers

airport.thumb.JPG.05724d933be907fbbe6c81de6957823d.JPG

we meet at last ( [rockyhorrorpictureshow] NO! We meet at first!! [/rockyhorrorpictureshow]

Button.thumb.JPG.033a45528d01fc5f06ed4c00cd653fbe.JPG

if you ask at the Museum in Frontiertown, they will give you a button! (I discovered this when chatting with the curator, and mentioning it was our first time at CP. . . got one for Bill too).

Edited by bert425

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boo! You tease us horribly!

(seriously looking forward to this TR--you make some good ones)

And where did you get that 1st visit button? I feel like I missed out, didn't get one last year when I went for the first time.

I was talking to the Curator at the "Town Hall Museum" in Frontiertown. . right next to Skyhawk.

and mentioned during our conversation that it was our first time, and he went behind the counter and handed it to me!

(he also told me some interesting things. . .but that has to wait for Monday report) . . Heh.

^ Yes, that was really cool and a very unexpected souvenir, Bert! Thanks, again!

And it was a really cool museum to walk through and enjoy.

Some really great displays and artifacts, mostly from the very very early years of the park.

And the (what I called the) Breakable Souvenir Section was ah - may - zing!

IMG_4054.JPG.9918f6c337866a15926787141808b3a9.JPG

My button with the Coastermania! pin for the event.

Day one - or: Time for these virgins to become men!

So, after months and months of planning, the day was finally here.

Well, “day” is not really accurate, as I had to get up at 3am to get to the airport for my early, early flight that connected thru Houston.

My flight was showing it was on time, and Nick was going to take the dog to boarding later that morning (I had reasoned with him that if we were going to have to pay for boarding the dog (so he didn’t have to give her the insulin shots and eyedrops she needs twice a day), then I didn’t want to also pay to park the car at the airport, and he needed to drop me off and pick me up.

So we got up way too early, and headed to the airport, where after waiting for a while, I got on a packed flight to Houston. We arrived in Houston a little early, which was good, as I then had to run from terminal D to terminal B (typical for connecting flights in Houston airport. . I’ve *never* had a connecting flight in the same terminal) to make my flight to Cleveland – which was on a much smaller, but just as packed plane.

Luckily I was on the side of the plane with the single seat (opposite) the row of 2 seats, so I didn’t feel too cramped, but yeah. . small plane.

There was some weather coming into Houston, but we loaded up and backed away from the terminal, and pulled out to the runway. . . and then stopped. And sat. for about 40 minutes. (the Captain even turned off the engines to conserve fuel!).

I was getting a bit concerned because although we didn’t have to be at Breakers until 4pm for check in, I was supposed to meet Bill at the Baggage Claim in Cleveland – his flight got in ~ hour and ½ before mine. Bill doesn’t have a cell phone, so I had no way to contact him to tell him we were running behind. I had pushed to get his flight info (and he had mine), so at least he could look and know we hadn’t landed yet.

So I did what I could do to not worry, and just read magazines until we finally got cleared for take-off.

The pilot made up a lot of time in the air, and before I knew it, was looking at Lake Erie out of my window. The Cleveland airport looks TINY from overhead, but once you land? Sheesh. . walking and walking forever to get to the baggage claim!

I got down there and looked around and didn’t see Nrthwnd (Bill), but I did see a display about Superman (so took a picture of that). I went to the display of arrivals, and saw that his flight was on the same luggage carousel that ours had – even tho I just did carry-on, we had agreed to meet at Baggage Claim. I still didn’t see Bill, but per the arrival screen, his flight had been delayed too, so he hadn’t gotten in that much before me. So I stood around for a few minutes, and then materializing down the hall was Nrthwnd – someone I’ve known online thru TPR for years, but had never met in person. We hugged hello, did some quick complaining to each other about both of our flight delays, and then headed to the shuttle to get to the rental cars.

The rental car pick up was easy-peasy, we were in and out of there in less than 10 minutes, and on our way by 11:40 to CP!

Of course, it was so easy, neither of us thought to ask the desk clerk for any actual directions, or a map even, LOL. And remember, Bill doesn’t even have a cell phone we could use for GPS!

Luckily, we asked at the last booth when you drive out with the car, and they gave us the generic “Cleveland” and on the other side “Toledo” maps. So we kind of had an idea of what the highway numbers were – tho Bill was a little concerned about tolls. I reasoned that the clerk would have pushed a “toll tag” at the counter if we really needed one, since we mentioned we were going to CP for Coastermania!. . so if we hit any tolls, we’d just pay cash. (turns out there are NO tolls between Cleveland Airport and CP, by the way).

Luckily, Bill knew that CP was West, and I knew it was Sandusky. . so once I found it on the map, we sort of followed the best we could tell to get to 90, then 6/2 and we just followed the signs to go that way. We had originally planned to stop at a Walgreen’s to pick up snacks and Saline (for my contacts), but the one time we pulled off 90 to look on side streets, Bill got concerned that we’d get lost. . . so we just hopped back on the freeway heading to Sandusky figuring we’d find something along the way. We discussed getting something to eat too, but decided we’d just get to the hotel first, and then figure something out.

other than giving the general direction, the maps truly were not a whole lot of help. . . luckily we’re both pretty good about following signs, and before we knew it, we were on the 2 heading into Sandusky and CP specifically, and started getting giddy once we saw TTD peeking thru trees behind some of the many nurseries. Apparently it was Biker Week, tho we really didn’t see ANY motorcycles. . so that was a bit odd.

Once we hit the causeway.. it was like Nirvana staring us in the face and I actually couldn’t believe we were looking with our own eyes at a bucket list park for both of us (Bill for longer than me, as he collected the pamphlets and booklets from CP without ever thinking he’d actually be here). As we paid the toll to go onto the peninsula – which Breakers would reimburse - and drove around to get to Breakers, I took a bunch of pics, I’m sure everyone has seen similar versions of. . >LOL. Bill was driving, so I took pics on my iPhone.

It was only about 1pm, but I told Bill they might let us check in early at Breakers, even tho check in time is supposed to be 4, so we went ahead and drove over that way.

For a place that is so close to the park (waterpark too), they seem to be VERY trusting.. there was a booth that we stopped at, but once we said we were staying at Breakers, they just waved us thru without asking for any confirmation number proof or anything. There weren’t any signs near Breakers either.. so we weren’t quite sure where we needed to park to check in. .so we just picked a lot, and went into the main entrance.

There was really no wait, so we got up to the counter right away, and mentioned we were there for Coastermania! (the check in folks showed no indication at all they had a clue what we were talking about). . . and that we knew we were there early, but maybe the room was ready? While she was looking up the reservation, I mentioned that it was our first time to CP, and if we could get a room that faced the park, how awesome that would be. . . . she gave me a wink, and said they have a room ready for us – on 2nd floor, facing the park (which turned out to have quite the view of Valravn, corkscrew, power tower, iron dragon, TTD, Millennium Force, and two (not one, but TWO) Cedar Point water towers. . LOL.

But Uh-Oh. . then we hit a snag! They would not let Bill check in until he paid off what was still owed on the room.

One cent.

(I shit you not).

He’s Canadian. .he didn’t have a penny. I didn’t have any change on me – we hadn’t stopped for lunch or at a store. . so we all just kind of stared at each other, with Bill and I thinking she was kidding.

She was not. She really said she could not check us in until the room was fully paid.

So as Bill was about to authorize her to charge one cent on his Credit Card, the other counter person, ran into the back and found a penny from someone’s desk, and used that to pay the bill difference so we could get into the room. Sheesh.

We told her where we had parked (which wasn’t in the correct place), and she directed us where to move the car to, and how to get to our room from outside. Then we popped into the onsite general store to see if they had anything like saline I could use for my contacts. Although they do offer a few contact lens things in their small sundry section, there was nothing I could use. I told Bill that I thought I could get by with the small “one dose” drops I travel with, and let’s give that a try, but first we needed to get into the room and then get something to eat.

We move the car, and got up to the room, where Bill said he *must* do a ritual when we arrive – which turned out to be shots of Jagermeister. . LOL. . I never did ask him where he had been keeping that, as I never saw a bottle. . but it was nice and warm, and then he unpacked some gifts he had brought for me (awwww) – including light up candy-corn necklace (SO COOL!), a pin from Disney, a pin from Playland, some Playland postcards, and some yummy salted caramels – I felt terrible I hadn’t brought him anything from Texas. . other than myself of course!.. but he’s just that sweet of a person.

The room is pretty standard, about what you’d get at a Comfort Inn level. Not what I’d consider a “resort” at all, and I totally get that you’re paying that price for the location – which is stunning (the view from our room, could not be beat unless we were a floor or two higher). But yeah, really a very, very “basic” room, tho it was very nice that it included a safe, a fridge (with a freezer section!), and a microwave. The clock in our room was off for about an hour, and there was no way to reset it – it was hardwired in, and it was simply “off” ..so I ended up using my cell phone and watch to know what time it was (Bill, in the bed closer to the wall, could see the clock on the microwave which was sorta close to accurate).

We went down to look at the options in the Hotel, and there honestly are not that many. For a place that bills itself as an onsite property “resort”. . really, the only options on-site were Perkins Restaurant (decent food, but crowded, and closed at the same time the park did every night. . so that would be by 8pm or 10pm on the days we were there), a Teppanyaki place (which looked decent but expensive), a TGI Fridays, and a Starbucks (that also closed rather early). The bar has a food menu, but it’s fulfilled from Perkins, so even if the bar is open late, once Perkins closes, no more food. . .. we figured that we’d save Perkins for dinner (tho didn’t get the chance, as it closed by 8), and there wasn’t anything we really passed on the way into CP other than a Dairy Queen near Breakers Express. (Famous Daves is there, but we were doing that Sunday).

We didn’t really want to move the car to go out to Sandusky so soon after arriving, so we ended up going to TGI Fridays – which is just across from the Indoor pool, and therefore the whole front dining room and bar area just *reeks* of chlorine. So we ended up sitting out on the patio looking at the beach. . oh I should mention the weather was gorgeous this day too. So it was lovely to sit outside and eat lunch (overpriced, but that’s true of any TGI Fridays, so that had nothing to do with the location at Breakers). We had drinks there too, and despite the bartender telling us how good she was on our way into the restaurant, both Bill’s and my drinks were not “quite” right. . can’t recall what he asked for, but the color was “off”. Me? I asked for a Mai Tai, and they brought me a rum punch (and when I mentioned that to the waiter, he insisted it was a Mai Tai, and they knew it because, because they had to look it up to make it since the bartender didn’t know what that is. . .but yeah. . it was NOT a Mai Tai). LOL

But the food was decent enough, and we ate everything, as we had been hungry. Highlight was the youngish waiter spilling an entire tray of drinks (tho he saved the beer!) on the table just behind us.

After we ate/drank, we explored the hotel a bit, and peeked into the arcade (no pinball, booo!), We checked out the beach/boardwalk area and the outdoor pools and hot tubs (FULL of kids every time, no adults in sight, and no one to enforce to wear the colored bands they had given us at the front desk to wear at the pool to prove we were staying at the hotel). We peeked into the ice cream parlor on site (tho never ate there) and I found out that Dominos has a kitchen onsite (attached to the convention area. . which explained why the entrance over there always smelled like pizza). . . at the end of the day it’s Dominos, but at least they deliver to the hotel and the beach. There also is a workout room, but didn’t use that either since we did so much walking. Surprisingly tho, no computer room! I’ve not stayed at a place that doesn’t have computer access (at minimum to check in for flights) in many years.

We were sorta by the room at this point, and Bill had flown red-eye and wanted to lay down for a bit. If I laid down, I knew that would be it for me since I was on very little sleep too. . and I knew we were getting up at 5:30 am. It was only ~4:30pm, so I figured I’d explore a bit more while he rested, and went to sit out by the beach to people watch. I realized that since we hadn’t stopped at a Walgreen’s that I didn’t have any sunscreen since I had planned to buy it there. So I went back to the onsite store and looked at what they had to offer. The selection was OK, but the price gave me sticker shock – but it’s an onsite store, so of course going to be expensive.

I went to front desk and asked them if there is any Walgreen’s close, and he told me there’s a CVS about 25 minutes away. . and then said, oh wait, there’s one about 15 minutes away: Just go across the causeway, turn right on First st, and then go about a mile. I thanked him, and then let Bill nap until about 7pm and woke him up and asked if we could go hit CVS to stock the fridge in the room, get me sunscreen, and since we’d be in a pharmacy, some saline for my contacts. The trip the CVS is actually about 8 minutes from Breakers parking lot. . . and with your receipt, in / out at the toll-gate is a breeze, so if you stay at Breakers, I recommend a trip to CVS to stock up. It’s close, and if you sign up for their card (free) you can get some good cheap food for the room. We loaded up w/ much cheaper sunscreen, a 24 pack of water, and assorted chips/snacks for the room and headed back.

We got back to the Hotel just before 8 (we had taken our time shopping) and headed down to Perkins to eat dinner even tho we weren’t that hungry. And at 8:05, we realized the place had closed at 8. yes, really. A hotel full of people, and the coffee shop type restaurant closed at 8pm. We had eaten TGI Fridays for lunch (they were open until 10), and we didn’t want to eat at the Fancy Teppanyaki place. . . so one of the hotel folks directed us to Starbucks/Bar area which they said had food. The bar did have food, but as mentioned, it’s supplied by Perkins, so even tho the bar menus are out, you can’t order if Perkins is closed.

So we just got drinks. I got my Go-to, Midouri Sour, after the bartender confirmed they had ONE bottle left in the back, and she went and got it. And then presented me with a brown drink.

I was like. . ummm? Midouri is neon green, I’ve never in my life had a brown Midouri Sour. . I took a sip and yeah. . despite is supposedly being a “double” it was more sweet and sour than Midouri.

The bartender actually says to me

“oh. . well I guess maybe because I don’t like Midouri I poured heavy on the sweet and sour”

So I took a big gulp and asked her to please top it off with more Midouri (which to be fair, she did pour in, but it didn’t lighten it up much). But yeah. . two drinks on site, one at the actual bar, and one at the bar in TGI Fridays, and both drinks made wrong by the person acting as BARTENDER.

. . .and she was not the only Breakers employee who seemed a bit lost and didn’t know exactly what was going on. Early in the season? Or a training issue?

Not sure, but not that impressed, despite every one of them being pleasant and friendly and trying to help out even if they didn’t know the answers.

As mentioned in Andy’s TR, I asked at front counter for info on how the Coastermania! Shuttle works and they told me just come down and tell them we need one and they will call the shuttle, even if early morning. Bill wanted to walk to the front gate, and I pushed back on that with the reasoning that we’d be doing a lot of walking, so I’d rather ride if that was an option (and ended up being a good call, as no way would we have made the full day on Friday if we had walked to front gate!)

Credit where it is due tho, when the other bartender came on Friday night? The Midouri Sours were all just fine every time.

We sat inside at the bar for a bit, then moved outside to the fire-pits, and eventually walked all the way down the boardwalk to where Windseeker / Wicked Twister are.

there were some folks out there smoking and they offered to move out of the way so I could take some pictures, and then she says “hey, are you bert from TPR?”. . and it was Aimee and her Hubby Gordon. (she had an account on TPR, but was a lurker, and had seen my trip reports. . I say *was* because she promised she’d start posting, and she has in the CP thread ).

So we hung out and visited with them for a bit, which was fun, and commented on how after hours CP has absolutely no gates up! Seriously, anyone could just walk into the park. . . I know they have cameras *everywhere* but still very odd to see such open access into the park if someone wanted to wander in. It was getting close to 11, and we’d had a long day, and Bill needed to go the bathroom (and was a little tipsy). . I only mention this because as a guy, nature is our toilet. . but I would NOT let him pee off the boardwalk onto the beach. As I said, cameras everywhere, and I told him he’d get us banned from the park before we even got in for our first day! LOL. . . so he let me convince him to get back to the room and go there . . . heh.

We got back to the room, put in for a 5:30 wake up call (and I don’t think it will surprise anyone that the 5:30 call never happened. . but thank goodness Bill had his travel alarm clock – which died after the 2nd day, but it did it’s job for us on Coastermania! Day, so it’s duty was fulfilled. . LOL).

And with that we watched the lights on Power Tower for a little bit (we never turned on the tv in the room, really), then turned in for the night. . tomorrow was a big day for us Virgins!

IMG_1708.thumb.JPG.51dbc8735fccde50012f96a83a7cb759.JPG

from the window of the plane. . I see Lake Erie!

IMG_1709.thumb.JPG.b0bcb7e9d8b611333aaadf758f4d079e.JPG

and there's Cleveland. . . the closest I'll get on this trip, tho a friend will drive down to meet us for lunch on Sunday.

IMG_1710.thumb.JPG.c017760ee2d6ed5b85bbf8908576a108.JPG

the Superman display at Baggage claim in Cleveland airport. I'm a comic book fan, so yeah. a pic.

IMG_1711.thumb.JPG.a7abe581b48c14192bb2919feb3d6415.JPG

and I found Nrthwnd -- or he found me! look at that arty selfie pic.

IMG_1712.thumb.JPG.c41cfde4b3e7781f3729292e6bea65ac.JPG

hmmm. . maybe we should go HERE instead of Cedar Point?

what do you think, Bill? hmmmm??

IMG_1713.thumb.JPG.75dfbd1bee346260ebe45cc5315ae3a5.JPG

hard to see, but there are coasters on the horizon here!

IMG_1716A.thumb.JPG.17ddbc6aeda27bd61a22b55fca9cbafe.JPG

we're here, we're here!

(this pic is actually when we were leaving. . but on the way in a big truck was parked in front of the sign) :p

IMG_1717.thumb.JPG.32b430db79be092a513423174700eb1a.JPG

IMG_1719.thumb.JPG.a5ea968aada936ff1fb6f684248add64.JPG

OMG. . . OMG . . . OMG

IMG_1720.thumb.JPG.fc1cba519f1937e20e06c0fcc685e668.JPG

OMG. . . OMG . . . OMG

IMG_1722.thumb.JPG.dbbef378272c5b56971e95845122ffa9.JPG

um. . I think we need a clean up in the front seat?

IMG_1724.thumb.JPG.fefeaa2adf742db2ee2eabd043f78264.JPG

what is that in front of us. . it's amazing. . .

IMG_1725.thumb.JPG.dcff8b9ae8115451b32f8170b0f7e123.JPG

last quick stop, and then we're actually ON the Peninsula with Cedar Point!!!

IMG_1727.thumb.JPG.f27cd863604b005975a80c4f182833d9.JPG

a shot no one ever gets. . right?

IMG_1729.thumb.JPG.8004695055daed6673c14f46cb41ae0f.JPG

Bill was driving, I took pictures!

IMG_1730.thumb.JPG.ad819b53e134e234225e23bb8c7d6d61.JPG

IMG_1731.thumb.JPG.ec79eb69e33e3dfd2b15ed6f19272d25.JPG

IMG_1733.thumb.JPG.a681cd9afb80c2b6972bbe22d7d7dbb6.JPG

straight down on Valravn. . and Raptor is so pretty. . yet so, so painful!

IMG_1735.thumb.JPG.06784168b355bf51e8efd28c8dde46ec.JPG

Gatekeeper is GORGEOUS

IMG_1736.thumb.JPG.f7fc37d96dd29de2ca1f0c1c62bcc90b.JPG

I do not know how I'm going to sleep tonight!

IMG_1737.thumb.JPG.ffcc8e3acbf44ecdf84e16d2aa8a7c79.JPG

I'm in awe. . seriously, mouth agape, in stunned silence

IMG_1738.thumb.JPG.a65c1bb1a2d5a376fcee14fcaa707309.JPG

so, so beautiful. Rougarou, Valravn, TTD, & Power Tower

IMG_1739.thumb.JPG.c7a850a0b387c9776e3fe314bff3e3ae.JPG

Rougarou & TTD

IMG_1740.thumb.JPG.3ed42b607de191793d8cbdfb437124e1.JPG

Millennium Force on the lift hill.

IMG_1741.thumb.JPG.03484f89065ee071a69b50ecfd8e0ee4.JPG

Maverick, and some woodie they are tearing down behind it.

IMG_1743.thumb.JPG.94893e15bb03b8225820c28b65f1da56.JPG

seriously, you would NOT believe how many people in the park told me they were "tearing down" Mean Streak.. . they don't even notice the new track!

IMG_1744.thumb.JPG.36a2f7645be508887f95a040d99a6ca6.JPG

going around back to Breakers.. . I'm sure similar shots have been posted, but these are better, because *I* took them :p

IMG_1745.thumb.JPG.4ebbf8395ef2fdb0206a1214adab9957.JPG

ohhhhhhhhhhhh

IMG_1746.thumb.JPG.5face1a796032ff7dfadb49bf662616c.JPG

ohhhhhhh

IMG_1747.thumb.JPG.fcd26878c230b1b09843045bcdb5b6ab.JPG

Gemini

IMG_1748.thumb.JPG.9e5ea6eba9e17f02e5d19336dd369adc.JPG

Magnum is gorgeous and you pass right under it to get to Breakers

IMG_1750.thumb.JPG.dda1d049b758a7c70c2963baa6859a9f.JPG

and we're here!

IMG_1753.thumb.JPG.a5d951b9d3d91c943863f31f619c37a7.JPG

proof I was there in person. . . damn, I look happy.

IMG_1757.thumb.JPG.750e2e557bc73522a48522599815fc09.JPG

and the other side. . .

IMG_1758.thumb.JPG.b0b1f771ce70354fb3f8bd8d9caa10b4.JPG

it's so tiny, it fits in your hand :p

IMG_1760.thumb.JPG.2f4d0280a9f29f07670703a40cd09b16.JPG

IMG_1761.thumb.JPG.12c2af0ee91638a8ca80610f6c6daeb3.JPG

attempting a selfie. . .

IMG_1762.thumb.JPG.486dca264437fb72e13b194f93589b72.JPG

the view from our room

IMG_1763.thumb.JPG.726c45347ed6500cdfd28053a889b415.JPG

the view from our room

IMG_1764.thumb.JPG.bcefa0fd3876d8c1b1c0d86b2b71bc03.JPG

the view from our room

IMG_1765.thumb.JPG.8881a498fa58159d80ddb2fc78ed9a8f.JPG

the view from our room

IMG_1766.thumb.JPG.882b88d8e9632fe0aa0cf4e8e9b53b13.JPG

the view from our room

IMG_1767.thumb.JPG.be93619de9b0db58e6e2715d314f62fc.JPG

here's the actual room. . .

IMG_1768.thumb.JPG.ab719c097617a250d4de9a6618473814.JPG

and the beds. Nice enough, but basically the level of a Quality Inn. . . the beds were very comfy, and I like the headboard.

IMG_1769.thumb.JPG.2a972940e8011beb40301ac354ea4bd5.JPG

gorgeous day and the beach is beautiful.

IMG_1770.thumb.JPG.e56646a0b3be9ca6016cdd717c399b3d.JPG

the hotel grounds look beautiful. . dunno what it looked like before, but it looks very, very nice now.

IMG_1771.thumb.JPG.824afb4c11d675776386814d7072b193.JPG

the hotel grounds look beautiful. . dunno what it looked like before, but it looks very, very nice now.

IMG_1772.thumb.JPG.399be1f5e3b9854f0b2f3b83f13a2c54.JPG

gorgeous day and the beach is beautiful.

IMG_1774.thumb.JPG.5dbbf7486ebf7180d048ef0468b31869.JPG

we asked the "dippin' dots" guy for information on Mean Streak. . but it wasn't giving up anything!

(this was in the arcade at Breakers)

IMG_1775.thumb.JPG.e7426d5959ad62ca7f5310a740e59d79.JPG

IMG_1776.thumb.JPG.129cd254e2382748ef0645e92bda5d0b.JPG

IMG_1777.thumb.JPG.f3d17fcc549554a26551b78c06d6aff8.JPG

IMG_1778.thumb.JPG.de10a8af5592e849907154c1a1672fa4.JPG

IMG_1778a.thumb.JPG.60df57ed93352e276a0dd30c4c33b5a5.JPG

and here's the actual nest

IMG_1778b.thumb.JPG.fa76ac78773b815e0d8e3b97b4772663.JPG

IMG_1779.thumb.JPG.5d7a5ebc826a939ab11f7b4bb2c6edb7.JPG

Bill showing off his cocktail at the bar

IMG_1780.thumb.JPG.c485d167a563c7a774d50d2f8f02dccf.JPG

Gin and Tonic?.. I can't recall.. I know he tried his 1st Sex on the Beach on Saturday :)

IMG_1781.thumb.JPG.1c90b0cf19e802ee665f6cf2b34f7ba0.JPG

look. .it's a brown Midouri Sour.. something is wrong with this picture

IMG_1783.thumb.JPG.38f48cb0611dd56baf55a829e9264c7e.JPG

the bar doesn't get very crowded, but it's right under the tower atrium, which is beautiful.

IMG_1788.thumb.JPG.26ee3b5d7fa38eadc18499d8db90e229.JPG

and the hotel lights up fantastic at night

IMG_1789.thumb.JPG.7e34524396561113770fe73fc74a35a9.JPG

a bit blurry down the beach

IMG_1790.thumb.JPG.f3678520db0f5b73b5de80701993111d.JPG

hotel from the water line

IMG_1791.thumb.JPG.8760564248709c1630aa0d73dde9200f.JPG

walking down to the end of the pier.

That's TPR member Aimee on the right, and her hubby Gordon on the left (tho i didn't know it was them when I took the picture)

IMG_1792.thumb.JPG.5b34171925f795f1fd27f4a1a1b9d0f2.JPG

IMG_1794.thumb.JPG.4e7c430e06c4a9d986342d1c624cec0a.JPG

OMG. . no gates? we could walk right in if we so wished.

this is the entrance next to Windseeker

IMG_1795.thumb.JPG.0950bc7d0d776619fbc7cfc5263f06d1.JPG

NO BILL! you cannot go in tonight. . not until tomorrow!

Edited by bert425

Oh Bert, this is going to be so very easy doing this report with you. Damn, between you and Liz remembering what things we all did together that day, I can coast along easy. But I will have to tell my side of things, when we were separated those three times, for my "hotel rest".

And although I was very very tempted, I am glad I decided in advance NOT to try stopping and taking pix as we got closer and closer. Yours turned out great!

And here's a few photos I started taking, although not till the next morning.

IMG_3757.JPG.c12afb6f7b205c0cd68fdf209c94b8a3.JPG

What we'd see when we entered our room.

IMG_3756.JPG.3eef77b22992e21659f061e6506fb490.JPG

A bit wiry with the mesh, but still a good look at what was ahead of us.

IMG_3669.JPG.e73aea8dfa42c4705cb22375de3b918b.JPG

And Liz? I think I told you we had one of the coasters "above us." Not to be.

^ Yeah, that's how I knew I was going to feel like that, once we got close to the resort. But I was the driver, so I had to stay focused. Not to mention not having much sleep on the red eye to Toronto, and then connecting to Cleveland. But I did it, and Bert got some great shots as we advanced towards the hotel.

Bert, your TR is very entertaining, as always. Like you, we had to learn to appreciate the resort for what it offered, as opposed to things you would expect at a typical 'resort.' Anyone who goes into Breakers expecting quiet pool areas, large luxurious rooms, late night amenities, and bar staff capable of making typical mid level cocktails will likely be disappointed. I forgot about all of the kids making the pool area not even an option for us.

However, Breakers is still great for offering its views of the park and its location. I think the gates being open at night is part of the plan, until someone inevitable ruins it. After our last night we walked around the park for a good hour after closing and no one said a word. We also passed a lot of other guests walking around. Just when we didn't feel comfortable being in the park any longer, as I was sure we would get told to leave any minute, we saw a group of teens enter through the open resort gates and walk right by some staff members. No one said a word, even despite their typical obnoxious teen behavior.

The resort has gotten much better. I remember our first visit almost nine years ago and it was like staying at a run of the mill Super 8 with a TGI Fridays and an ice cream parlor attached. The bar area, Starbucks, the fire pits and all of the visual touches have at least helped the offering come closer to the price point.

Bill doesn't have a phone??? Good for him! That's admirable in 2017. I try to use my poor man's Amazon 'smart' phone as little as possible. If it weren't for work, I would probably be rocking an old school flip phone for communication necessities.

Bert, your TR is very entertaining, as always. Like you, we had to learn to appreciate the resort for what it offered, as opposed to things you would expect at a typical 'resort.' Anyone who goes into Breakers expecting quiet pool areas, large luxurious rooms, late night amenities, and bar staff capable of making typical mid level cocktails will likely be disappointed. I forgot about all of the kids making the pool area not even an option for us.

Bill doesn't have a phone??? Good for him! That's admirable in 2017. I try to use my poor man's Amazon 'smart' phone as little as possible. If it weren't for work, I would probably be rocking an old school flip phone for communication necessities.

we met a couple at the bar the 3rd night (Gina, and .. . "robbie?". . can't recall his name). We met them the night Aimee brought out the cheese plate. . LOL

we ended up hanging with them at the bar every night we went down there. Anyways, they were staying in a room just a few hundred feet from the bar (just behind the hallway door on the left of it), and I helped her bring some drinks to their room one night -- and was SHOCKED at how tiny it was. Seriously, it was just slightly larger than a walk in closet, and the bed barely had clearance from the opening door.

now i don't know if this is a solo or "inside" room, like they sometimes have on a cruise ship, but she told me it wasn't discounted at all. If that's true, i'd have been pissed beyond belief to have been in that small a room.

as to Bill not having a phone? nope. . and he's proud of not having that tether.

IMG_1299.thumb.JPG.ba223eef29538242d2e6f18f33bca5b9.JPG

here's me and Gina out by the firepits/bar on Monday night.. . yeah, we were a little lit.

(she took the pic on her HUGE tablet phone. . it was like holding up a laptop!)

Enjoying the report so far. I've even learned something: there are no Walgreens stores within a reasonable distance of the park (closest is in Norwalk). So now I know if I need something specific from that store to bring it with me or stop at one well before I get to Sandusky on my first trip next year. Otherwise there is Walmart (since I rarely go to CVS)...lol

^ The CVS was really easy to find, and I had no problem driving there and back to the hotel.

I would suggest you do like we did. Which is check in, decide what you need to get,

and then head there. Easy!

I helped her bring some drinks to their room one night -- and was SHOCKED at how tiny it was. Seriously, it was just slightly larger than a walk in closet, and the bed barely had clearance from the opening door.

now i don't know if this is a solo or "inside" room, like they sometimes have on a cruise ship, but she told me it wasn't discounted at all. If that's true, i'd have been pissed beyond belief to have been in that small a room.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like it was too far off from the size of our room, since we had a single bed. At least you guys got the double beds, which helped with the size of the room.

Great report so far! I can't wait to see more.

thanks!

and I just realized that I totally forgot to mention that when we were in bar on Thurs night, I texted TBpony (Liz) and told her we were there and they should swing by when they got back from CP, since we had chatted on TPR about both of us being at Breakers, even tho she and her Mom (Dianne) were not going to do Coastermania! (they aren't ClubTPR members, but I think she's going to join now)

Bill had been a little concerned that we were going to be so busy it was going to be hard to meet up (and that proved to be the case with the folks that reached out to Bill to try and meet -- we never saw them!).. but the folks I had talked to we managed to meet up with.

anyways, I should have mentioned that Liz and Dianne came by the bar and visited with us for about 25 minutes before they headed out to eat in the only place still open at Breakers after the park closed (TGI Fridays. . we didn't join them as we had eaten there for lunch). But it's important that we met and really enjoyed each other's company, because we ended up spending a lot of time together on Friday during the "non-exclusive" Coastermania! hours, and due to that (and Liz showing me the trick to quickly share photos on iPhones, and her being an angel and buying OUR ride pics on her photo pass, then sending them to me). . .I ended up with some great photos that I otherwise would have never gotten.

of course, that was just the icing. . spending hours with Liz and Dianne (along with Bill, of course), made the day extra-special great!

love my co-TPR members!

working on CM! day.. hopefully will have that day's report up late tonight or tomorrow.

10. Uploading images - When you upload images, please keep them under 100k and no bigger than 800x600. All photos that have been uploaded to TPR's server are co-owned by Theme Park Review and the member who has uploaded the content. You hereby grant Theme Park Review a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license and TPR reserves the right to use your photos in updates, DVD releases, front page features, or any other medium.

Last edited by gisco on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:21 am.

^ What I found. Mine are usually 600x450 or 640x480 in size, for posting.

IMG_3670.JPG.16f7ffc74b79402e375f882b1afb3e41.JPG

640 x 480 ~ Friday, June 2/17 ~ 0600ish

Loving the tr so far - makes me excited to post my own. Does anyone know if the 800x600 image rule is strict? Is there a limit?

I thought the site "scales" them. . . I've never adjusted my pics, I just upload in batches of 25 (as suggested in the posting of multiple option). . . and then they simply come out to 800x600 adjusted.

I just checked several in the report so far, and all of them scaled to that, and look just beautiful (ie: no degradation when scaling).

Great start to the report! Cedar Point is so awesome. It's hard to understand until you've been there, and once you've been, you want to go back as often as possible. Glad you enjoyed the hotel, even if the bartenders have questionable expertise....

Loving the TR so far!! We decided to splurge at the Teppanyaki place, and as it turned out it was no more expensive than the food at Friday's. I was surprised at how good it was too!

Good to know. I was interested in us possibly eating there, and was going to check the prices on the menu posted outside of it,

and the times it was open, but I usually found myself without my reading glasses, and I didn't want to ask "what's this cost?...

and this?... and this?" etc. Ours here at home are great, but much more expensive to dine at.

Well, maybe next visit.

Loving the TR so far!! We decided to splurge at the Teppanyaki place, and as it turned out it was no more expensive than the food at Friday's. I was surprised at how good it was too!

that's awesome!

so glad Bill quoted you, i hadn't realized you posted. . LOL

no longer a lurker!

one of us, one of us, gooble, gobble, gooble, gobble!