Andy's 2017 Coastermania Photo TR

Early June at Cedar Point
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Re: Andy's 2017 Coastermania Photo TR

Postby The Great Zo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks for all the comments everybody. =)

pianojohn wrote:Totally agree. We waited about 10 minutes and realized even when the shuttle arrived that there wouldn't be enough space for all those waiting. Either have buses in the morning or open the WindSeeker gate for entrance. We ended up driving around to the main parking lot, doing ERT, and then driving back to the Breakers.

bert425 wrote:What time did y'all get up?

We were up at 5:45 and at front of breakers by 6. First shuttle was full when we got there but 2nd one was right behind it.

We were at front gate and lined up 10 minutes before they started letting folks check in

Bert's info is interesting -- because I had no idea the shuttles were running that early. No one ever published when the shuttles would start (I probably should have asked) but based on Tony's response to a tweet, I had believed they weren't going to start running until 630 AM. I got to the hotel entrance at about 625 AM, the first shuttle I saw was at 635 AM (it filled up) and then I got on the next shuttle at about 650 AM.

It's far from a deal-breaking issue or anything. Just, maybe as plans are revised for next year, having the shuttle plan set/published in advance might make it a little easier for everyone.

Intaman wrote:Awesome trip report per usual Andy! Ever since HWN and Coastermania weekends have aligned, I have chosen HWN over Coastermania. However, with CP capping the attendance (and the boat cruise!), I may have try to do the event again next year (especially with the rebirth of Mean Streak). I share your sentiments about MF. Despite having ridden many top-tier coasters, I still put ol' Millie at the top of my steel list.

The attendance cap was a big thing that took Coastermania from "eh, maybe I'll eventually go" to something I really wanted to do. I couldn't make it last year but this year it worked out! Maybe next year will be a good year for you to attend, for reasons you've stated well. :)

JRice92 wrote:Those were some really amazing photos! Glad you had a great time in the park!

And thank you again for being a great ride host. Glad we could chat for a few minutes, even if the circumstances on the TTD platform were less than ideal. ;)

Philrad71 wrote:I really need to get over to that restaurant across Sandusky Bay to have a beer and just bask in the great view from that angle. We've been to Battery Park and Marblehead, but this looks like another great way to take it in one of the best skylines on the planet.

I thought about going to Marblehead, actually, but didn't feel like doing the half hour drive around the bay. It worked out because I got pretty much every shot I wanted from Battery Park this time, and now that I've been there twice for night shots, I'll probably make Marblehead the priority for next time.

Philrad71 wrote:And I agree about your vote for the best airtime hill at CP, although I love the last two hills on MF too! ;)

As do I!
-- Andy

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby TBpony414 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Those are some seriously fantastic photos Andy! I can't believe you didn't reveal what your new camera is... so tell us, what did you get?! Everyone loves a new toy! I was at CP on Thursday and Friday but not partaking in the Coastermania events for various reasons - next year I will be, though. Still got to make a bunch of new friends who were attending the CM events (Bert, Bill, and some folks at MF on Fri night who I emailed ride photos to) which was nice. I've never been to any park anywhere that has walk-on or station only waits for basically the entire day. I thought the Thursday crowds were low but Friday it was a ghost town. Yippee! Can't believe you missed the best flat ride in the park though - SkyHawk. Next time you need to get on it!

ETA - It makes me super happy to hear that Millennium Force is still a favorite of so many other people. While other rides may be bigger, faster, newer, or have more maneuvers, there's just nothing else like it.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby DaMarkSta » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Hey Andy, awesome photos it was great being able to hang out with you at Coastermania. Hopefully you can make it again next year and thanks for the info on that pier by Mean Streak you got some photos on I'll be checking that out as well.

I haven't even got a chance to look at the photos I got on the cruise yet haha I'm sure I'll sort through them this weekend and what not, maybe photo contest entry for next year? haha

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby DaMarkSta » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Oh and yes to second Andy's recommendation about Dockside Cafe yes please go! This is my home park and I didn't even know about the place haha We visited on Saturday and it was wonderful. Great atmosphere and great food, and who can resist fresh cut fries?

Also the prices were not bad either and nothing can beat the view.

Postby The Great Zo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:29 pm

TBpony414 wrote:Those are some seriously fantastic photos Andy! I can't believe you didn't reveal what your new camera is... so tell us, what did you get?!

Went from T2i to T7i!

t7i.jpg
Same product line, updated version. Thought about getting something fancier/bigger/etc, but this still fits everything I'm looking for.

I had plans to spend Saturday in Cleveland doing a bunch of photography, so I was really lucky to find a camera store near downtown with one available.

TBpony414 wrote:Can't believe you missed the best flat ride in the park though - SkyHawk. Next time you need to get on it!

ETA - It makes me super happy to hear that Millennium Force is still a favorite of so many other people. While other rides may be bigger, faster, newer, or have more maneuvers, there's just nothing else like it.

I really enjoy Screamin' Swings, but I always seem to find myself drawn to other rides at Cedar Point. I've been on the one at Dollywood the last couple years and probably will be again later this year.

As for MF, it's really been challenged -- Outlaw Run, El Toro, GeForce, Karnan, Wildfire, Skyrush, Medusa -- they all come really close, and some are better than MF in some ways. But overall the whole experience remains my favorite!
-- Andy

Postby The Great Zo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:31 pm

DaMarkSta wrote:Hey Andy, awesome photos it was great being able to hang out with you at Coastermania. Hopefully you can make it again next year and thanks for the info on that pier by Mean Streak you got some photos on I'll be checking that out as well.

I haven't even got a chance to look at the photos I got on the cruise yet haha I'm sure I'll sort through them this weekend and what not, maybe photo contest entry for next year? haha

Mark, my CoasterMania partner in crime! I can't wait to see some of your shots, especially a few good ones I know you got after my camera went and bricked itself. But giving away the secret pier? ;) Was great to catch up and make a few laps around the park together. Sorry about the noise in the hotel.

I know we'll both have some new photo contest entry options for 2018, but I think I'm sticking with my original idea...

DaMarkSta wrote:Oh and yes to second Andy's recommendation about Dockside Cafe yes please go! This is my home park and I didn't even know about the place haha We visited on Saturday and it was wonderful. Great atmosphere and great food, and who can resist fresh cut fries?

Also the prices were not bad either and nothing can beat the view.

Preach it! This^ is the expert speaking: if Mark says the fries are good, the fries are good.
-- Andy

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby bert425 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:17 pm

The Great Zo wrote:
bert425 wrote:What time did y'all get up?

We were up at 5:45 and at front of breakers by 6. First shuttle was full when we got there but 2nd one was right behind it.

We were at front gate and lined up 10 minutes before they started letting folks check in

Bert's info is interesting -- because I had no idea the shuttles were running that early. No one ever published when the shuttles would start (I probably should have asked) but based on Tony's response to a tweet, I had believed they weren't going to start running until 630 AM. I got to the hotel entrance at about 625 AM, the first shuttle I saw was at 635 AM (it filled up) and then I got on the next shuttle at about 650 AM.

It's far from a deal-breaking issue or anything. Just, maybe as plans are revised for next year, having the shuttle plan set/published in advance might make it a little easier for everyone.

that's one of the issues that I had with Breakers. . . the employees, while trying, really seemed to be lost (I'll have some examples in my trip report). . but specific to the shuttle:

we couldn't find any info on it anywhere, and the employees we asked at check in didn't even know Coastermania! was happening the next day.

so we checked before going to bed on Thursday, and the folks at front desk said just come down and tell them we want a shuttle and they will call one for us. So I asked, "Even at 6am?". . and they said yes, so that's what we planned to do. . . but upon showing up at front desk, they just directed us out front and said shuttles had already been called.

as noted, 1st shuttle filled up completely with folks who were already out there, but the driver said there was another shuttle right behind (and it did show up less than 1 minute later).

sorry y'all hit a snag with it. . during morning ERT, we were able to hit Gatekeeper x2, Valravn x2 (and talk to Josh), Raptor once, and Millennium Force x2 before park even opened for early entry (Rougarou was down). . . and we were taking our time.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:18 am

I really need to make it to CoasterMania one year.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Wildfire, Boulder Dash, Balder, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:08 pm

So many beautiful photos, Andy! :)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$$

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Sluggo77 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:05 pm

Absolutely awesome report. Thanks for sharing!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!