Volcano Bay Water Theme Park - Universal Studios Orlando

P. 1 - Volcano Bay Media Day and Grand Opening TR
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Re: Volcano Bay Water Theme Park - Universal Studios Orlando

Postby disneyfan1313 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:07 pm

So this weekend should be VERY interesting for Volcano Bay. Did they learn from what they experienced last weekend?

So far since opening they have...

- Opened the 2nd lazy river to help with "non reservation" capacity.
- Added a wait time sign (with chalk!) to help people make smarter decisions on reservations.
- Stopped selling express in park on most days.

What they haven't done...

- Found a way to address 300+ minute waits for simple water slides.
- Apparently the downtimes are just as bad.
- Driving by during the day this week, the lines were still almost to the bottom of the slide towers AFTER you waited your virtual wait.

With gay days in town and more schools off, this should be another very busy weekend for them. I'll be checking #VolcanoBay on twitter to see if they are getting just as many complaints as before!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby lord denning » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 am

Now that the rush to be there for opening weekend is over they should put a lower cap on admissions for the near future and slowly increase as operations become more efficient and wait times more understood.

Not an operations expert but my guess understanding how bottlenecks and queue theories work is that just a 10% reduction in attendance would have a massive impact on the in-park experience and the good word of mouth (plus exclusivity effect) would pay off in the long run.

The issue with Tapu Tapu isn't that the system itself is flawed rather with operations and lack of data. Disney had years of data to use before doing fast pass plus reservations and here we go with 15 different attractions with no data on load times, time of day fluctuations, or breakdowns.
Using Tapatalk

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby TBpony414 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:49 pm

I can't even imagine standing around for 2-4 hours (or more!) for a water slide, and not even being able to wait for others in the meantime. That's just insanity. However, the place looks really amazing - great TR!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:38 am

When I read reviews on TripAdvisor I usually do so with a shade of skepticism, throw out the really bad and really good ones and kind of look for the average consensus on things (mostly hotels, never really read theme park reviews), but holy cow people are absolutely destroying Volcano Bay on there. 97 total reviews and 71 of them are "Terrible" or "Poor".

Anyone heard if the wait time issues have improved any lately?

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby KarlaKoaster » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:44 am

I think people would be more forgiving if they weren't charging full admission. The park is basically in technical rehearsal and not offering a full experience, yet they are expecting people to pay full price.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby BigBad » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:15 pm

I think it would be quite reasonable to offer a discounted admission or pay-per-ride plan, but that wouldn't do much to quell the (warranted) criticism.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby The49er » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Hilltopper39 wrote:Anyone heard if the wait time issues have improved any lately?

One of my friends was at Volcano Bay yesterday and said that waits were generally around two hours and the slides had downtime issues, but he still had a good time. Granted, he wasn't the one paying for admission, so I suppose you could take it with a grain of salt...
Last Park: SFMM / Last Credit: Superman Escape from Krypton / Credit Count: 66
Top 5 Wood: SCBB Giant Dipper, Gold Striker, GhostRider pre-refurb, CGA Grizzly, Colossus
Top 5 Steel: Twisted Colossus, X2, Joker, Tatsu, Alpengeist

Next Park: ?
Next Credit: ?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:37 pm

Stupid question but how are water slides having frequent downtime issues? They're water slides...

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Hope they can figure out the mechanical issues and the wait times soon. The park looks gorgeous!

How long have they had water running through the pipes? Have they only had water running a couple months? No idea what it takes to get a waterpark approved but I haven't experienced any slides being shut down outside of staffing issues.
Chi life, live music, coasters, and traveling the world.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby bobbie68 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:30 pm

coasterbill wrote:Stupid question but how are water slides having frequent downtime issues? They're water slides...

HI from what I heard on one of my other sites is they are having multiple problems.

1. A couple of pumps broke
2. The chemical levels in the water have been off
3. A conveyor belt broke
4. The sensors to let people know when to go have been off.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!