Volcano Bay Water Theme Park - Universal Studios Orlando

P. 1 - Volcano Bay Media Day and Grand Opening TR
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: Volcano Bay Water Theme Park - Universal Studios Orlando

Postby Satans Hockey » Sat May 27, 2017 11:55 am

Great report! I'm curious to see how they get all the kinks worked out for this. The place looks awesome though!

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Sat May 27, 2017 11:55 am

So media day went well but as soon as it was open to the public everything they were banking on being "revolutionary" (read - done years ago by Disney) failed miserably? Sounds about right for Universal.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat May 27, 2017 4:05 pm

I really hope they figure out the virtual queue. It looks unusable right now from your report and a ton of other people online. I'm also a little bummed that you have to have a tube for the lazy river. I never understood that policy especially as it seems so random that some parks do it and some parks don't. We're really looking forward to trying the park out once they get all of the issues fixed, it looks great!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat May 27, 2017 4:26 pm

If you read on Twitter the park is getting absolutely murdered due to all the problems with Tapu Tapu. I don't understand why they just don't turn it off right now at least for ride reservations and let people stand in a normal queue until they get things fixed. Aside from that, people seem to be enjoying the park, so why not remove the one issue that seems to be frustrating so many people?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sat May 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Hopefully that get that resolved soon, but I agree...turn it off for now until they get it fixed the right way.

Thanks for sharing the report, the park looks beautiful & the food and drink options look great! :lover:

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sat May 27, 2017 10:57 pm

Assuming the TapuTapu works as designed, on a scale of "so easy, a caveman could do it" to "rocket science," how easy is it to use/explain to guests how it works?
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Garet » Sat May 27, 2017 11:56 pm

I've made my negative feelings clear on reservation only in another topic when some Korean water parks or theme parks have tested by making 3 rides/slides in the park reservation only but I do worry that a lot of the problems in your TR are one's that never seemed to go away here when it was tried even months later.

1) Even with reservation hitting a standby line. Big roller-coasters running 3 trains would still have 15-20 minute lines with reservation only so obviously with a water slide it was going to be worse. They can reduce the numbers but that leads me to point 2...

2) The reservations here would run out stupidly early on busy days. And again this is a coaster with a much higher PPH than water slides. If they did adjust the numbers to reduce standby I can see them running out stupidly early. I should point out that the systems here didn't use wait times like VB but return time slots, same as fast-pass but it's essentially the same. On peak days the tickets around midday were gone.

3) Sometimes you'd only be there for the coaster and if you had a ticket for 6 hours later, you kind of just ending up sitting around or giving up. I know they say it reduces your wait but I'd rather just stick it out for 90 minutes at 2 P.M. than sit around until 6 P.M. for a 20 minute line.

4) This one might sound stupid but it always felt like the time-slots controlled my day and I lost my freedom in the park, constantly checking the clock. I know using q bots/fast pass is also on a time slot but i still had the freedom of choice to hop into standbys. For VB you have to gamble grabbing the short lines first and risk the longer ones selling out or grab a long slide and sit around.

5) This one doesn't apply to VB so much but it was incredibly frustrating to see half empty trains go round at times because the next slot hadn't started yet. If I was to make this a VB situation I guess something similar would be seeing empty-ish body slides with 5 minute wait times and not being allowed on because you have a 180 time elsewhere.

Honestly, I really hope they work it out as they get more data and can adjust but I really hope it doesn't result in reducing numbers and affecting guests from waiting. People moaned enough that Jimmy Fallon would run out, I can only imagine being told 4-5 hours into your water park day that half the slides are now off limits.
Last edited by Garet on Sun May 28, 2017 3:38 am.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby WestCoasterKing » Sun May 28, 2017 1:06 am

Isn't Moana Disney?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun May 28, 2017 3:54 am

Great report, thank you very much! This park looks beautiful and well done in every way that doesn't involve Tapu Tapu. It seems our fears were well founded, especially as you mentioned you left the park due to not being able to do anything for 4 hours while having Krakatoa reserved.... It's also a pretty terrible thing to still have to stand in line even after having virtually queued. That's not a good guest experience at all. Being frustrated in a beautiful space is not exactly what people are going for.

Hoping by the time we get to Orlando they have all this fixed. If not, there's Aquatica and the two Disney waterparks, and we can spend our waterpark day at one of them instead.
Top Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Phoenix 3. El Toro 4. Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. Millennium Force 2. Skyrush 3. Magnum XL-200 4. Diamondback 5. Maverick
Top Parks: 1. Disneyland 2. Dollywood 3. Silver Dollar City 4. Knoebels 5. Holiday World

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun May 28, 2017 3:58 am

Having to wait an extra half hour after you've been told that you're "ready to ride" on your wristband is...unreal. I'd deal with ten minutes or even fifteen on a busy day, especially if it's for an attraction where the queue is used for story set-up, but not a half hour. That would make me very upset as an uninformed guest, as my "virtual queue" turned out to basically just be a "queue queue". Waiting in line to wait in line.

Is the children's area on the virtual queue system? Please say no.

The park environment looks pretty good though. The attraction entrance signage is probably my favorite part, followed by all the different funny "costumes" for the tikis.
A new urban amusement park? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my portfolio on Wordpress!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!