Volcano Bay Water Theme Park - Universal Studios Orlando

P. 1 - Volcano Bay Media Day and Grand Opening TR
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Volcano Bay Water Theme Park - Universal Studios Orlando

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:01 am

This week, TPR was invited to join in the festivities of the Volcano Bay media day and grand opening event at Universal Studios Orlando! We have a TON of pictures to share with you and our thoughts on the park will be interspersed with the pictures throughout the trip report.

Spanning 25 fully immersive acres and featuring something for everyone – from perfected relaxation to incredible thrills – Volcano Bay is unlike any other water park in world. It offers an immersive environment filled with unbelievable detail and innovative technology to enhance fun and remove hassles. Volcano Bay features:
More than 30 experiences including 18 unique attractions such as a multi-directional wave pool with sandy beaches, a peaceful winding river, twisting multi-rider raft rides, speeding body slides that drop from the top of the volcano into the waters below and more.
The TapuTapu wearable – included with guest admission and specifically designed for use within Universal’s Volcano Bay. Features of TapuTapu include:
Virtual Line Access: TapuTapu allows guests to virtually wait in line for rides while enjoying other areas of the park. Their wearable will simply alert them when it’s time for their ride.
TapTu Play: Guests can enjoy many TapTu Play experiences throughout the park - like controlling streams of water spurting from whales in Tot Tiki Reef, shooting water cannons at guests snaking down Kopiko Wai Winding River, illuminating images in the volcano’s hidden caves and more.
TapTu Pay: Guests can make purchases throughout the entire park with their TapuTapu wearable, eliminating the need to carry cash, credit cards or a wallet throughout the park.
TapTu Snap/My Universal Photo Access: Guests can take advantage of special interactive photo opportunities and selfie-spots throughout the park as well as photo opportunities on Volcano Bay’s attractions. Their wearable will automatically link those photos to their account so that guests can view, share and purchase them at their convenience.
fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo Access: After renting their fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, guests will be able to access them with a touch of their TapuTapu wearable.
Beautifully-themed dining locations featuring more than 60 delicious, South Pacific-inspired dishes – ranging from jerk mahi sandwiches to fresh island chicken salad to decadent chocolate pineapple upside down cake.
For more information about Universal’s Volcano Bay, visit http://www.universalorlando.com.

First things first - the park is BEAUTIFUL! Lush and tropical horticulture everywhere you turn with some very unique tropical plants as well. The park also has a GREAT selection of water slides that run through the full list of what you would expect in a world class water park. The food is also phenomenal - you will see in the report how they have a better selection and quality of food than you will find in many non-Orlando theme parks!

On the flip side, they have work to do with the TapuTapu virtual wait system. Think of it like Fastpass - you can reserve ONE "basic" slide and possibly the water coaster. The basic slides have had waits in excess of 60-90 minutes and the water coaster has been in the 200-300 minute range. Here is where the downside comes in - while you are waiting for those, you can't do ANY other slide. You can experience the wave pool, lazy rivers or lounge on the beach. Then once your time comes up, you still have a wait (usually to the bottom of the slide tower - 30 minutes or so) before you can ride. That is leading to some frustration with their guests and will need to be tweaked as their operation continues. They are also having some normal grand opening jitters with efficiency and continual downtimes which hopefully will get tweaked over the coming weeks.

I'm looking forward to returning when some of these bugs are worked out and the park is a little less crowded. It is a GREAT "hang out" kind of water park. I didn't notice a shortage of chairs of beach space and the cabanas (for an upcharge) are beautiful. Express Pass is available but it doesn't bypass the line at the slide, just the virtual wait.

Anyways - on to the photos! Please feel free to ask questions about our experiences!
VB1.JPG
OMG! I *LOVE* themed USB drives. How cute is this tiki one? This really shows the care that went into branding this park.
VB2.jpg
We are checked in and ready to go!
VB3.jpg
To get to Volcano Bay you must park in the main Universal Orlando parking structure. A shuttle bus is then provided to the drop off point.
VB4.jpg
Where you walk underground?!!?!? In Florida!?! This is already starting to be an adventure!
VB5.jpg
It is time to take the tunnel! This is feeling very Indiana Jones-esque.
VB6.jpg
Hello tiki gods! Don't let this tunnel collapse!
VB7.jpg
We made it!
VB8.jpg
I really like this entrance plaza. Lots of room and a cool photo op.
VB9.JPG
And I love the fountains at the entrance signs. You can get wet before you even buy your tickets!
VB10.jpg
This big boat will be the ticket sales location if you don't buy them in advance or in the parking garage.
VB11.jpg
I AM HUNGRY TIKI GOD! GIVE ME YOUR PLANTS!
VB12.jpg
Height requirement signs for those interested!
VB13.jpg
At the entrance the Universal Team Member will scan your ticket, your fingerprint and issue you your TapuTapu.
VB14.jpg
It uses RFID technology to link it to you.
VB15.jpg
And this is the first view of the volcano.. HOLY CRAP that is beautiful!
VB16.JPG
Mandatory selfie time!
Last edited by disneyfan1313 on Sat May 27, 2017 11:16 am.

Re: Volcano Bay Water Theme Park - Universal Studios Orlando

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:11 am

Part TWO!
VB17.jpg
fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo are plentiful throughout the park and use your TapuTapu to unlock.
VB18.JPG
Simply tap, pay the $12 or $15 depending on size and you have a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo for the day!
VB19.jpg
Even the changing rooms are VERY nice with private rooms.
VB20.JPG
Time to check out some slides! These are the "normal" tube slides. Lots of fun!
VB21.JPG
Wheeeeee!
VB22.jpg
Gotta check out the water coaster next! KRAKATAU! What cool themed vehicles!
VB23.jpg
NOTED!
VB24.jpg
The coolest part of the water coaster is going INTO the volcano. Unfortunately there isn't theming inside, but it is cool to see!
VB25.jpg
There are lots of airtime opportunities on this.
VB26.jpg
It is a LONG ride!
VB27.JPG
All the slide areas have great theming at pool and ground level.
VB28.jpg
These stations are set up at every slide entrance point.
VB29.jpg
You tap your TapuTapu band and you will get a return time loaded onto it. These waits have been hovering in the 60-250 minute range since opening.
VB30.jpg
The TapuTapu band was surprisingly comfortable and secure.
VB31.jpg
You can also use it at two "selfie spots"!
VB32.jpg
Scan your TapuTapu and the tiki statue will take your picture and you can view and purchase it later!
VB33.JPG
Time for a snack...how about Volcano Bay exclusive Dippin Dots!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:19 am

Part 3!
VB34.jpg
Volcano Bay has some amazing bars and drinks - not surprising for a Universal Studios park! This watermelon drink was to die for!
VB35.jpg
Even Moana has a slide here! ;)
VB36.JPG
The large raft rides were GREAT! Lots of thrills!
VB37.JPG
Stacey is getting nervous...
VB38.JPG
This is her OMFG face!
VB39.JPG
OK - now she is having fun again... :)
VB40.JPG
Can't wait to try these again when all the water effects are working.
VB41.jpg
You really work up an appetite at water parks... time for lunch!
VB42.JPG
The menu is extensive and tasty at each location.
VB43.JPG
OMG! BBQ! I know what I am getting.
VB44.jpg
No joke - these were some of the best ribs I have EVER had. And the chocolate pineapple cake is worth going out of your way to get.
VB44a.jpg
They are also doing these grab and go options at each location. Perfect for a water park.
VB44b.jpg
Too many choices!
VB44c.jpg
I had a burger the next day and it was great also.
VB45.jpg
Cabanas are hugely popular at water parks around the world and Volcano Bay was built with this in mind.
VB46.jpg
Two story ones are a great idea, you can choose if you want the top or bottom or you can rent both with a large party!
VB47.jpg
The slides at the front of the mountain are integrated so well to the rock structure!
VB47a.jpg
Each slide has a check in point at the entrance where they will scan your TapuTapu.

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:27 am

Part 4!
VB48.jpg
Almost every view in Volcano Bay at ground level is lush and tropical!
VB49.jpg
I haven't ridden one of these slides since River Country closed!
VB50.jpg
Of course if you are brave, you can DROP all the way from the top of the volcano!
VB51.jpg
PLENTY of seating on beach chairs throughout the park. It didn't seem to be an issue getting a spot either day.
VB52.jpg
Even the bridges are themed!
VB53.jpg
There are also a couple of large themed bars with plenty of shaded space to hang out.
VB55.jpg
Both themed to boats! These are proving to be popular already!
VB56.jpg
TOO MANY GOOD CHOICES!!!
VB57.jpg
Everything we tried was DELICIOUS!
VB58.jpg
Each slide also has a nicely themed sign.
VB59.jpg
They were still working on some paths, but this will eventually take you through the volcano.
VB60.jpg
You really can't get enough photos of this!
VB61.jpg
The wave pool is generous in size with a good size beach to match. Even on capacity days it shouldn't feel too crowded.
VB62.jpg
The new tower at Cabana Bay Resort overlooks the park - that would be a cool room to have!
VB63.jpg
Time to wrap up Media day with a yummy Waturi Swirl ice cream!
VB64.jpg
As you leave you must drop your TapuTapu in the provided box. It then deactivates.
VB65.JPG
We return a few hours later for the grand opening VIP event. This was supposed to be in the park, but Mother Nature had other ideas!
VB66.JPG
Creating a sand castle logo in real time!
VB67.jpg
...and carving a tiki statue with a chainsaw!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:37 am

Part 5!
VB68.jpg
We even got to meet some of the "residents" of Volcano Bay!
VB69.JPG
You could even get a hat made out of palm fronds.
VB70.JPG
Universal does impressive displays at their events. The one for the sushi table had a fish ice carving and a huge real fish!
VB71.jpg
Giant roast pig for the pork sliders!
VB72.jpg
Huge volcano made of chocolate for the deserts!
VB73.jpg
Their events team does a really great job!
VB74.jpg
Musical guests included an authentic Hawaiian "swing" band.
VB75.jpg
I AM GIANT ICE TIKI!!
VB76.jpg
We also enjoyed music from an award winning folk duo from New Zealand.
VB77.jpg
OMG! This guy was crawling around surprising people!
VB78.JPG
The highlight of the night was the authentic tribal group that Universal flew in from New Zealand from the opening.
VB79.JPG
They had an intense performance that felt like it was out of a movie!
VB80.JPG
This guy will haunt your nightmares!
VB81.JPG
Heading out to see the sand art is complete!
VB82.JPG
And so is the tiki statue! How cool!
VB83.JPG
We are back bright and early for the grand opening ceremony. We get to be some of the first to ride in the new Volcano Bay busses!
VB84.jpg
Wow! Even with a slightly overcast sky it is incredibly beautiful!
VB85.jpg
The Today Show was filming throughout the morning.
VB86.JPG
The drummers from last night are set up and ready to go!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:51 am

Part 6!
VB87.JPG
The opening ceremony was authentically Polynesian - including the blowing of the conch shell!
VB88.jpg
HASHTAG THE PANDA SPOTTING!
VB89.jpg
Huge crowd of media from throughout the world and invited VIP guests!
VB90.jpg
All these talented performers made the opening very special.
VB91.jpg
Oh no! It is the scary tongue guy again!
VB92.jpg
This is probably the only time you will see canoes in the wave pool!
VB93.jpg
Volcano Bay is officially open!
VB94.jpg
I can't lie - I really want to stay in one of those rooms in the new Cabana Bay tower and watch the park overnight!
VB95.jpg
After a quick break we are back to see what the park is like with guests!
VB96.jpg
OMG! It is busy! The entrance process is slowed down by the TapuTapu issuing.
VB97.jpg
Fun trivia - this means Wet Wild - an homage to the old park!
VB98.jpg
Splash down time! Can't wait to ride!
VB99.jpg
Time to check out the kids area.
VB100.jpg
The kids area is really nicely themed and opened up around 1pm on opening day.
VB101.jpg
Lots of interactive elements and bright colors!
VB102.JPG
WOAH! It is a little busier today!
VB103.JPG
WAY busier. As of now, this doesn't get you right on. You will still have to wait in the normal slide line of 30 minutes once your time is up.
VB103a.jpg
You can see the lines going down the slide tower.
VB104.jpg
Those are folks who already waited in the "virtual line".

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:58 am

Part 7!
VB105.jpg
One of the lazy rivers was not ready for opening... you can tell. ;)
VB106.jpg
Mr. Frog says "clean up my water please!".
VB107.jpg
The other lazy river however was ready for fun!
VB108.jpg
Lots of good views, but a tube is required!
VB109.jpg
You even go through the volcano!
VB110.JPG
The water and mist effects were not working yet, but I am sure that will add to the experience!
VB111.jpg
Mr Frog says "I like this clean water better!".
VB112.jpg
A tube is required for everyone in the river and you must stay on it at all times.
VB113.jpg
I finally reached my virtual wait time for the Aqua Coaster! Unfortunately I still had another 40 minutes in line.
VB114.jpg
It is fun to watch while you wait!
VB115.jpg
It is deceptively long because of how it winds into the volcano!
VB116.JPG
Woah! The lines keep getting longer!
VB117.jpg
Unfortunately downtimes kept plaguing the attractions - many almost constantly.
VB118.jpg
I love the tiki god with starfish boobs!
VB119.jpg
The merchandise stores are very nicely themed with large selections of interesting products.
VB120.jpg
This one you have to walk through to get to the other side of the park... smart!

I am annoying as f**k!!!

Postby Henry M » Sat May 27, 2017 11:00 am

Great report! Shame about the virtual queue not working. It looks like a great idea for a water park, and I guess the issues are just due to getting used to operations.
Note to self: don't be stupid...

Current top coaster = Expedition GeForce.

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:08 am

Part 8!
VB121.jpg
They have a ton of great merchandise! Love the angry tiki shirt!
VB122.jpg
Things for everyone in your family!
VB123.jpg
The park also is having some challenges with guests crowding around return points - similar to what WDW used to experience with Fastpass.
VB124.JPG
The park didn't reach capacity on opening day, but many parts felt very crowded since guests had nothing to do.
VB125.JPG
Yowsers! It keeps going up and up!
VB126.JPG
And by 3pm, if you hadn't reserved your time for the Aqua Coaster, you were out of luck for the day.
VB127.JPG
Good thing I had min reserved, although I ended up deciding to leave before that time since I couldn't do anything else.
VB128.jpg
You can see the slide lines going up the volcano stairs.
VB129.jpg
It is very nice to not have to carry your raft up any slide!
VB129a.JPG
They hadn't nailed down their GoPro policy by opening day, some slide operators would let you, some wouldn't. They will need to figure this out soon!

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:14 am

Part 9!
VB130.jpg
Pathways in some parts of the park felt fine, others overly crowded.
VB131.JPG
Horticulture is insanely beautiful!
VB132.jpg
The theming is really fun and detailed throughout the park.
VB133.jpg
It is really tough to not get a good photo with the volcano in the background!
VB135.jpg
I am looking forward to coming back and visiting the park at night. See you soon Volcano Bay!

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!