Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Lake George, Mini Golfing, and a Mountain Coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:08 pm

That'd be awesome news! I had a feeling their replacement coaster would have been something like a wild mouse but that has me excited. I would love to finally see a wooden coaster by the Atlantic again.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:05 am

Boston Children's Museum looks pretty great. We've been to a number of children's museums, so some of the exhibits are somewhat familiar. Oklahoma City has a roller coaster marble thing like that, and we had so much fun with it.

Keep this up! Love seeing cool places like these that are very far from me.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:19 am

Thanks! I haven't really explored other children's museums but that'll be something after I have kids.

Though the City Museum is something that is going to happen much sooner.
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby adamico2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:22 pm

cfc wrote:I approve of Funtown's choice of "Fire on High" for their scrambler.

It was a sad day when Seabreeze removed their Gyrosphere, though they had stopped playing "Fire on High" several seasons before it closed.

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:22 am

I need some cock flavoring! I'm guessing it may be salty.
thumb_cock_flavoured.jpg
If you drink a lot of pineapple juice, I'm told it's rather sweet.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:30 pm

:lmao:

Is there any other way to flavor that?

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:31 pm

Berkshire Mountain Coaster & Lake George

Last weekend, we made a quick day trip up to Lake George. My girlfriend had never been and it had been a few years since I visited what I consider the mini golf capital of the world. I made a pit stop at the Great Escape on the way home from Pennsylvania earlier this year to ride the Comet, but skipped it on this trip since she didn't have a season pass and I couldn't justify spending a majority of our day there with everything else available in the area. It felt like a foreign concept driving by a Six Flags park like that, but this one is also among the chain's weakest.

We did however get our roller coaster fix in at the Berkshire Mountain Resort. Instead of forking over cash to Massachusetts to take the Pike (they already get enough of my taxes), we took the scenic route. This allowed us to pass the most depressing fair ever (they only had a VHS sale, kiddie pool, and some paintings), an awesome looking fair that wasn't open yet by Reithoffer Shows, and most importantly the Berkshire Mountain Resort, which is home to one of the best mountain coasters out there.

The resort also has mountain biking if you are coordinated enough to not kill yourself and a great looking ropes course. But I wasted no time signing my life away to board the Thunderbolt Mountain Coaster. Unfortunately, it did have a bit of a wait (20 minutes), but the staff was doing a great job spacing everyone out so there was no one close to you. I'll happily wait 20 minutes to make sure I can get a ride at full tilt than to have a mother and daughter riding like it's a school zone down the mountain.

This mountain coaster is the longest I've been on and it's currently the longest in North America until the new one at Copper Mountain opens. Along with being a crazy long ride, this one is more intense. There are 5-6 little dips that give pops of air on the way down and the first few turns in particular are taken very fast and produce some amazing laterals. I'm a major fan of mountain coasters and this one along with the one at Attitash are in a class of their own. 9 out of 10

IMG_20170826_134231.jpg
5 minutes later you will reach the top.

IMG_20170826_135205.jpg
You get actual airtime on this one!

Two hours later, we reached Lake George and Route 9 which is one of those strips in a tourist trap town with all sorts of food, motels, and mini golf courses. Lake George is also a town proud of its history, so if you are a history buff you will also find all sorts of forts and historical reenactment areas. I'm not kidding about the latter, every tenth person I saw walking down the street was dressed like George Washington or Abigail Adams. No thank you; I'll stick with my $4 Lake George T-Shirts.

IMG_20170826_165917.jpg
"An" historical impact... Whoever printed this is clearly from the south.

And of course there is a huge lake. We considered hiking but didn't realize just how large Lake George was since most of the good hiking trails were 35-45 minute trips from the town of Lake George. We decided to see the lake the American way and just drive up to the lake. Since it was a beautiful 70-75 degree day, we saw tons of people out on boats or parasailing. After dipping my toes into the frigid water, I was strongly against it.

IMG_20170826_184324.jpg
Lake George is really beautiful.

IMG_20170826_184506.jpg
Note the lack of people in the lake. That dog was the only brave soul in the water.

The first mini golf course we stopped at was Goony Golf. I am a sucker for mini golf courses with obstacles, so this course was wacky enough for me. Every hole had some type of obstacle to go through and some of them were truly crazy with my favorite being the dinosaur with a caveman on a yo-yo (yes you read that right). They also had a little arcade with some older games I hadn't seen in a while such as the skeeball variant with the basketball hoops.

IMG_20170826_172541.jpg
Goony Golf is a very apt name.

IMG_20170826_175041.jpg
The caveman is literally on the dinosaur's yo-yo. That's amazing.

IMG_20170826_174612.jpg
The ghost on the left pretty much looks like a scrotum.

IMG_20170826_175423.jpg
That's a menacing looking bird.

As amazing as Goony Golf is (it's probably in the top 5 of courses I have played), the two courses down the road are significantly better. That's not a knock on Goony Golf at all. Rather it's just how amazing the Around the US and Around the World mini golf courses are. Situated right next to the lake, there are two very well themed 18 hole courses with some of the best obstacles anywhere.

IMG_20170826_184711.jpg
This is hands down the best mini golf course I've been to.

Around the US could only represent 18 of the states with holes (though they creatively made a Golden Gate bridge walkway), but they did a good job mixing in states from all regions of the country. Some of the highlights include the Texas hole that combines an oil refinery and football, the Las Vegas roulette hole (you launch the ball into a roulette and have a 1/4 chance of getting a 1, 2, 3, or 4, or if you're me you have a 100% chance of getting the 4), and the New York hole. The latter is a very well themed subway station (right down to the graffiti) that gives you a chance to win a free game.

IMG_20170826_190934.jpg
Oil refinery? Check. Dallas Cowboys? Check. State Pride? Check. This hole sums up Texas perfectly.

IMG_20170826_191945.jpg
I swear I always get the 4 on this hole. This is why I will never gamble in Vegas.

IMG_20170826_192436.jpg
New Jersey had a cool hole too where you had to go through this carousel.

IMG_20170826_194039.jpg
The subway is the highlight though. The attention to detail is amazing.

IMG_20170826_194151.jpg
You can try to win a free game, lost some strokes on your score, or fail spectacularly like me.

Of the two, I prefer Around the World and I think that's a consensus judging by the crowds at this course compared to the stateside one. In an hour I was able to avoid being raped by Paul Bunyan in Canada, have Napoleon go all Captain Morgan on my golf ball, and smash a kangaroo in the face. The latter is involved with the best and most dangerous mini golf hole I have ever seen.

For Australia, there is a kangaroo. If you hit the ball off a ski jump and into the pouch, you get -2 of your score. You can either take this challenge or be boring and safely putt around the kangaroo. Thankfully no one intentionally does the latter since the results are hysterical. 5 out of 10 people miss the kangaroo entirely, 4 out of 10 drill the kangaroo somewhere other than the pouch, and 1 out of 10 will launch the ball into the parking lot or onto another hole. You may think I accidentally missed hitting the ball in the pouch, but I didn't. It's really dang hard to do so. My sister did it a long time ago, but that's the only successful shot I've witnessed. You still have to go for it though.

IMG_20170826_194959.jpg
Beer for Germany. How fitting with Oktoberfest coming up.

IMG_20170826_200836.jpg
Paul Bunyan looks like he is going to rape you.

IMG_20170826_202751.jpg
Napoleon decided to Captain Morgan my ball and I somehow got my ball stuck under that yellow plate.

IMG_20170826_203714.jpg
The infamous kangaroo hole. You are going to fail hitting it in that pouch, but you have to try.

We also explored the village for a bit. The place was buzzing at 9-11 at night. I'm not sure if this is the usual crowds or if it was larger because of the big Mayweather-McGregor fight that was happening that night. We got some great pizza at a place called Pizza Jerks, found a book store going out of business and almost bought the Great Big Book of Sex and a Children's Bible for $5 total (we really wanted to see the clerk's reaction), and stopped in a few arcades. The arcades ranged from older style games to the phone app/Dave and Buster style games.

IMG_20170826_222156.jpg
So many tourist trap activities. This was a hybrid kiddie park/arcade.

IMG_20170826_222142.jpg
We saw a drunk girl come out screaming and then run across the street yelling her name. That seems like a smart decision.

IMG_20170826_220657.jpg
Big Bertha finally escaped after all these years.

The closest we got to the Great Escape was when we stopped for ice cream at Martha's across the street. After losing 2/3 rounds of mini golf, I owed her an ice cream. This place has the largest soft serve cones you will ever see as the large is 2 feet tall! Seriously Yelp this place if you want to see the largest ice cream cone you will ever see. And it was only $4 to boot.

IMG_20170826_224524.jpg
This is the closest we got to the Great Escape. You can see Sasquatch towering in the background.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:17 am

Almost made it to Great Escape this year when I was in Albany, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Had I known some awesome mini golf was up there, I probably would have made it for sure. Just means I'll have to take a trip next time I'm somewhat in the area. Thanks for the non-theme park reviews, too! We love stuff like that.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:27 pm

For a tourist town, the main stretch of Lake George is really nice. They definitely have enough activities to stay busy for a long weekend.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!