Best Programs & Deals to Save Money on Coaster Trips

Where are my fellow cheap a**es at?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
X is the best. Tatsu sucks.

Re: Best Programs & Deals to Save Money on Coaster Trips

Postby smartestcoasterkidever! » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:09 am

I flew on WOW from Paris to Toronto this last Monday. My flight was $200.

I was worried about traveling on a budget airline for such a big journey. All WOW flights stop in Iceland, so the trip was divided between a 3 hour flight and a 6 hour flight, with a one-hour stop in between. I have to say, I was very impressed with this airline. While I did have my bag under the seat in front of me, I could rearrange it or put it in my lap and I was able to completely stretch out my legs. I’m 5’11” with long legs and I struggle with leg room all the time, so this was a huge surprise. Every seat has the foldable headrest, reclining seats (funny I have to mention this, but budget airlines are taking this feature out,) and power outlets! No free drinks or food, but eh. For such cheap fares, it’s worth it.

I am SO excited that WOW is flying out of Cleveland next year. To the European members on this board, this is a super cheap way to get to Cedar Point!

Many of WOW’s low fares come from promotions. Sign up for their emails and you’ll get deals all the time. Usually their deals are for trips way in advance which is more helpful than airlines saying “fly this weekend for cheap!”

Icelandair also announced they’re flying out of Cleveland next year. I’m planning a trip back to Europe in May and I found a roundtrip flight on WOW to amsterdam for $430, but that includes no bags. But Icelandair has a flight from Cleveland WITH bags (and I think food?) for $480. So the options are getting better and cheaper!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:31 am

^ That's awesome! WOW has absolutely insane prices. I'm glad to hear the experience was decent enough, I was hesitant to book with them until I heard some feedback since anything I'd use them for would be a LONG flight.

ElvisLuv wrote:Anywho, Barclay's is offering an American Airlines Aviator Red Card with 60,000 mile bonus for making a single purchase. There is a 95 dollars yearly fee. A couple could each get one and take several round trips together for basically 200 bucks. Cancel the card after you have used up the points and before the anniversary date comes around so you don't get hit for the annual fee again. The card also offers some free luggage perks.

That's awesome! I've got to look into this!

PS: Frontier (wasn't I just talking about them?) has a 90% off sale going on right now. Yes... 90% off using the promo code "Fall90".

This comes off PRIOR to taxes and fees, many routes are blacked out and Fridays and Sundays are blacked out but there's some great stuff here. I booked a flight from Washington DC to Las Vegas last night for like $70 round trip (per person).

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby RCjunkie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:47 am

^ Vegas + coasterbill + alcohol + El Loco = probably one hell of a trip report. Good stuff, can't wait.

Postby smartestcoasterkidever! » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 pm

^^Yesterday I booked another flight with WOW. I booked a roundtrip flight for next May from Cleveland to Amsterdam for... drum roll..... $380. That’s not a typo. Very, very satisfied with WOW, and with how low the fares are, it outweighs the cons of being a budget airline.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby ElvisLuv » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:07 am

smartestcoasterkidever! wrote:^^Yesterday I booked another flight with WOW. I booked a roundtrip flight for next May from Cleveland to Amsterdam for... drum roll..... $380. That’s not a typo. Very, very satisfied with WOW, and with how low the fares are, it outweighs the cons of being a budget airline.

I think i've mentioned it before but Norwegian will be getting the A321LR starting in 2019. This will offer low prices without the stop in Iceland. That will up up even more routes. Another thing is Boeing officially established a disign office for a 797. It is to cover 4500 to 5500nm , twin aisle with 200 to 250 seats. This will allow airlines to fly just about any America/Western Europe route they want without having to put a larger plane like an A330 or 787 on it. 10 year from now connectivity from the US to Europe is going to be amazing and much cheaper.

Postby smartestcoasterkidever! » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:42 am

^I can’t wait!

With all of these low-cost carriers expanding and creating competition, do you think we’ll see major air carriers lowering fares in the next few years?

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby ALT2870 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:50 am

smartestcoasterkidever! wrote:^I can’t wait!

With all of these low-cost carriers expanding and creating competition, do you think we’ll see major air carriers lowering fares in the next few years?

They already do, you just have to look carefully. Ex. I booked a flight from Aspen to Dallas and back, $173 each way. Last year I was able to get LaGuardia to Denver for $120. One word, Tuesday, Tuesday by far is the best day to book air travel.

Also, legacy carriers are now offering basic economy fares as well. The fact is, air travel is less expensive then it was 30-40 years ago.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby ElvisLuv » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:58 pm

smartestcoasterkidever! wrote:^I can’t wait!

As more variants of the 787 get out there you are seeing new routes. Just look at British announcing g Nashville, and New Orleans recenty. Those are 787 routes. The proposed Boeing would take it to another level. Norwegian has talked up service Memphis on several occassions but haven't quite the right sized bird to do it yet. Since my hometown is Memphis, I see things in a blues tinted shades, here's this chart
[img]http://www.anna.aero/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Top-25-unserved-US-markets.jpg
[/img]
Memphis gets over 2 million international tourists a year without a direct flight. Research from Austin and New Orleans that gets larger with a direct flight. Those tourist stay on average 3 nights. To put those numbers in to perspective, Kansas City has over 13 million passengers a year. Memphis get 4.5 million. That shows that lots of KC's traffic is US originating while Memphis is the destination. Both show that with the right sized aircraft that they could handle 2x to 3x a week flights to a major airport in Europe during peak season. In the case of Memphis, you would likely stimulate demand because Norwegian would offer fares likely more than half of what TATL travel via connecting with a US carrier charges. London, for example, is usually $1,200 or higher for a round trip. Norwegian offer g fares at 500 bucks R/T is a whole new whole. It was just 6 or 7 years ago when it was a Delta hub that the only nonstops to Orlando from MEM was 2,000 bucks for a family of for. It could feasibly be London or Paris or Barcelona for that if 2020 if the A321LR has the legs to do MEM to Gatwick.

So, yes, They'll have to respond. American is looking into it. AIG(owners of British, Iberia, Aer Lingus)has launched Level to compete with Norwegian.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Awesome news about WOW and Norwegian guys!

Anyway this sort of sounds like a straight up advertisement but I guess that's the nature of the thread and this is so awesome that it really needs to be mentioned so here goes. For anyone who's traveling to a park between now and November 11th and isn't currently taking advantage of a hotel rewards program, Choice Hotels has a really good offer right now. I know I've talked about them before and I'm a pretty happy Choice Privileges / Choice Privileges Visa customer but this is the best offer I've seen from them. You have to play the game a little though, so this is how it works...

Essentially they're running a promotion now that allows you to stay for 2 nights and get enough points for a free third night at one of their cheaper hotels or enough points to cover a large chunk of the fee for a more expensive hotel. We just did it in Orlando and got WAY more points than we generally would have for the same stays. The best part is, the promotion runs through November 11th and there's no limit to how many times you can do it. You do need to register for the promotion, but you can keep doing this over and over.

That said you do have to know how to play the game a little bit, so here's what I've found out.

1) Obviously you need to sign up for Choice Privileges (which is free and not tied to a credit card at all unless you get it to add an extra 5 points per purchase at a Choice Hotel and you might as well since there's no annual fee. I have it and I love it but BEWARE of the interest rate). Then you have to register for the promotion at the link above.

2) DO NOT stay at the same hotel 2 nights in a row. That's a complete waste. You need 2 separate qualifying stays which means two separate stays at one of their hotels. Normally you're free to do this with Choice, but don't do it during this promotion. When we visited Busch Gardens Tampa the other day we got into town on Friday night, went to the park and Howl O Scream on Saturday (with the 1:00 close) and needed to stay right near the park on Saturday night. Ideally we would have loved to just stay at the same hotel both nights but I booked a Comfort Suites one night and a Sleep Inn the next night for no f*cking reason other than to get it to count as 2 separate stays which worked. You can't fool the system by checking out and back into the same hotel. You need to actually pick two hotels. I know it's stupid, but it's worth doing.

3) From what I can tell there's actually no benefit to staying at a nice hotel (from a points standpoint). Normally when I pay for a room and don't use points (rare since it's so easy to rack up points with Choice) I stay at Comfort Suites or Sleep Inn (which I consider to be their best offerings) since I know I get 15 points per dollar anyway so I don't mind splurging a little but with this promotion you seem to get 8000 points no matter what so I suggest racking up sh*tty Econo Lodge stays. For this trip we stayed at Comfort Suites and Sleep Inn because Busch Gardens is in a sh*tty area and we didn't want to die, but if you're not in a sh*tty area then you get more bang for your buck by staying at cheap hotels. Kind of weird, but it seems like a loophole that they overlooked. You're getting the same amount of points regardless of what you spend on the room anyway. :lol: By the way, AAA rates or other discounted rates will all work for this promotion.

4) Rooms booked at rates below $40 per night don't qualify. I know you'll never find that in most parts of the country and if you do you should run away kicking and screaming but I've actually been to a few places where you can get a decent room for $40 a night (like Las Vegas or the Midwest for example) so I figured I'd point that out.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!