Best Programs & Deals to Save Money on Coaster Trips

Where are my fellow cheap a**es at?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Re: Best Programs & Deals to Save Money on Coaster Trips

Postby BrianGC » Mon May 15, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm a very frequent user of Hotwire for hotels. The rates almost always end up a lot cheaper than booking directly with the hotel. Plus, although they don't tell you the actual hotel before you commit, they do have the Tripadvisor rating on the listing (none of the specific written reviews, though). Of course you're locked in with no cancellation, so it's best to use when you're 99% certain you're going on the trip.

Also, I've become a huge fan of Airbnb over the past year. I always stick with places that already have at least several reviews, around 4.5 stars or above. If you're a little adventurous and don't mind staying in a stranger's home (I know....sounds creepy lol), it's an amazing budget option usually. And you end up meeting some really nice people along the way.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue May 16, 2017 6:21 am

joelwee wrote:Hey coasterbill, do the free nights expire on that Choice Hotels card? That could come in handy for next year.

Not as long as you don't go 18 months without a "qualifying activity" which just means using the credit card or staying at a Choice Hotel. That won't even come close to being an issue for us.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby trice001 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:09 am

thanks

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:15 pm

Bumping this quality thread.

For those who fly frequently - PNC has a credit card that gives you two miles for every dollar you spend. Living in Chicago with 2 airports, I fly Southwest, Delta, AA, United, Porter...so I can't commit to 1 airline for a credit card so this helps me out!

https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-banking/banking/credit-cards/benefits/premier-traveler-benefits.html
Cincy -> Chicago

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:48 pm

The rewards on that card seem amazing, but I can't bring myself to paying an annual credit card fee.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Voyage, Cornball Express
Top 5 Steel- Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Millennium Force, Phantom's Revenge
Top 5 Parks- Disneyland, Knoebels, Cedar Point, Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Postby coasterbill » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:00 am

As of now I don't have a card with an annual fee but I'm not against the idea if the reward benefits are worth exponentially more than the cost of the annual fee. I don't see why anyone would have an issue with that.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:22 am

As of now I don't have a card with an annual fee but I'm not against the idea if the reward benefits are worth exponentially more than the cost of the annual fee. I don't see why anyone would have an issue with that.

PKI Jizzman wrote:Bumping this quality thread.

For those who fly frequently - PNC has a credit card that gives you two miles for every dollar you spend. Living in Chicago with 2 airports, I fly Southwest, Delta, AA, United, Porter...so I can't commit to 1 airline for a credit card so this helps me out!

https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-banking/banking/credit-cards/benefits/premier-traveler-benefits.html

That seems like a great card with a solid sign up offer. A lot of the credit card websites are comparing it to the Chase Sapphire Preferred card (a card that they generally lose their collective sh*t over) and have it coming out ahead, mainly because there are very few restrictions on what purchases earn you 2 points per dollar. The only real restrictions were put there to stop people from buying cash equivalent gift cards to artificially generate points / get the 30,000 mile bonus. I'm honestly really intrigued by this one. Also, while on the subject of artificially generating points...

DirkFunk wrote:There are forums and sites devoted to points churning. If you don't know what that is, then probably learn soon.

:lol: I've now looked into this and decided that I really don't have the energy or the patience for it. I sort of feel the same way about points churning as I do about the people on that "Extreme Couponing" show. I can appreciate it, good for them for pulling it off but there's no way I have the patience for it.

Personally I'm happy with 1 or 2 credit cards that I use on a regular basis and a few random ones I use once a month and leave open with no balance (like that stupid Amex card that got us free Universal Express passes). I definately want to earn great travel benefits, but I don't want to dedicate 1-2 hours per day to it like these people do.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:02 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:The rewards on that card seem amazing, but I can't bring myself to paying an annual credit card fee.

My IHG rewards card has an annual fee, $50 maybe, but you get a free night every year which as far as I know doesn't have any restrictions. I used a free night this past April in Key West where the nightly rate at the hotel was like $375, so a $50 fee for a $375 a night room on Duval St., I don't mind that.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Satans Hockey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:02 pm

What is everyone's preference when it comes to rental car companies? I don't rent cars often but normally use Budget because I've never had an issue with them. Some of the lower tiered rental car companies have so many bad reviews, besides the obvious stuff of people not knowing how to read and properly declining all the extra bs you don't need.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:45 pm

//DP
Last edited by ytterbiumanalyst on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:48 pm.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!