Gold Reef City, Johannesburg, South Africa

Gold Reef City in South Africa
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Gold Reef City, Johannesburg, South Africa

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:39 am

I remember back in the ole early days of the internet (and TPR) Tower of Terror was one of the most interesting rides in the world (to me). It opened for a few years, then was SBNO, it had a lift hill at one time, then converted to an elevator lift, and basically the only information anyone had about the ride was all of maybe 3 pictures that were in some random coaster books, not websites like hard copy books back when those were a thing. Not to mention those pictures were of a TWISTING VERTICAL DROP off of a mining rig into a subterranean tunnel. It was a pretty intriguing attraction.

Fast forward a decade and a half and there's a POV of everything at your finger tips and the mystique is no more. I miss the good ole days, and get off my lawn.

(awesome report by the way, really cool looking park that not a lot of people get a chance to visit.)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Chrisp » Tue May 09, 2017 12:08 am

The parks really grown, I lived in joburg in the 80s and remember GRC opening with a few rides and bars, certainly looks different now.
There did used to be a travelling theme park called Pleasureland? that had a couple of schwartzkopf coasters including a Looping Star and a lot of flat rides that came to Joburg for the Rand Show and also came just as a travelling park on its own :b

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby JacquesB » Tue May 09, 2017 1:24 am

I wish the park would add a few more rides. There hasn't been an expansion for the last few years. Looking over the park from the Giant Wheel it seems that the park is now surrounded by other buildings so it seems that a land expansion may not be possible if they want to add a rollercoaster for instance. The addition of something like a drop tower would be really great or even one of these compact coasters with a small footprint. In Johannesburg the weather is fair so they will not have problems with height restrictions. In Cape Town however they have very strong winds so on a very windy day the higher rides are not working.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby bgtlover » Wed May 24, 2017 3:43 pm

I want White Lightnin' back (Golden Loop for those who don't know what I'm talking about). It was removed before I had a chance to ride it at Carowinds.

Seriously though, the park looks great and the ride is being taken care of quite well since it's still in operation. Maybe I'll get a chance to go one day.
Current Coaster Count: 85
Top 10:
1-Fury 325...2-Mako...3-Kraken...4-Montu... 5-Afterburn...6-Cheetah Hunt...7-Thunderhead...8-Manta...9-Volcano...10-Alpengeist

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!