TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Safety measures: false sense of security or not?

I feel like I've been dealing with metal detectors @ the gate @ Great Adv for as long as I can remember. It surprises me going to other parks that don't have them. I know its for show, but I don't mind it. Guess I'm just used to it since we've had them since forever. I always bee-line for the guests-without-bags line which is usually significantly shorter and moves considerably faster since luckily there are some of us that don't have to take their entire lives into the park.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like I've been dealing with metal detectors @ the gate @ Great Adv for as long as I can remember. It surprises me going to other parks that don't have them. I know its for show, but I don't mind it. Guess I'm just used to it since we've had them since forever. I always bee-line for the guests-without-bags line which is usually significantly shorter and moves considerably faster since luckily there are some of us that don't have to take their entire lives into the park.

I'm the exact same way. Great Adventure has had metal detectors since I was little, so I'm so used to them by now that I'm thrown at larger parks that don't have them. I don't really see the big deal.

Most of the complaints come from entitled enthusiasts who can't bare to wait an extra five minutes to get into a park. Then they cite terrorism and how if someone wants to harm people, they will, completely disregarding that preventative measures could prevent an attack or even just slow it down enough in time to figure something out.

Everyone keeps saying metal detectors are there to stop terrorism and won't do anything... But has anyone considered that threats to safety don't always come from potential terrorists, but just stupid drunk idiots who pull a pocket knife after being told a ride is closed? Or those people that feel the need to bring a gun every where they go (LOL) and it accidentally discharges, be it on a ride, in a queue line, wherever? Do people even consider these threats? People bring all sorts of crap to parks that they shouldn't be. There are incidents that happen at parks that don't make the news or social media. So just because no one has committed a terrorist attack at an amusement park doesn't mean there haven't been preventable incidents in the past that you never knew about. I believe that one less asshole with a knife at an amusement park, the better! Leave it at home.